Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 103

By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 20:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:57) correct 48% (01:07) wrong based on 115 sessions
By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them disease- or pest-resistant, researchers have been able to increase the amount of protein in potatoes, sweet potatoes, and tobacco.

A. By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them
B. With the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, so that they are
C. Employing the same techniques used to genetically enhance plants so that they are
D. Employing the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, which makes them
E. Employing the same techniques for genetically enhancing plants that make them

Can some Guru help me in this...
I have below queries
i) what's wrong with A...what is correct way to use 'BY'
ii)Help me with usage of 'WITH'
iii) used to v/s used for v/s to v/s for
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plant [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 20:39
You need a verb which modifies "researches" , so options A and B are out. What are researches doing ? "Employing the same techniques..."
What are researches doing ? "By the same techniques used to...making them.." Does not sign right, does it ?

Option D is out because it is not clear what "which makes them" modifies. The technique or the plants ?
Option E is out for the same reason as D is out - modifying issue.

Kudo me if I was helpful ;)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 103

Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plant [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 21:57
Ivan91 wrote:
You need a verb which modifies "researches" , so options A and B are out. What are researches doing ? "Employing the same techniques..."
What are researches doing ? "By the same techniques used to...making them.." Does not sign right, does it ?

Option D is out because it is not clear what "which makes them" modifies. The technique or the plants ?

Yes D , E is clear... but i m still not satisfied what's wrong with A,B...
Do u mean we can not start sentence with Prep used as modifying clause.. .
Is the below construction wrong
With the same tech used for enhancing plants genetically, Ram enhanced white mice in the lab.

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plant [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 22:46
you need a verb which explains what are you doing " the same technique " - using it, employing it, modifying it or what ? Just mentioning the same technique and not specifying what you are doing with it is not correct. It is understandable of course but it is not grammatically clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 75

Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plant [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 06:23
sujit2k7 wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:

Yes D , E is clear... but i m still not satisfied what's wrong with A,B...
Do u mean we can not start sentence with Prep used as modifying clause.. .
Is the below construction wrong
With the same tech used for enhancing plants genetically, Ram enhanced white mice in the lab.

Structure of A: Opening Modifier, Modifier, Noun. Not valid in GMAT. It should be : Opening Modifier, Noun, Modifier

Structure of B: so that they are...., researcher ...: So (from FANBOYS) Independent clause,( fanboys missing) Independent Clause.
Therefore, Incorrect.

Option D: plants, which makes them..... As per rules which should modify "plants" which is plural. Therefore, correct S-V should be:

Plants, which make them

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 70

Reviews Badge
Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plant [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
sujit2k7 wrote:
By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them disease- or pest-resistant, researchers have been able to increase the amount of protein in potatoes, sweet potatoes, and tobacco.

C. Employing the same techniques used to genetically enhance plants so that they are
D. Employing the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, which makes them
E. Employing the same techniques for genetically enhancing plants that make them

Can some Guru help me in this...
I have below queries
i) what's wrong with A...what is correct way to use 'BY'
ii)Help me with usage of 'WITH'
iii) used to v/s used for v/s to v/s for

First question : Whats wrong with A?

A states that "By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them disease- or pest-resistant, researchers have been able to increase the amount of protein in potatoes, sweet potatoes, and tobacco."

This is unclear. The correct usage would be "By using the same techniques..." This sentence is saying that because those techniques exist - researchers have been able to increase protein in potatoes, etc. This is not true. The researchers would have to do something with those techniques to increase the protein.

Second questoin : Clarify with...

I'm assuming you mean option B here. B is essentially doing the same thing that A did. Researchers would still have to "use" those techniques. Their existence alone will not increase the protein content of a potato. This option is not saying anything along those lines. Another way to eliminate this option would be the awkward "so that they are disease- and pest-resistant, researchers have been able to increase the amount of protein in potatoes, sweet potatoes, and tobacco." In an awkward way, this sentence is saying that because there are techniques that make plants disease and pest resistant, those resistances enable researchers to increase in protein in potatoes, sweet potatoes and tobacco. But from the way this is worded it sounds like the protein increase is a result of the resistances yet they haven't been unlocked by a researcher even though the same techniques would "unlock" both. This sentence doesn't make sense.

Third question: Used to/Used for/For

Lets take the correct response and use these to make sentences that make sense. Hopefully it makes more sense by example than me explaining (I don't feel that my explaining would be as helpful.)

Employing the same techniques used to genetically enhance plants so that they are disease- or pest-resistant, researchers have been able to increase the amount of protein in potatoes, sweet potatoes, and tobacco. - Correct response.

Employing the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants to be disease- or pest-resistant, researchers have been able to increase the amount of protein in potatoes, sweet potatoes, and tobacco. - Now I made this one up, it sounds right but I'm hoping if I made an error someone else can jump in and let me know if I made a mistake :)

I'm not sure what you would use "for" solo in this situation. Anyone else?

Let me know if you have further questions!

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2014, 12:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2014, 12:35