Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Excited to get this show on the road!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi!

I had ruled HBS out, but attended a presentation last week and liked very much what I saw and what people told me, so I might join you guys.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys.. From the hbs application portal I can see that there is no 're-applicant essay'. Do they expect us to write how our candidacy has improved since last year - in the additional information section?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
DefyingGravity wrote:
Class of 2016 matriculant here: regarding the essay, go with your gut. If you want to write about "why HBS," then go for it, just make sure you're effectively highlighting what's important about you.

Posted from my mobile device

If you don't mind, can you please tell us your background? I've been researching people that HBS has accepted, but all I can find online are people with rockstar backgrounds. I don't feel like my background is competitive with these people, yet my admissions consultant is still telling me that I have a real shot based on how my history conveys a personality type that HBS is looking for (leadership, independent, contrarian, etc.). I've been trying to figure out what kind of people HBS has accepted that weren't necessarily able to change the world before the age of 25 haha, but all I can find are those types.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Kudos
comisads23 wrote:
Piggybacking on the advice asymmetric and DefyingGravity gave above (which are excellent nuggets), do we have a thread where c/o 2016 applicants reflect on what they wrote about for the HBS essay topic (given it's the same prompt this year)?

I wrote about how my childhood has influenced my personal and professional decisions. I know several people who took a similar approach, connecting personal and professional experiences. An admitted friend of mine wrote a poem, and another one chose not to write anything (the one person accepted without writing an essay).

You may also want to look into purchasing the HBS Harbus guide. Matriculating students were asked to submit their essays for publication. The guide also includes questions that were asked during the interview.

However, I honestly don't think this is the right approach. When you hear about or see things that other people have written, you'll start to feel swayed. What worked for one person won't work for another.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah, I agree with the one-page limit.
Maybe you can go through it one more time and ask yourself two questions:
"Does this really creates value to my resume and show the Adcom I'm a top professional?" and
" Can I put this information elsewhere in the application?"

This two questions helpe me cut about 150 words from my resumé!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi, Here is a good post from past year's discussion..........

bostonbound88 wrote:
sh00nya wrote:
That's interesting, what i am missing here is how does the adcom know the post-MBA career goals (esp for career switchers). Is it inferred? presuming the candidate does not mention it in this essay question. I did not find any other section in the application requirements that conveys / helps convey this explicitly.

For last year's application (for class of 2015) it was a VERY short question you fill out online (300 characters or something like that - essentially 2 sentences around "Why an MBA / Harvard").

From everything I've heard from Dee on this subject they really don't like the post-MBA career goal question. Their view is that it's such a hypothetical question it becomes useless. There's no way to know if you're being genuine or if you simply make up a really compelling story for your goals with no intention of actually doing that. They want to create a diverse and talented class that is prime to be successful - and for them the best predictor of future success is to look at why you've done the things you've done in your life.

Obviously it's up to you what to do with the essay but I would just warn to not make the emphasis of what you want to convey about future plans. If your future goals fit nicely with the story of who you are and where you're coming from it would probably fit quite organically. I didn't mention future goals in either of my essays last year and received an interview and only spent 2 minutes of the interview discussing future plans. Obviously they weren't interested in it for my application at least.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
FPBULL wrote:
Question for the group about resumes:

What do you all think about using the standard HBS resume format that current students and graduates use? I like it, it's one page, and they are familiar with it. Would it be faux pas?

Thanks in advance.

It's fine if you want to use it and adcom isn't going to find it presumptuous or anything. I wouldn't recommend spending hours reformatting an already-good resume just to fit HBS's format though...you'll have plenty of time and coaching on how to do that after you're admitted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Kudos
I just wanted to add my 0.02 on resumes:

Do not overlook this piece of your application; in fact, I actually think it may be more important than most people give credit for (and the essay less so). More than half of my HBS interview was spent on two hobbies listed on the very bottom line of my resume. It blew me away how detail-oriented the admissions team was (and I wrote about that in my 24 hour follow-up). Every single line on your resume should be 100% solid; do NOT embellish and do NOT flippantly put things on there. HBS will read it and hold you to it. Know it inside and out like a job interview. And put serious pursuits on there (even hobbies) and be prepared to talk about them with real passion.

If your resume is longer than a page, I would assume you just reduced your chances. HBS applications are about the art of brevity. 1 page max, and don't cheat with itty-bitty margins. Just cut out the air!

Also, while I applied in Fall 2012 (am currently HBS Class of 2015), there were 2 required essay prompts - describe something you did well, and something you didn't do so well at. I think I wrote a much more introspective and better essay for the latter. I'd encourage anyone trying to think of what to write to honestly own up to a failure or weakness in the workplace (or in another context), and how you turned it around.

DO NOT OVERWRITE! Every prior essay was 400 words each. I would shoot for your personal essay to be this length or shorter.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
snowedinboston wrote:

DO NOT OVERWRITE! Every prior essay was 400 words each. I would shoot for your personal essay to be this length or shorter.

Hmmm I appreciate your thoughts. I have heard some people recommend keeping the essay to 800 words, but not 400. Mine is currently 867 words and I am basically ready to hit submit. You've made me question it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
gotti wrote:
snowedinboston wrote:

Hmmm I appreciate your thoughts. I have heard some people recommend keeping the essay to 800 words, but not 400. Mine is currently 867 words and I am basically ready to hit submit. You've made me question it!

Most of the essays in the Harbus Essay Book are about 800 words each, so I wouldn't worry about your essay length. What matters the most is the content, as TheNightmanCometh pointed out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ZoSoKM wrote:
Keen to get some thoughts on this..would the below count as an extracurricular activity:

I was on the Graduate Committee at my workplace for about 18 months. The role was voluntary and had no bearing on my performance reviews -infact my manager didn't even know something like this existed within the company!

There's a ton of things in life - and business school - that are voluntary and have no bearing on your evaluation but that make life a better place for you/your family/your company/your school/your community. So HBS will likely well of it! If anything, the fact that you did it entirely to help out and because you thought it's fun counts for more and is more representative of you than most ECs you could put.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
masoy wrote:
gotti wrote:
snowedinboston wrote:

Most of the essays in the Harbus Essay Book are about 800 words each, so I wouldn't worry about your essay length. What matters the most is the content, as TheNightmanCometh pointed out

I'd try to stay under 1000 words if possible, but anything less than that is fine as long as you've made the points you want to make. 700, 800, 850, 900...
those are all fine.

400 would be pretty brief if you ask me.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Devon wrote:
Is it really that big of a deal if you have a two page resume? I can't possibly figure out how to cut an entire page on my resume (currently it fills two whole pages).

My essay is around 1000 words but I'll probably go through and cut it down to 850-900.

A resume (for business school or employment) is not supposed to cover everything you've done in your career. It's supposed to give the reader a general idea of your major accomplishments such that he/she wants to interview you to find out more. Going with the "more is better" approach on a resume is akin to going 200 words over the limit for a 500 word essay...to me, it just leaves the impression of "I'm more important than other people, therefore I need more space to list all the awesome things I've done."

Submitting a two-page resume likely means that the reader won't even look at the second page, so 50% of the important stuff will probably go unread. Wouldn't you rather have a one-page resume which ensures that 100% of the most important stuff is all on that single page?

I've done resume editing jobs for several clients who have 10+ years of work experience in addition to their undergrad accomplishments, and they've had no problem getting the vital bullets all onto one page. It is possible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,
With the round 1 deadline rapidly approaching, I'll try to check this forum regularly in case you have any last minute quick questions you want to ask a current student. I know this is a stressful time, but it'll be worth it in the end.

In response to the earlier question, I typically leave all essays left aligned without indenting the paragraphs. But honestly, that will not affect your admissions odds.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.81
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
jlgdr wrote:
Webster wrote:
Well, I'm in. It will be a long wait for another month or so. Early October should be exciting. . .

Do you think early october is the date when invited will be released?

This is from an email I got from HBS auto-mailer:

""Moving forward" means being invited to interview. We expect that interview invitations will be issued in early October. Interviews will be conducted from mid-October through November. All of the necessary details will be in the invitation."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
jlgdr wrote:
9W57th wrote:
Submitted in R1. Made a small mistake. The dates of graduation mentioned on the transcript are a bit different from what I mentioned on the online form.

The transcript says undergrad dates as July 2006 to May 2009 (on the basis on classes taken).

I reported it from June 2006-June 2009 (on the basis on admission date and receipt of marksheet date).

Is it a problem or am I overeating?

Its fine. Just in case you applying to other school they usually have something like dates attended and date conceived separetely.
But no biggie

Cheers
J :)

Thanks for the input. The long wait has begun.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts