Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 2.86
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I applied in R1

Gemini66 wrote:
ajayiitr wrote:
Waitlisted without Interview!! :o

I have no clue right now what I should do. The email says that FAQ section is updated to answer questions on the waitlist process. Couldn't find that link on Duke's website.

Any suggestions on what to do next to possibly get an interview and to convert it to an admit :?:

Hi Ajayiitr,

Did you apply for R1 or R2?
I applied for R2 and eagerly waiting for an invite...The wait is killing !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
I'm in, too!

I was lucky that I did not pay the application fee when I submitted my application due to the system error. I remember somebody mentioned that those people who did not pay would most likely end up paying the fee. However, they have not asked me to pay the fee and I am hoping they would not ask me to.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
so you still havent paid the app fee, yet were accepted? I'm surprised they never got in contact with you to collect.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
ebonn101 wrote:
so you still havent paid the app fee, yet were accepted? I'm surprised they never got in contact with you to collect.

Yup. I was accepted without the app fee. I submitted my app on the due date so I panicked a bit. Then I called the admission office and asked a lady how I could pay the fee, surprisingly, she said "consider it as a gift".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Got a call from Steve in Fuqua Admissions around 11:30 AM EDT - 50% scholarship! I am just so excited and thankful, especially coming on top of the admit yesterday, which in and of itself was phenomenal. The big decision now lies ahead, but I have to say I was pretty blown away by the resources at Fuqua when I visited for my interview.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
rrhallqu wrote:
Got a call from Steve in Fuqua Admissions around 11:30 AM EDT - 50% scholarship! I am just so excited and thankful, especially coming on top of the admit yesterday, which in and of itself was phenomenal. The big decision now lies ahead, but I have to say I was pretty blown away by the resources at Fuqua when I visited for my interview.

Wow! :shock: Congratulations!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
rrhallqu wrote:

BIG CONGRATS!!! Glad to see they've started making calls sooner than the 2 week timeframe they gave. Does this mean if we don't get a call within two weeks, it's implied we need to pay full price? It's kinda like a passive rejection for scholarship...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
onechance wrote:
threestripes, would appreciate your thoughts on the following. I never came back to the Duke thread after I saw "Not invited" in the decision on the 17th/18th of December. I had applied in Rd 1. Last night I got this email from Duke saying "You may now access your decision online". For a moment, I thought this was a technical glitch or something. C'mon, how many times are you going to ding me? Then I said to myself, well, what do I have to lose?

So I checked and boom!
"The admissions committee at The Fuqua School of Business has reviewed your application for admission to The Duke MBA, and determined that an interview will be necessary in order to fully assess your candidacy. Your application has been placed on our waitlist to allow for the scheduling and completion of an evaluative interview."

So I accepted the waitlist decision. I thought I'd ask you (or anyone else who knows something about this)
- If I should do anything in the meantime other than wait to hear from them on the schedule? What I mean to say is should I or am I also supposed to send them any update etc. or is an update meant only for those who have been waitlisted after an interview?
- I thought "Not invited" meant a ding and not 'ding OR waitlist'. So is this a good sign that they found me not good enough to interview in Rd 1 but for yield management or for whatever else they have invited me to interview now?
- I guess GC is not a reperesentative sample of the many that apply to Duke, but anyone else here who got a "Not invited" decision in Round 1 but has been invited to interview in Round 2?

I would probably just call the admissions office and see if they need anything from you to schedule the interview. If you are flexible and can travel to Durham, might be worth mentioning. Good luck with the interview!

rgupta, thanks for your advice. Congrats on the admit. Unfortunately, at this moment, I won't be able to fly to the States. I just hope I get to interview with an alum in India. I checked the FAQ on the website and the answer to "I was waitlisted for interview. What should I do?" goes something like this:

"You will receive an e-mailed invitation to participate in the next round of interviews in the location you pre-selected on your application. No action is needed on your part until you receive the e-mail. The admissions committee will review your completed interview evaluation as a part of your total application and will provide an updated decision on your application after the next admissions deadline. Please refer to our Web site for details on the interview invitation and decision release timeline."

So I'm not sure if I should be sending an update. Either way, I really don't have much to share as an update. I accepted the waitlist decision yesterday. Off-campus interviews for Round 2 are set to be held on 17-18 and 24-25 Feb. By when do you think I should email the admissions office if I dn't hear back from them on the schedule? Also, anyone else from Round 1 who was denied then but has been invited to interview now?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
I was also offered a scholarship over the phone by Duke admissions today. #winning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
ebonn101 wrote:
I was also offered a scholarship over the phone by Duke admissions today. #winning

Charlie Sheen fan?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
ebonn101 wrote:

Congrats .. mind sharing how much?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
Send PM
:-D 25%!!!

I'm happy to be able to decide, but the decision is everyday becoming more difficult!!!

Berkeley or UCLA are still open to offer scholarships?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Any other dual degree applicants out there? I got admitted, but for matriculation in 2013 after completing my first year at Sanford. Trying to figure out when I would find out about scholarship money... This year or next?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Send PM
Any internationals got calls about $$? I'm assuming that since we probably get our package early (international mail), maybe our info will come by mail and not phone?? I got a full ride at Darden so I def. need some $$ from Duke so I can fairly choose between them!

And also wait for rd 2 results.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
onechance wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:
onechance wrote:
threestripes, would appreciate your thoughts on the following. I never came back to the Duke thread after I saw "Not invited" in the decision on the 17th/18th of December. I had applied in Rd 1. Last night I got this email from Duke saying "You may now access your decision online". For a moment, I thought this was a technical glitch or something. C'mon, how many times are you going to ding me? Then I said to myself, well, what do I have to lose?

So I checked and boom!
"The admissions committee at The Fuqua School of Business has reviewed your application for admission to The Duke MBA, and determined that an interview will be necessary in order to fully assess your candidacy. Your application has been placed on our waitlist to allow for the scheduling and completion of an evaluative interview."

So I accepted the waitlist decision. I thought I'd ask you (or anyone else who knows something about this)
- If I should do anything in the meantime other than wait to hear from them on the schedule? What I mean to say is should I or am I also supposed to send them any update etc. or is an update meant only for those who have been waitlisted after an interview?
- I thought "Not invited" meant a ding and not 'ding OR waitlist'. So is this a good sign that they found me not good enough to interview in Rd 1 but for yield management or for whatever else they have invited me to interview now?
- I guess GC is not a reperesentative sample of the many that apply to Duke, but anyone else here who got a "Not invited" decision in Round 1 but has been invited to interview in Round 2?

I would probably just call the admissions office and see if they need anything from you to schedule the interview. If you are flexible and can travel to Durham, might be worth mentioning. Good luck with the interview!

rgupta, thanks for your advice. Congrats on the admit. Unfortunately, at this moment, I won't be able to fly to the States. I just hope I get to interview with an alum in India. I checked the FAQ on the website and the answer to "I was waitlisted for interview. What should I do?" goes something like this:

"You will receive an e-mailed invitation to participate in the next round of interviews in the location you pre-selected on your application. No action is needed on your part until you receive the e-mail. The admissions committee will review your completed interview evaluation as a part of your total application and will provide an updated decision on your application after the next admissions deadline. Please refer to our Web site for details on the interview invitation and decision release timeline."

So I'm not sure if I should be sending an update. Either way, I really don't have much to share as an update. I accepted the waitlist decision yesterday. Off-campus interviews for Round 2 are set to be held on 17-18 and 24-25 Feb. By when do you think I should email the admissions office if I dn't hear back from them on the schedule? Also, anyone else from Round 1 who was denied then but has been invited to interview now?

Hey onechance,

I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner. Fuqua is one of the few schools, which actually accept updates at any point in the application cycle. If you have any significant updates, such as a job promotion or a salary increase, then you should definitely let them know about these.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
K86 wrote:
metplastic wrote:
So how does the Calculus requirement work with the waitlist? I placed out of having to take it in college by doing well on my AP exam in high school, so I'm presuming I would need to take a class somehow (I have no idea how I would even do that by the way). But I'd really rather not waste my time taking it if I'm not going to get in off the waitlist. So would they not admit me in the summer if I hadn't taken it? It's pretty unclear to me how that would work.

100% in the same boat and would love to hear other insights on this dilemma.

I was thinking an online calculus class offered through SUNY or some other community college. I am also not sure if its worth it, especially since I was admitted into both Johnson and Stern with scholarships. I also had pretty extensive plans to travel to Asia from May to June and not sure if its worth working on a calculus college requirement to possibly get off the wait list at Duke. I want to go into management consulting post MBA. I have to do research to see if the MBB opportunities are far superior at Duke over the other schools I have been admitted into to justify the additional stress and inconvenience over the requirement. I also AP'd out of my college calculus.

(I am also waiting to hear back from Ross, Columbia, London Business School, Yale and McCombs).

Let me know what you end of up doing. I still do not know what I will do.

If anyone has any advice for someone in my boat, do let me know :)

Congrats to all the Fuqua admits and good look to those fellow applicants on the wait-list.

You should be fine. I was in the same sitch - took ap calc in high school and tested out. I asked admissions and they said as long as its on your college transcript then you are good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
deepakdewani wrote:
mumbai247 wrote:
Am in!!! Saw it at 4 in the morning (in India). Super relieved. Now to choose between Ross & Duke. This year it is going to be especially interesting (with no non US Cosigner loans at Ross).

Congrats to all R1 admits!

For people admitted from India, don't forget to join your fellow admits from EA rounds at this Google group:

https://groups.google.com/group/dukemba2014-india

There's lots being discussed and planned there including our very own India BDW in June...

Cheers!

Thanks Deepak!!!

Have requested access to the group. An India BDW would be great. Am looking forward to meeting Steve in India in a few days.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  76   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts