Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink]
Stopping in...first post. This forum has provided a wealth of knowledge to get me through these last few months!

Applying to 3 schools R1 and then going from there. Currently active duty Air Force.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey fergs thanks for your input and congrats on getting accepted at Notre Dame. I just got dinged from Columbia. Not terribly upset since that was my reach school anyways. I just finished submitting my applications for Notre Dame and Duke. Just playing the waiting game right now....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GRE 1: Q168 V158
GPA: 2.47
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thanks! I was pretty excited to get the acceptance to Notre Dame, it has been a dream to be there for a while. I had a reach to HBS and Cambridge, both gave me the cold shoulder without even interviewing me so I know the rejection. Although not too surprising. Best of luck at Duke and Notre Dame, both are very military friendly from my understanding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (M)
GRE 1: Q151 V154

GRE 2: Q156 V160

GRE 3: Q156 V162
GPA: 3.07
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
If any is interested in Sloan, please feel free to contact me. Good luck to everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Hey guys, this thread seems to have died off.

So....

Go Army, Beat Navy!

That is all.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
Send PM
ulysses03 wrote:
First post. Just received the call from Johnson today-in!

Nice! Congrats!
Director
Director
Send PM
fergsonfire wrote:
rltw it's about to be 12 years in a row... And to think the last time Army won the current plebes were 7 years old... Go Navy, Beat Army!

The last time Army beat Navy, Apple released the iPod. Really puts things into perspective.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Making the trip to Baltimore next year to see Navy make it 13 in a row!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Long-time GMAT Clubber here. I separated from the Air Force this summer and just wrapped up my first semester at Haas. Happy to be a resource for any vets applying to Berkeley this year. Feel free to PM me directly or post a comment. I'm also happy to connect you with someone from another service at Haas.

One thing I did want to note is I've been very surprised by the level of support for vets at Berkeley and the Bay Area in general. Definitely a very positive environment to have transitioned into.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
I have a feeling my GMAT is way too low. I have a pretty diverse background since I've been in the SOF community for a while, but I doubt that will set me apart too much. I think it's going to be a disappointing winter.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
JLong145 wrote:
I have a feeling my GMAT is way too low. I have a pretty diverse background since I've been in the SOF community for a while, but I doubt that will set me apart too much. I think it's going to be a disappointing winter.

Can you tell us more about your undergrad profile? A 3.5 GPA might really help you here depending on major/school. I'm sure you have some amazing experience and if you conveyed that well through your application, I don't think it will be a disappointing winter!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rennation wrote:
JLong145 wrote:

Can you tell us more about your undergrad profile? A 3.5 GPA might really help you here depending on major/school. I'm sure you have some amazing experience and if you conveyed that well through your application, I don't think it will be a disappointing winter!

I went to Ohio University and double majored in Finance and Economics. I was also the president of a 100+ student professional business organization called Phi Gamma Nu. That and ROTC pretty much took up my time. I've deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and spent some time in South America. In my optional essay I wrote that if you only used my business classes, my GPA would have been a 3.77. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I transition this summer and the wife and I are really counting on this.

Congrats on HBS and Ross! That's quite the accomplishment!!
Director
Director
Send PM
JLong - if you want to hedge your bets, Johnson's Round 3 deadline isn't until Feb 12. It's also not the "dreaded Round 3" at other schools since Johnson takes applications on a rolling basis after that until April, and Round 3 applicants are still in consideration for all scholarships.

Hope you get some good news in Round 2!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
JLong - if you want to hedge your bets, Johnson's Round 3 deadline isn't until Feb 12. It's also not the "dreaded Round 3" at other schools since Johnson takes applications on a rolling basis after that until April, and Round 3 applicants are still in consideration for all scholarships.

Hope you get some good news in Round 2!

I like hedging my bets... the essays seem a little tricky but I'll give it a shot. The worst they can do is say no right? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fergsonfire wrote:
JLong I wouldn't worry too much about your GMAT. While it is lower your GPA is still pretty good and you have intangibles that others do not. With regards to the essays, be yourself. Don't sugar coat, don't reword things to sound better, just be straight forward, honest and open. I have a terrible GPA and made it to Notre Dame I imagine only because of my character and what I have done with my work life. Now, if you wanted to take it again, I wouldn't stop you, but I think you have the strength to get beyond that by giving the admissions board an insight into who you are more and what this means to you.

Congrats on ND! That's an awesome opportunity! I literally took the GMAT with about 30 days of studying because I decided to deploy instead of getting out when I originally planned. That's also why I applied RND 2 to a lot of places; the whole deployment threw off my timeline. I just got back less than a week ago and I'm afraid I would still need another 30 days to get anywhere close to what my math should be.
Director
Director
Send PM
JLong145 wrote:
I just got back less than a week ago and I'm afraid I would still need another 30 days to get anywhere close to what my math should be.

Do you know what you want to recruit for? There are a couple of reasons why re-taking the GMAT to get a better score isn't a bad idea:

1) You want to go into consulting or banking. Those two fields want GMAT scores of 700+ on your resume.
2) You get waitlisted somewhere and your GMAT score was the weak spot. Much easier to update the adcom that you got a better score than to write an update email that you plan on taking it again soon.

Just some things to think about.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Nonprofit
Send PM
Hello all,

I have been snooping on the forums for a few days and finally decided to post. I am currently an active duty enlisted Airman (E-3) working in contracting and acquisitions. I have less than two years remaining on my enlistment and I would like to attend a MBA program once my enlistment ends.

Before enlisting, I was a student at a top 50 private school on the east coast. I spent four years in school in which I did not graduate and subsequently accumulated a paltry 2.3 gpa. I am currently finishing my undergraduate degree in Health Sciences with a Management concentration at Excelsior College (online), a regionally accredited non-profit school in NY state. While I was in college, my low grades were caused by immaturity, issues with my girlfriend at the time, and being coerced by my parents to complete a degree in which I did not desire. I decided to enlist to take a break, grow up, and gain a sense of responsibility. Since enlisting, I have grown up tremendously and I am determined to succeed.

I have taken 8 classes at Excelsior so far with a 4.0 gpa from the school with 2 more classes to go. Do I have a plausible shot at a top 30 B-school if I attain a 700+ on my GMATs given my cloudy past and lack of prestige of my degree granting school? I have my eyes set on Columbia, Fuqua, Darden, Anderson, Haas, and Stern.

Any insight, information, and advice would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all Fall 2014 applicants!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7