Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos

Originally posted by washingtondc627 on 05 Dec 2011, 17:39.
Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with those who got dinged and waitlisted. I was waitlisted last year at Darden and even though I retook and improved my gmat, wrote email after email I was not able to convert to an admit. I got waitlisted or dinged at all other schools I applied to as well. It was pretty crushing, especially because I had interviews almost everywhere else. And this year I got admitted. So don't give up hope, especially if this is your first year applying. We all describe ourselves as the future superstar business leaders of the world - yada yada. But what would a real leader do faced with a setback even a defeat? Take a day off, drink some bourbon, eat some ice cream. And then plan your next move Anyway, i don't meant to lecture or say I have all the answers, I just know how it feels like, but I also know its not the end of the world. Stay strong friends
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Kudos
To reinforce the fact that invites are rolling at Darden, when offered an invite, I was only given five days to choose from (Feb 6, 13, 14, 16, and 17) and six available times each day. I would assume that later dates are reserved for people that receive invites at a later point in time, which makes sense as a way for Darden to manage the burden on the AdCom. If others have similar limited schedules to choose from, I think this points to the fact that many invites remain to be extended. By all means keep hope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call!!!
Located in NE

Last 5 months of the app process has been a great journey, a humbling one.
I got 6 straight out rejections 1 WL and finally Darden came through...

I felt great during my visit at Darden, and will be matriculating this fall.

Good luck to those who are still waiting!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
krzt wrote:
Good to know about the grading stuff. I'm a bit shy in large groups, but I guess I'm going to have to amp it up for class :).

How do you generally spend your weekends? Is it a lot of prepping for the next week or do you get a good amount of personal down time and time to socialize? And if classes go through Thursday, is Friday usually filled with career oriented stuff?

Honestly, and this is resonated even with the Darden faculty, don't worry about grades. As long as you're saying something (whether it's useful or not is a different story) and you do ok on your exam, you'll pass. However, if your gunning for straight A's, you will definitely need to speak more often than not.

Weekends are typically just personal down time. Some folks go out of town and visit nearby counties; some go to vineyards to 'detox' a bit; some start their case prep for the following week. The point is - weekends are typically yours to burn and you'll get to decide on how you burn it (Sundays, though, are the day that people get back into learning mode since learning teams will meet on Sunday 7pm to prep for Monday's cases). And yes, classes go through Thursday and Fridays are usually filled with school-related or career-oriented stuff. When you begin school, Fridays are typically used for mandatory seminars where professionals come and speak to the class about how to get through these two years of MBA. These are fun seminars as the speakers are usually very upbeat. Then there are career-related materials as well that occur sporadically on Fridays. When recruiting hits hard, there are also receptions and dinners and conferences that will occur on Fridays and the weekends.

Your weekends are going to heavily depend on how you want to spend it and what your career aspiration is. For ibanking and consulting, there will be a bit more networking events than those of marketing and general management. Darden also has various events that you may choose to participate in but they're voluntary. So you'll definitely have your personal time should you choose to.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gmatpapa wrote:
Hi Bakfed,

Is it necessary to show involvement to an prganization. I have not been a part of any organization outside my work but am a musician who performs shows with his band in hotels .. Does Darden value that kind of involvement?

Yes, I believe so. I wouldn't worry too much about not being involved with organizations outside of work. AdComs completely understand that it's quite impossible to always be involved, especially for bankers and consultants (mainly because the # of hours they work). However, think about it this way - if one person works a very regular 8-to-5 job, 40 hours a week, and for the past 5 years, did not get involved with any organizations, and compare that to a person who has the same type of job, but had been contributing to his community for 4 years straight, who's the adcom going to pick if all else equals? So think in terms like that. If you haven't done anything, I wouldn't necessarily rule yourself out. But any uniqueness about yourself should be stated. If performing is your talent and passion, and that's what you dedicated your "off" time to, by all means, showcase that! But be prepared to explain it in interview, as well as be prepare to have prove when asked for.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Sapphire14 wrote:
Has it occured to anyone that there isn't really any space to address the 'Why Darden' and 'Why MBA' questions in the Darden application?

I just realized this, as I was looking over yet another draft of my essays. With the stringent word limits, I am barely able to answer the question asked, let alone mention why I love Darden.

In which part of the application are you showing the love for Darden? Any thoughts?

I spoke with a member of the ADCOM about this. She said "We got tired of reading about how great the case-method was. It was the same response each year. When you come to interview, that's your chance to show off all your Darden knowledge."
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Folks -

Just wanted to chime in here and offer up some help since Darden is really putting everyone to the test this year. One question? BOLD MOVE. Darden is really forcing applicants to think, to be strategic, and to put their best foot forward. And they're making it harder than most other schools, who offer applicants a few chances to say what they gotta say and show who they are.

So...with all that pressure, what do you? How do you answer? Where do you start?

How about here: https://www.precisionessay.com/2011/08/2 ... nalysis-2/

We dug into the Darden question (deep) and have a few ideas. Hope that's helpful!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gmatpapa wrote:
Are there any guidelines for formatting the essays- line spacing etc?

I do not believe there is any guidelines. What's going to happen is even if you type it out in Word first, when you copy/paste into Simplicity, everything becomes a "wordpad" type of essay. You can go in and put in indentation is you'd like, but single space would certainly be fine (at least that was last year's format). Either way though, it will be the content of the essay(s) that will matter, not the single/double indentation/none.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
BlueRobin wrote:
For the elevator pitch essay, do we include short term career goals or is long-term vision better. It is tricky because if your choosing "dream company" then you mention short-term. However, if angel investor then long-term. I am a little bemused thinking whether both goals can be written?

Any suggestions.

I would pick an avenue (dream company or angel investor) and use the best goals that make sense with that situation. If you are doing angel investor and your long term goal is to start a company, I would focus on that. If its your dream company, it would really depend where that company fits into your future plans, short/long or somewhere in between. I think the key here is to tell a story that is concise and can express your passion for your goals.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Gryphon wrote:
I haven't submitted yet. I want to insert a different resume than the one I originally uploaded. I just changed a couple of words, but Simplicity apparently doesn't allow you to delete an uploaded document. Is anybody else running into this challenge? Am I doing something wrong?

I also changed my resume slightly. I however simply replaced the existing one on Simplicity. Just below my essay, there was a button saying "Choose File", I clicked on it, gave the new file name and did a "Save and Continue...(to the next page)" and it worked like a charm..I don't think there's any option to delete any document once you've uploaded it to Simplicity, you can only update it..

Hope this helps!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
May I request every one who has submitted the app or is planning to submit one in future rounds to update the school details on their profile using this link -
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ucp.php?i=164

This will help all of us have access to much more accurate & meaningful stats...

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
From my conversation with the admissions representative, It looks like the invitations for interview will be sent out starting from tomorrow... Keeping my fingers crossed..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
SK123456 wrote:
Is there any way to confirm that your application has been submitted for round one other than the fact that the application status changes to "application submitted" prior to the round one deadline?

Thanks!

I got an automated "Application Submitted" e-mail the day I submitted mine.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2218 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
SK123456 wrote:
Is there any way to confirm that your application has been submitted for round one other than the fact that the application status changes to "application submitted" prior to the round one deadline?

Thanks!

If you submitted before the R1 deadline tab disappeared from simplicity, you were in time..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
LionsSBC12 wrote:
Congrats! Thanks for sharing. Did they lead off with 30 minutes for you to tell them about yourself, or did they facilitate the entire interview with normal questions?

Standard tell us about yourself question - I probably went for about 15 minutes or so. I did not ask them if they wanted to hear a 30 minute speech, in hindsight that was a good thing because I am afraid I would have rambled on if I had to fill 30 minutes. Some follow up questions afterwards, why MBA, why Darden, personal passions, professional aspirations etc.

Do you have your interview soon?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I completely second xzeppelin's interview experience and what he mentions regarding the interview process.

I had my interview via Skype. Unfortunately for me it was only for 30 minutes. There was only one basic question. Tell me about yourself in a chronological manner. Anything that you want to cover is fair game. So I spoke a bit about my family, schooling, college & work and how each one had impacted my personality. I was running short of time and that's why we could only devote about 5-7 minutes for the Why MBA & Why Darden questions. That was followed by 2-3 minutes of me asking some questions. Overall the interview was very conversational. There was no cross-questioning and none of Why this or Why that stuff...

Keep a photo ID handy. The interviewer will check your photo ID right at the beginning. This is mentioned quite clearly in the mail that Darden sends but thought of pointing it out nevertheless.

Bottomline - Keep your story ready - cradle to interview chair. And be prepared to tailor it based on the time. You could be asked for a 15 minute monologue or a 45 minute monologue. I had a tough time incorporating all elements of my story within the time limit.

The interviewer said that the process they normally follow is like this-
1. Two reviewers read your file and if both of them give their consent, the applicant is invited for interview.
2. A third reviewer, who hasn't read your file interviews you and after the interview proceeds to read your file. (The interviewer will continuously take notes during the interview for this reason, be prepared to be talking to his / her hair while he / she is busy taking notes)
3. Based on the interview and the third reviewer's assessment of the file, the file will be finally handed over to the Director of admissions.
4. The Director will finally take into account all the three reviewer's assessments before passing a final judgement on the application.

I think I covered it all. Let me know if any questions!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts