Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 14:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 14:45
I applied in EA as well.. How are you guys preparing for the interview?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 15:03
Early Action
devansh_god
nadtrans
aakashganga

Round 1
refurb - submitted 10/19; interview 11/17
bostonsparky - submitted 10/23

Again, just for good measure, if you are going to say " I applied in X round, can you just take an extra second and keep it going in this format?


Cheers-
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Posts: 25
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 16:29
Please note that your application will not be considered complete until fully legible transcripts are received for each college or university you have attended.

Prior Undergraduate College/University

Guys,

as per the above, i need to scan and upload a copy of the transcript here? Does it mean that i have to do so for all the colleges i have attended so far?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 16:31
deepakp wrote:
Please note that your application will not be considered complete until fully legible transcripts are received for each college or university you have attended.

Prior Undergraduate College/University

Guys,

as per the above, i need to scan and upload a copy of the transcript here? Does it mean that i have to do so for all the colleges i have attended so far?


Yup, upload a copy of all transcripts.

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 16:32
deepakp wrote:
Please note that your application will not be considered complete until fully legible transcripts are received for each college or university you have attended.

Prior Undergraduate College/University

Guys,

as per the above, i need to scan and upload a copy of the transcript here? Does it mean that i have to do so for all the colleges i have attended so far?


I uploaded scanned copies for both undergrad and grad.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 16:34
Question regarding the form. For the "Number of employees you manage directly (not indirect reports or shared staff)" does one have to be a line manager /responsible for performance reviews / salaries ... or does being a supervisor/lead of a team count?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 16:38
prospect wrote:
Question regarding the form. For the "Number of employees you manage directly (not indirect reports or shared staff)" does one have to be a line manager /responsible for performance reviews / salaries ... or does being a supervisor/lead of a team count?


Well,I was a lead for 3 projects and had atleast 4 people.But I don't manage them.They don't report to me.So kept 0.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 23:31
rgajare14 wrote:
Don't worry if you are less that the two pages as long as you are happy with the content. Mine is 1100 and I am going crazy fitting it in the two pages.


How are you having trouble fitting it on two pages? Mine is at 1,224 words (although I may cut a few sentences simply because it may be too much detail) and I have two lines to spare. I'm using times new roman, 10pt font, and 1" margins all the way around.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 05:08
ryguy904 wrote:
How are you having trouble fitting it on two pages? Mine is at 1,224 words (although I may cut a few sentences simply because it may be too much detail) and I have two lines to spare. I'm using times new roman, 10pt font, and 1" margins all the way around.


It all depends on the words you use and how it's laid out.

Essay #2 was 480 I think and it filled a page. Essay #3 was 530 and it filled a page.

For my first essay, all I had to do was decrease the margins by 0.1" and I gained two extra lines because so many of the lines were cut short because of the words I used.

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 05:32
refurb wrote:

Essay #2 was 480 I think and it filled a page. Essay #3 was 530 and it filled a page.

RF


I got 697 for Essay #2 and 573 for Essay #3.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Location: Greater New York City area
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 06:51
These are my statistics for Duke essays :

Essay 1 - 542 words
Essay 2 - 545 words
Essay 3- 528 words
Essay 4 - 1137 words

Margins: 0.5 left,right, top, bottom
Font : 10 pt, Verdana
Line Spacing: 1.5

Personally, I am not a big fan of Times New Roman. I use Verdana or Century Gothic. According to me, Times New Roman in 10 font looks too small.

I know I am little nasty on the margins. Today, my sole task is to make my essays taut so that I can make my margins 1.0 :) :)

Last edited by rgajare14 on 25 Oct 2008, 07:16, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Location: Greater New York City area
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 06:52
ryguy904 wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
Don't worry if you are less that the two pages as long as you are happy with the content. Mine is 1100 and I am going crazy fitting it in the two pages.


How are you having trouble fitting it on two pages? Mine is at 1,224 words (although I may cut a few sentences simply because it may be too much detail) and I have two lines to spare. I'm using times new roman, 10pt font, and 1" margins all the way around.


I think that's because you are using Times New Roman and I am using Verdana.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 06:08
Whoo...submitted my first app. :) Need to figure out my other schools.

Early Action

devansh_god
nadtrans
aakashganga

Round 1

refurb - submitted 10/19; interview 11/17
bostonsparky - submitted 10/23
Fall09 - submitted 10/26 Interview 11/10.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Location: Greater New York City area
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 08:35
Submitted by Duke app just now !!! But my recommenders are still to submit though.

Early Action

devansh_god
nadtrans
aakashganga

Round 1

refurb - submitted 10/19; interview 11/17
bostonsparky - submitted 10/23
Fall09 - submitted 10/26 Interview 11/10.
rgajare14 - submitted 10/26 | Interview 11/11
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 10:30
ac8706 wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
To Refurb and all those who have submitted their Duke app -

Till what detail did you follow the resume format prescribed in Duke App ? The sample resume is 1 pager and I get that they expect a one page resume and not more. But for example

  • the sample has a title of "EXPERIENCE" while I am using "WORK EXPERIENCE".
  • The sample has Education first and I have education last.
  • The sample calls "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION" while I call it "COMMUNITY and INTERESTS".



Additionally there is a slight difference in the amount of indentation I use.

What do you guys think ? Should I follow the sample intricately or I can ignore these fine details ? After all, a resume can have some personalization, right ?


My resume is similar-ish to that - 1 page, has education first and calls the section "Additional Information". I have the same resume for all my schools so I don't have to change it too much. I also am not planning to change the formatting/indentation....my version is v. legible :)


I just put my resume in the Duke format. At first I was nervous because I had a lot of detail on my true "professional resume." I have worked for 3 companies post grad and I've had 3 distinct functions at my current job. I maintained 5 lines for name/address, 2 lines for education, and 3 lines for personal info. I actually think I like it better than my other resume!! Looking at my Duke version, I definitely understand what is meant by "less is more."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 11:34
Is a suit necessary for interview? I never wore one and that would be the first time for me. :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 11:42
ryguy904 wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
To Refurb and all those who have submitted their Duke app -

Till what detail did you follow the resume format prescribed in Duke App ? The sample resume is 1 pager and I get that they expect a one page resume and not more. But for example

  • the sample has a title of "EXPERIENCE" while I am using "WORK EXPERIENCE".
  • The sample has Education first and I have education last.
  • The sample calls "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION" while I call it "COMMUNITY and INTERESTS".



Additionally there is a slight difference in the amount of indentation I use.

What do you guys think ? Should I follow the sample intricately or I can ignore these fine details ? After all, a resume can have some personalization, right ?


My resume is similar-ish to that - 1 page, has education first and calls the section "Additional Information". I have the same resume for all my schools so I don't have to change it too much. I also am not planning to change the formatting/indentation....my version is v. legible :)


I just put my resume in the Duke format. At first I was nervous because I had a lot of detail on my true "professional resume." I have worked for 3 companies post grad and I've had 3 distinct functions at my current job. I maintained 5 lines for name/address, 2 lines for education, and 3 lines for personal info. I actually think I like it better than my other resume!! Looking at my Duke version, I definitely understand what is meant by "less is more."


I don't have the personal information section in my resume, is it OK to leave it out? The sample resume is intended for job purposes, I find it weird to add that section in my resume for a B-school app. Any thoughts?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 12:03
fall09 wrote:
Is a suit necessary for interview? I never wore one and that would be the first time for me. :)



really, you've never worn a suit?!

I think you could probably get by with a blazer and slacks but if you want to be on the safe side, I'd wear a suit..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 354
Location: Texas
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 12:11
Actually, they recommend business casuals for interviews at Duke. I even called them to confirm that.
_________________

Traffic never sleeps...

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 12:58
prospect wrote:
I don't have the personal information section in my resume, is it OK to leave it out? The sample resume is intended for job purposes, I find it weird to add that section in my resume for a B-school app. Any thoughts?


I think you can go either way. I actually like it, because it allowed me to put some general commentary around my experience and discuss a bit more touchy/feely stuff that normally wouldn't be put directly under roles/responsibilities. As an example, I say that I have worked with various high level executives, including Director of X, Chief <INSERT> Officer, etc.
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2008, 12:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
64 Experts publish their posts in the topic Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants aerien 612 01 Jan 2013, 11:46
356 Experts publish their posts in the topic Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants asimov 1831 12 Jun 2012, 06:34
Duke (Fuqua) 2012-Calling all Waitlisted Applicants lilpopers 15 18 Apr 2012, 14:08
93 Experts publish their posts in the topic Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants subhashghosh 1505 13 Jul 2011, 04:12
205 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants ThomasD 2695 18 May 2010, 07:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  50    Next  [ 990 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.