Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
peppermuncher wrote:
Sandy, for answers to these interview questions, should we focus on just professional experience, or should we mix in 1 community/volunteer experience? Thanks.

Some interviewers are going rogue and asking you specify e.g. a conflict w. two or more peeps at work. If the interviewer does not specify, just give the most robust answer you can, interviewer is just a near-robot [the process is designed that way!!!!] who writes down what you say and scores you on a scale e.g. if you addressed issues, took leadership, managed conflict, listed outcomes and made improvments, shaped the outcome, added value, made it easier for others to contribute , etc. etc. A great answer on those points about how you resolved a conflict between PE shops who were flipping Simmons Mattress for the 14th time and destroying the company gets a 4 while a "thin" answer about how you solved a small disupte at a refugee camp about where to house and care for rape victims gets a 2, if there were not enuf conflicts, and all you did was convince one other person that rape victims would be better off living together so they could help each other, and that was what you thought of as the answer, b.c. you had not been prepped, and it just came to mind, and then the robot kept asking you what else, what else, what did you say after the victims were safe, and all you can say is, THANK GOD, which is not what Wharton Robot is looking for, b.c. it did not add value to your dispute settling bullet list, but the Simmons Mattress guy had read this post and came in loaded for bear w. lots of conflicts and some BS about all he did [to help destroy the company].
WAY TO GO WHARTON. for good details on rape of Simmons Mattress, and how to use this for your advantage in the Wharton Idiot Interview see, At Simmons, Bought, Drained and Sold, Then Sent to Bankruptcy ...https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/business/economy/05simmons.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
ronaldo9 wrote:
So i understand people's reluctance to post the interview slides/questions here. Any chance someone can PM a link or something?

From what I've heard, the slides are likely proprietary training materials that belong to Wharton and are given only to interviewers. I think it would be a breach of ethics for anyone other than interviewers to have those. I don't have them and I don't want them.

A number of sample questions were posted by ppop quoting Sandy - a couple of pages back in this forum. They were also Sandy's thread on Business week. Feel free to search for those.
Kudos
1. Is it important to give your business card during your interview? I have an interview at Wharton in a few days but i'm out of business cards.

THEY KINDA KNOW WHO Y0U ARE ALREADY AND HAVE YOUR RESUME, SO DO NOT GIVE THEM BUSINESS CARD.

2. Given a choice between phone interview (with an admissions officer or 2nd year student) and face-to-face alumni interview (in a country other than your country of residence) which one would you suggest?

HOW GOOD IS YOUR ENGLISH? PHONE INTER. WITH FLUENT BUT LESS THAN PITCH PERFECT ENGLISH SPEAKERS CAN BE ANNOYING, ESP. SINCE ADCOM OFFICIAL WILL ALSO BE WRITING DOWN ALL YOU SAY, AS PART OF NEW WHARTON PROTOCOL. I WLD TRY TO DO THIS FACE TO FACE, IF NOT A SUPER HASSLE. ALSO, FOR LOTS OF REASONS, ALUMS MAY BE EASIER GRADERS IN NEW FORMAT, B.C. EXPERIENCED ADCOMS WILL ALREADY HAVE HEARD TOTALLY PREPARED ANSWERS FR. KIDS WHO KNEW THE EXACT QUESTIONS BEFORE AND THEN SPENT HOURS PREPAPRING EXCTLY THOSE ANSWERS W. FRIENDS AND CONSULTANTS, AND THOSE GOLD LEVEL ANSWERS BECOME THE NEW NORMAL.
Kudos
greenchicken wrote:
inwaitmode wrote:
kegewe wrote:
Was the experience friendly, or 30 mins of police interrogation?

Thanks!

the experience was a combination of the 2 because there was a lot of writing going on.

yes, and they are instructed to tell you that even tho they will be writing like an idiot, you should continue to make eye contact w. them, b.c. how well you use body language etc, is one of the things they report on, even tho the entire situation is abnormal and they are not looking at you--despite this, Wharton still thinks this is a good system. How well you can interact w. someone who is not interacting w. you, but instead taking freakish and massive notes.
and as noted, really GREAAAAAAT way to sell the school.

also, another plus, they have hired and trained kids to conduct these interviews in hubs who are
1. Not Wharton Grads
2. Do not have MBA's
but the last 10 minutes of the interview, you are supposed to ASK THEM any questions YOU have about Wharton--because, after all, THEY NEVER WENT THERE AND DO NOT HAVE AN MBA.
Yes, I have a question? I was wondering if you could tell me the difference between a stock and a bond, and if you cannot, WHAT THE FRIG ARE YOU ASKING ME TO ASK YOU QUESTIONS ABOUT WHARTON???????
I have another question? At HBS and Stanford I was interviewed by a real human being w. an MBA? And we had an actual conversation along w. some questions tailored to my story and situation and it was friendly yet productive and I left feeling positive--I mean, I realize that 1. you dont have an MBA and two, never went to Wharton, so like I dont want to strees you, but . . . .if you never went to Wharton, why the hell should I?????
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Kudos
waitingforemail wrote:
This interview fiasco is seriously hurting my image of the school

I am interviewing this Thursday with an alumnus and of course will prepare robust answers to each of the questions I've read from Sandy (thanks btw..).

I am debating just laying all the cards out on the table for the interviewer

" I know all of your questions and I have the answers ready.. let me send them to you an e-mail. Let's have a real discussion about Wharton and whether it's right for me."

Sounds a bit like the kid in high school who wanted to protest a final and suggested a mass walkout....and was then the first person in his seat waiting for exams to be handed out....
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
hbsguru wrote:
mbaaspirant11 wrote:
for those who may have missed this:

https://engage.wharton.upenn.edu/MBA/blo ... und-1.aspx

clearly mentions that interviews will have behavioral questions and answers other FAQs

pleeeze, that is CYA "fine print" post (dated quite recently, and sorta impssble to act on by early interview takers) that could only be fully understood after the Questions leaked and this rukkus began, and it does not say that the interview in TOTO will be 3 questions, out of possible 6, and the same questions will be asked to everyone, and your answers will written down and faxed to adcom by a monkey-scribe. I also love this final tip

The key is to relax, be genuine, and enjoy the opportunity for us to get to know one another.
How exactly? when the interviewer instructs you at the get go not to be spooked by the fact he is not really looking at you, but instead writing down what you say? And what kind of oppty are they offering to get to know a contract worker who does not have an MBA and did not go to Wharton.
No, the key is actually to prepare your brains out, read blogs like this, and create some BS answer which hits their grading grid of McKinsey BS about adding value, providing oppty for others to be heard, facilitating compromise, taking initiative, and also baking cookies and leading the clean up. My model answer, in prev post, was actually BETTER than their grid since it included some reflection on what could have been improved, if you were to do same thing again (no pts for that on their grade sheet), and some ethical considerations about how flexible to be w. legal standards for low cost insulun testing devices.
The entire Wharton culture surrounding this process is one of top-down command and control process and micro management --down to grading guides out to decimal pts, secrecy, standardized instructions, and their MANTRA of metricize everything.
Dont they trust their own friggin adcom members and students to be able to make a sensible and humane acct of who wld fit in class, and whether anyone cannot communicate or speak English?? Apparently not. The document you cite us to is typical Orwellian Big Brother Double Speak, and that is what this process reminds me of. And just who is going to read all those faxes by the way, a warehouse full of notes by donkey alums? really rich.

Ok, honestly Sandy, we get it. You're not a fan of the new Wharton process. I don't think I'm alone here when I say the following: Please get over it and try to be a bit more constructive.
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
Kudos
hbsguru wrote:
minime2 wrote:
hbsguru wrote:
the only kids smarter than you

Let stop you right there. Smarter than me?

ha,ha, you're pretty smart, w. a great line of gab, but your silver pen comes in 2nd to silence being golden :wink:

then why aren't you silent?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
So like any other member, I visit this forum today and see 3 pages worth of postings. Before reading, I think - what must have happened today that there are 3 pages of posts...Then I read them ..what do I see?

Discussion on a pretty insignificant topic over a larger scheme of things...

Really guys?

PS - All you guys doing interviews on Friday wanna meet up for a coffee or something. PM me if any interests. Maybe we can relax and chit chat after the interview is done...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
Hi,

What is the maximum word count for each essay submitted by a recommender?

For Harvard it's 250 words, but for Wharton I could not find any info about that.

There is no limit for Wharton recommendation letter as far as I know. I do know that one of my recommenders wrote an extremely detailed letter touching 4 pages.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
all questions were expected - i hope that helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
Kudos
staind wrote:
I believe all other threads have members giving details on what questions they were asked.. take a look at recent posts in HBS and Booth threads for example.. not sure why people on this forum seem to suggest they dont want to know or reveal that information or that it is unethical? NYU ad com actually makes it a point to note that students share questions during job interviews as an example of their collaborative community.

I agree. To suggest you aren't the least bit curious what questions are being asked is a 100% lie. To not describe how your interview went is another thing. I also don't understand the sudden competitive environment the Wharton thread is fostering for R1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I have interview in few hours, wish me luck.......will post my experience after that.

@pbiddy4life, I completely agree with you. The other threads are more open and I won't be surprised if some of the same people from this thread and sharing more on the other threads. I think its more like a herd mentality that if no1 is sharing I won't do it either.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
it was a 30 min interview and included 2 questions that i asked the adcom
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
i agree, not a great way to sell the school. had to cut my questions short after she told me that she wasn't very up to date with school specific initiatives.. but I don't really think that part really matters, all they are required to report is the three responses.
there was definitely a list as she circled a question on each page, but it looked to me like she circled the same places on different pages, yet still asked different q's..
Kudos
Interesting quote fr. new Talib (Black Swan guy) book in New York Times today, "There are two types of people, those who want to win arguments and those who want to win."
Friends, which type are you????

HA HA, OF COURSE, I AM THE TYPE WHO LIKES TO WIN ARGUMENTS, BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO DOOM YOURSELF TO BE LIKE ME, YOU CAN SHUT UP, DO WHAT I TELL YOU, ADMIT I AM RIGHT, AND GO TO WHARTON. WHERE YOU WILL FIND THE PROFESSORS ARE WAY SMARTER THAN THE DWEEB/HIPSTERS NOW RUNNING THE ADCOM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
Schools:London Business School Class of 2013
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys! :done

Had my hub interview today..i would say it was a very pleasant experience...was the same 3 question format :beer (for sandy)..teamwork, conflict, leadership..mostly on lines with what other ppl hv posted here..it took me sometime taking off, essentially my 1st answer could have been better, in terms of timelines..because i felt they make it a point that each of those three get about 8-9 minutes of attention..so I perhaps finished it too quickly..therefore it got followed up by a couple of questions by the adcom member..bt the rest 2 were completely fine, except the fact that i asked for a moment to think on the 3rd question, as i could not immediately come up with a story :writer , bt she seemed pretty ok with that.

The last part, when we got to other questions/information from my side, was interesting..i used that to elaborate a bit on my 'story' :band ..and she started writing some points from there as well , which is contrary to other ppl's views here that they don't write anything from there...all in all it was a good pleasant experience..the adcom member was very friendly..we had a nice conversation during that last part and at the time of leaving..she even gave me her email address so that i can write to her on a specific info I had asked her during my questions, or for any other info that i might require.

:idea: My overall suggestion is just focus on your key 4-5 stories that you would have written in your essays anyways..and try your presence of mind to link up to any question asked with 3 of them.

Now the wait begins :sleep
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
dundundun wrote:
neildiamond wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:
everyone who I talked to who was there and was also interviewing (on the tour, at lunch, etc.) had no idea that the interview format had changed and were only ready for "Why Wharton" etc.

That's great news, well, for us gmatclubbers. How did you know that they weren't prepared for the behavioral questions?

I would guess a non-trivial % of people might know, but never admit they know? The first hit when you google "wharton interview" now lists all six questions, so...

What is this "google" you speak of?

This might help
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  167   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts