Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
randomapplicant wrote:
Will we get an email/status update once our interview feedback has been submitted, or will the next communication from Booth be the admission decision? Also, will we all get our decision on Dec 19, or will decisions start trickling in in a few weeks through to the 19th?

There is no status update after the interview is complete. The next update is the decision. Booth does not trickle out decisions. They call admits the day before the official decision day. WL and dings are communicated via status update on the 19th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Can anyone speak to the on-campus culture at Booth? I mean how students interact, live, sense of community, etc.
VP
VP
Send PM
astrochris wrote:
Can anyone speak to the on-campus culture at Booth? I mean how students interact, live, sense of community, etc.

Typical interactions include wrestling in the mud pit in the middle of the Harper Center winter garden and group naps in the study lounge. We tend to live in 100 people communes and eat from the land. We all love each other.

Can you maybe be a bit more specific?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
astrochris wrote:

Typical interactions include wrestling in the mud pit in the middle of the Harper Center winter garden and group naps in the study lounge. We tend to live in 100 people communes and eat from the land. We all love each other.

Can you maybe be a bit more specific?

I love the school and it`s one of my top choices, but it has a reputation as somewhat of a commuter campus - students take the train in, watch a Nobel prize winner teach a class, and go home to do homework. At least that`s the image Booth has at my firm, and some older alumni haven`t done exactly much to dispel that. More specifically, to what extent is this true or not true? How has it changed over the years? Has Booth have a stronger community now than in the past, or than the above stereotypes dictate?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I was wondering the same thing, but the person I interviewed with said that it was the best 2 years of his life. Even though people are spread around the city, you meet so many people and there are always social activities. He said the only time you're ever at home is when you choose to be.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
astrochris wrote:
I love the school and it`s one of my top choices, but it has a reputation as somewhat of a commuter campus - students take the train in, watch a Nobel prize winner teach a class, and go home to do homework. At least that`s the image Booth has at my firm, and some older alumni haven`t done exactly much to dispel that. More specifically, to what extent is this true or not true? How has it changed over the years? Has Booth have a stronger community now than in the past, or than the above stereotypes dictate?

You're right that most students live downtown and commute 20 minutes to hyde park everyday, but I wouldn't call it a "commuter school" in the traditional sense. There are so many club activities and meetings, guest speakers, study groups, recruiting events and other activities going on everyday at the Harper Center that most students are at Booth all day long. Furthermore, the majority of the students living downtown live within a 3 square block radius, so even when you're not at campus, you're within shouting distance of hundreds of other students.

In regards to what the older alumni have told you, I don't think Booth had as strong of a community 5+ years ago when the business school was decentralized and spread-out across campus. I'd recommend talking to more recent alumni or current students, who I think for the most part would agree with me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
That was a big reason I didn't apply to Booth.

Originally posted by codytravers on 08 Nov 2012, 17:04.
Last edited by codytravers on 17 Dec 2012, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
MDF wrote:
astrochris wrote:

You're right that most students live downtown and commute 20 minutes to hyde park everyday, but I wouldn't call it a "commuter school" in the traditional sense. There are so many club activities and meetings, guest speakers, study groups, recruiting events and other activities going on everyday at the Harper Center that most students are at Booth all day long. Furthermore, the majority of the students living downtown live within a 3 square block radius, so even when you're not at campus, you're within shouting distance of hundreds of other students.

In regards to what the older alumni have told you, I don't think Booth had as strong of a community 5+ years ago when the business school was decentralized and spread-out across campus. I'd recommend talking to more recent alumni or current students, who I think for the most part would agree with me.

I've heard the South Loop is an up-and-coming area and is full of Boothies. Is that the spot you're talking about?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
codytravers wrote:
That was a big reason I didn't apply to Booth. I didn't like the idea of trudging to campus on public transportation during the Chicago winter for a recruiting event, while possibly getting shot on my way back to the bus stop. :-D

Hyde Park is the 3rd safest neighborhood in Chicago. Please remember that Chicago is a major city so of course you need to be careful. However, that can be said of Philly, NYC, Boston, etc. Exercising common sense goes a long way toward staying safe.

As for trudging to campus for a recruiting event, it's not really like that. Most of the time you are here regardless, whether it be for class, study groups, club meeting, etc. Almost everyone keeps a suit in their locker so that they don't have to wear it all day or go home and change before a recruiting event.

Also a lot happens downtown at the Gleacher Center so you don't always have to come up to Hyde Park. No matter where I am most of my time is spent with my classmates. Very few people just come to school, do recruiting, and then go home, never to be seen otherwise. I would say that Booth has an amazing community that's very active. Am I around all 576 of my classmates all the time? No. That would be impossible to do. Is 80% of my non class time spent with other Boothies in some capacity? Definitely. And I would say the majority of my classmates would say the same.

This message sent to you from the Harper Center
VP
VP
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
MDF wrote:
astrochris wrote:

I've heard the South Loop is an up-and-coming area and is full of Boothies. Is that the spot you're talking about?

No, he's talking about the Loop, which is about a mile north of the South Loop. I actually do live in the South Loop. It's probably the 2nd most popular neighborhood for Boothies to live. Lots of restaurants, close to public transit, good grocery stores, and a bit cheaper. I think that's why more students are choosing to live down here. But I would say that we all hang out together anyways. Our cabs just have to drop us off a bit further south when we all go home.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
That's true, I totally forgot about the lockers. Booth is a great school! I probably would have applied if the first round deadline wasn't so early.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
No, he's talking about the Loop, which is about a mile north of the South Loop. I actually do live in the South Loop. It's probably the 2nd most popular neighborhood for Boothies to live. Lots of restaurants, close to public transit, good grocery stores, and a bit cheaper. I think that's why more students are choosing to live down here. But I would say that we all hang out together anyways. Our cabs just have to drop us off a bit further south when we all go home.

Ah, good to know! I'll admit I was a little put off Booth at first because of the flexible curriculum and lack of academic cohorts. However, after talking to some current and former students and doing more research, I heard what you said time and time again - that the community really is more tight-knit and collaborative than the uninitiated give it credit for.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Did my Booth interview on campus. Not sure that I made my best impression, but the interviewer was nice.

I had a much better interaction with a current student who sat waiting with me and another guy for the 15 minutes before our interviews. Now, if I was running admissions, putting a second person to shoot the breeze with and casually evaluate the candidate in a comfortable setting before the interview is exactly the kind of thing I would do. Anybody know if that's possibly what was going on? We had a pleasant conversation and talked all about our backgrounds, but I was a little confused in what capacity she was there.
VP
VP
Send PM
SolidHydrogen wrote:
Did my Booth interview on campus. Not sure that I made my best impression, but the interviewer was nice.

I had a much better interaction with a current student who sat waiting with me and another guy for the 15 minutes before our interviews. Now, if I was running admissions, putting a second person to shoot the breeze with and casually evaluate the candidate in a comfortable setting before the interview is exactly the kind of thing I would do. Anybody know if that's possibly what was going on? We had a pleasant conversation and talked all about our backgrounds, but I was a little confused in what capacity she was there.

That's not what's going on. The students you interact with while you are visiting are not spies. We are there to make you feel more comfortable. No one asks us what you said to us. No one even asks us what we thought about you. We play no role in the decision making process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
SolidHydrogen wrote:

That's not what's going on. The students you interact with while you are visiting are not spies. We are there to make you feel more comfortable. No one asks us what you said to us. No one even asks us what we thought about you. We play no role in the decision making process.

Well, then you all do a good job. It was a really nice distraction and warm-up to have someone to chat with.

Too bad nobody is spying on me when I'm my most comfortable, charming self. :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
Send PM
Just got back from my interview with an alumnus at Delhi.

Standard questions were:

Why MBA? Why now?
Short term, medium term and long term goals.
Why Booth?
Tell me a of a time when you turned a negative into a positive.
Tell me of a time when you were in a team.
Any leadership experience.

Went fairly well I reckon. The alumnus was very down to Earth. Kept taking a lot of notes which was a little unnerving at first.
Hoping for the best. The next one month seems longer already.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.87
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Had my interview with an Alum.. My interviewer just asked me 4 questions: 1.Resume 2. Goals 3. Why Booth 4. Why not XYZ.. It was all done in 15 min... And then proceeded to answer my question for 25 minutes... Is this good or bad??
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts