Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Booth (Chicago): Accepted Students - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
brandon432 wrote:
mbak07 wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a third-party background verification process at Booth (like Re-Vera that they use at Duke)? I didn't see any mention of it in any admit information I have received so far. I thought background verification is standard practice at all b-schools.

They used Re-Vera last year.

Thanks for the reply. So at which point do they do it? Would they ask me to do it only once I formally accept the offer? I'm still hush-hush at work about leaving, and I don't want them to find out from a background verification company... that wouldn't be good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yes, after you accept. The consent form has a provision to delay the call to your current employer to a date you specify (with some reasonable limitation - July maybe). They won't out you.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
For those that don't know, tonight is Worldwide Booth Night. There are Booth happy hours in 90 cities around the globe. Best of all, they're free for admits. Come out and mingle with alums and, if you're in Chicago, current students.

Check it out and register at https://www.chicagobooth.edu/wwbn
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
brandon432 wrote:
Yes, after you accept. The consent form has a provision to delay the call to your current employer to a date you specify (with some reasonable limitation - July maybe). They won't out you.

Who do they usually call? HR, or the direct boss? And what do they usually ask - would they say they are calling from Booth? Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
redrose521 wrote:
brandon432 wrote:

Who do they usually call? HR, or the direct boss? And what do they usually ask - would they say they are calling from Booth? Thanks!

They use contact info you provide. Since they're just verifying dates and titles (maybe salary), most people provide an HR contact. I have no idea what the script is. I'd guess something along the lines of "performing a background check on behalf of Chicago Booth."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
I received the following question via PM, but am posting the answer here for everyone's benefit.

Q: I see most of the students live in MPP or Loop. I was wondering do students live in the graduate student housing? I noticed the price in graduate student housing is significantly less than MPP or Loop. I will be moving with my family members, so would like to find something that's reasonably priced.

A: Approximately 60% of Booth students live in the Loop or River North. Included in that number are the ~400+ Boothies who live in MPP. Other popular buildings are MDA City Apartments and Columbus Plaza. Another 10-15% of Boothies (including my wife, soon-to-be-daughter, and me) live in the South Loop (roughly from Van Buren to 18th Street). The South Loop generally offers much more space for comparable or less money than the Loop, but is a little farther from the social scene (5 minutes cab, 10-15 minutes bus/train). As a result South Loopers includes a higher percentage of families and pet owners, although many single folks live here too.

Only 5-10% of Booth students live in Hyde Park. Of those, I actually don't know any that live in university graduate housing (although there probably are some). Hyde Park Boothies are more likely to have families, be international students, or both. That said, the majority of either category still lives in Loop/South Loop/River North. The pros of living in Hyde Park include: more space for less money and proximity to campus. The drawbacks include: being a bit removed from where most Boothies live and not having as much access to restaurants, nightlife, Millennium Park, the river, Gleacher Center, and the city of Chicago in general. Hyde Park is much more limited in terms of food, grocery, and entertainment options, many of which cater to the thriving undergraduate community. The Booth community is incredibly strong, but it only revolves around Hyde Park/Harper Center during weekdays. During evenings and weekends, the focus shifts towards downtown.

The best way to get a handle on housing is by coming to Admit Weekend. There will be flyers, representatives, and tours of each neighborhood, so you can chat with current students and go get a feel for the neighborhoods yourself.

All of this is just my take. Here's the official neighborhood info and current stats from the Admitted Students site: https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ad ... g/map.aspx

Here's similar info (p. 3-5), in a slightly different format. The stats are a few years old and the rents looks 10-20% low to me. https://programs.chicagobooth.edu/intern ... 2-2013.pdf

Other great resources: Student Space (under "Resources"), https://www.domu.com, Craigslist
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi I am a U of C alum looking to rent out my unit for the next 2 years to Booth students. The unit is in a complex and area where many Booth students live.

It's a great 2 bed 2 bath split floor plan unit right by the lake, walking distance to the Michigan/Randolph and the Metra to Hyde Park.

Building has full amenities including gym, basketball court, pool, patio on the lake. Also includes facilities such as grocery store, valet parking and dry cleaning.

1200 square feet, in-unit washer /dryer

Please feel free to contact me for more details.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
They use contact info you provide. Since they're just verifying dates and titles (maybe salary), most people provide an HR contact. I have no idea what the script is. I'd guess something along the lines of "performing a background check on behalf of Chicago Booth."[/quote]
Is the contact info that you referenced the one you provided in your application or the contact info that you will be asked in the consent form? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi everyone - I have a question about recruiting, specifically for consulting. When a large firm (e.g, MBB) comes to campus, are they typically recruiting for the Chicago office, or have a preference for you to work in a Midwest office? I'm wondering how recruiting for the Boston/NY office works when they're visiting so many schools on the East Coast. How do they allocate slots/offers for each office?

Thanks!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Are you looking for Housing?

Hi Everybody,

I am an alum of the University of Chicago, and am trying to rent out two places for the upcoming school year. Both of these places are located really close to where to all the Booth students live in downtown Chicago and have different strengths depending on what you're looking for. Please contact rchan411@gmail.com if interested in taking a look, or have any additional questions. (I've lived in Chicago for the last 12 years so if you're from out of town and need help, don't hesitate to reach out)

Links:
https://155hp.blogspot.com/
https://8erandolph.blogspot.com/
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Guys, quick question for those of you accepted. When are the Random Walkings happening? Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The dates vary a bit, depending on the trip. 8/21-8/30 should encompass most of them.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
To those interested in finding a place to live, let me know. As a former Booth Executive Education student, and having two previous UCBSB folks living in our luxurious high rise condo - they LOVED the location... just steps from downtown Chicago. This is an incredible building with all the amenities (health club, dry cleaners, CVS, doorman, etc.).

It's a 1 bedroom condo, facing south, in River North area. The building is called The Sterling (345 N. LaSalle Blvd., Chicago, IL) and the unit is available on August 1st, 2014. If interested, please let me know. Thanks!!

Check it out....it's on domu now or PM me. Hope I can help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
For those admitted students who are gearing up on stuff from Amazon.com, we are eligible to a free 6 month subscription of their Amazon Student program, which gives us free 2-day shipping and some exclusive offers. It will come in handy for textbooks and stuff for our new homes. If interested, just register your .edu e-mail address to your Amazon account, through the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup ... pe=generic

Best of luck!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Booth Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Booth Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Booth Forum for all fresh things related to the Booth MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts