Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 13:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

46% (02:04) correct 54% (00:48) wrong based on 146 sessions
Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed activities of the various divisions in a large firm, but by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgements as to where the firm should expand.

a) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgements as to where the firm should expand
b) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgements about where the firm might be expanding
c) they make strategic judgements on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds
d) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgements about where the firm might be expanding
e) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgement

Explanations are expected with the selected option.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 17

Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 23:08
was between A&C
sc-36596.html

The sentence is error-free. If we look at other options, then we find that (B) breaks up the simple structure of the original underlined part. (C) uses too many conjunctions (‘where’, ‘when’), thus makes it a convoluted sentence. Same is the case with (D). (E) complicates the sentence structure by using ‘allocations of investments funds as to where’ and ‘are their exercise ...‘. Hence,.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
... (A)

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 18:48
Hussain15 wrote:
Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed activities of the various divisions in a large firm, but by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgements as to where the firm should expand.

a) by their allocation of investment funds they make strategic judgements as to where the firm should expand
b) when they allocate investment funds, they make strategic judgements about where the firm might be expanding
c) they make strategic judgements on where the firm should expand when they allocate investment funds
d) by allocating investment funds, they will make strategic judgements about where the firm might be expanding
e) allocations of investments fund as to where the firm should expand are their exercise in strategic judgement

I choose C since this is the most parallel. "Corporate finance committees do not plan... but they make..."
A seems correct as well except that it's more complex vs C.
Is it true though what nitya said that there shouldn't be too many conjunctions in one sentence e.g., "where" and "when"?

What's the source and OA please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 01:19
Both A and C are appropriate. Its hard to say which one is better.

I would choose C in the test becoz it appears more parallel.
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 22

Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 01:53
IMO..
E) It says "investments fund", which is incorrect. Maybe is a typo that you made when you wrote the post, but anyway I think the construction "as to where the firm.." and "exercise in strategic judgment" is wordy and awkward. OUT
D) It says "they will", which breaks the parallelism with "[they] do not". OUT
B) Apart from being wordy "they [...], they [...]"; if "[...] might be expanding" then the allocation wouldn't be strategic but only a guess. OUT
A) Apart from being less parallel than C, I think that the construction should be BY + -ING or WITH + Noun, as it is in D (By allocating) or "With the allocation [...]", it's just my opinion though. OUT

Therefore C!

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 17:43
We all agree close call between A and C.

Picked up 'A' because when is used mostly for timeframes on GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 07:38
I'll go with A as well. Option C also has another issue .. "they make strategic judgements on where the firm .... " Strategic judgements ON doesn't sound right.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 195 [1] , given: 18

Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
It is not necessary to pick the best option.

A is error-free; therefore, like it better than C or not, A is the answer.

I feel for C when solving against a stopwatch.

Please kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 00:57
A is not parallel to Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed activities,
C when should be used only for timestamsps both the options are wrong in some way.

IMO C as it is parallel and concise

what is OA?

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In C, when we say that the committees make strategic investments when they allocate funds, the honorable question is as to what their job is when they do not allocate funds. Are they required to drift and idle? When denotes a particular moment of time, too narrow to accommodate a general conception as in the context. That is the on C cannot perform over A in spite of its concision.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Brutal SC # 38: Corporate finance committees [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 13:37
I chose C.

A - by allocating... suggests HOW they make judgements. You don't make a judgement BY allocating the funds. Seems to suggest allocating precedes the judgement. E.g. By doing X, Y is done.
C - when they allocate funds... suggests they make judgements WHEN funds are allocated. E.g. Y is done, when doing X.

C makes more sense, but I agree it's close.

OA please?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 643 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 23:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The sentence construction is as "X DOES NOT Y BUT DOES Z".
In B,The use of "might" is incorrect because this tense in not agreeing with the rest of the sentence.
In C, "when" is incorrectly used.
In D, "will make" doesn't complies with the rest of the sentence.
Does not agree with the structure of the sentence.

+1 A.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Duke '16
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 233

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 03:48

Tricky, but I would choose A (may be C, depending on the state of my mind). The main question here is to identify whether strategic judgements are made deliberately (C) or they are are the outcome of allocation of funds (A). In order not to change the meaning, I would go for A.

Kudos is the currency of appreciation.

You can have anything you want if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be and do anything you set out to accomplish, if you hold to that desire with the singleness of purpose. ~William Adams

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close to success they were when they gave up. ~Thomas A. Edison

Wir müssen wissen, Wir werden wissen. (We must know, we will know.) ~Hilbert

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 62

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 22:50
Can someone please clarify if "their allocation of investment funds" makes any sense ?
I found it really awkward, may be I am wrong.

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Duke '16
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 233

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 09:05
anshunadir wrote:
Can someone please clarify if "their allocation of investment funds" makes any sense ?
I found it really awkward, may be I am wrong.

By whose allocation of investment funds? - By the corporate finance committees' allocation of investment funds.

Hope it helps !! Don't forget a kudos if it helped you.

Kudos is the currency of appreciation.

You can have anything you want if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be and do anything you set out to accomplish, if you hold to that desire with the singleness of purpose. ~William Adams

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close to success they were when they gave up. ~Thomas A. Edison

Wir müssen wissen, Wir werden wissen. (We must know, we will know.) ~Hilbert

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 03:35
Chose C

Finance committee do not make strategic decisions but they unintentionally do so by allocating the funds which inturn determine where the company heads.

They just allocate the funds in the firm and the direction determines itself. But finance committee is the driving force behind that movement.

Choice A fits the bill perfectly.

Hope this is clear.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 02:57
But is coordinating conjunction connecting two independent sentences.
B and D – change meaning. Might is the reason. Eliminate
E – Fragment. Eliminate
C – “when they allocate” seems to tells me that it’s the timing of the allocation of funds that is critical than the allocation of funds itself. Changes meaning. Eliminate.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 04-20-2013

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 15:51
This question tests logic.
The answer should have: committees don't do X (main idea), but they do Y (main idea). And then silently ask yourself: How do the committees do Y?
A: Committees don't do X, but they do Y by doing Z. See it better? Sounds more familiar? Now, put "by doing Z" before "they do Y". Logic: First do Z (the thing that helps committees do Y), then do Y.
C: Committees don't do X, but they do Y when they do Z. Logic: You don't do Y when you do Z. Committees must know about Z before they do Y and Y and Z cannot happen concurrently.
B, D: eliminate for "might be expanding" - possibility of expansion, where the right logic should be beyond the possibility of firm expansion, a call that has been decided by the committees. Now, the committees have to make judgments to where the firm "should expand".
E: other than awkward, you want to ask yourself who does what? there is no subject.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1371 [0], given: 122

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 16:17
Hussain15 wrote:

IMO: C

Every answer except C is not parallel in structure.

Please keep in mind, if you see "BUT, AND, OR, WHILE,.....", there's a good signal of parallelism.

If you read the question, you can easily spot the structure:

X do not plan activities, but X make strategic judgements........

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 05:19
In one of the SC-notes PDFs, I read that we should avoid using "as to". One of the reasons I ruled out A.

What gives?
Re: Corporate finance committees do not plan the detailed   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2013, 05:19