Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [49]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [10]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [3]
Send PM
Re: Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons consider correc [#permalink]
Kudos
walker wrote:
230. Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons consider corrections facilities to be an integral part of the criminal justice system and question if profits should be made from incarceration.
(A) to be an integral part of the criminal justice system and question if
(B) as an integral part of the criminal justice system and they question if
(C) as being an integral part of the criminal justice system and question whether
(D) an integral part of the criminal justice system and question whether
(E) are an integral part of the criminal justice system, and they question whether

Consider X Y and usage of whether ... therefore 'D'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [2]
Send PM
Re: Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons consider correc [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
walker wrote:
230. Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons consider corrections facilities to be an integral part of the criminal justice system and question if profits should be made from incarceration.
(C) as being an integral part of the criminal justice system and question whether
(E) are an integral part of the criminal justice system, and they question whether

Consider to be and Consider as - Both are no no in gmat .
E is awkward .

D stands.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [2]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Thanks guys!

indeed "Consider to be" is out

I've found it in the net:
https://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... dioms.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ans is D.

This SC is testing the idiom - Consider X Y

‘Consider X as Y’ or Consider ‘X to be Y’ or ‘Consider X are Y’ are NOT the correct usages.

Also GMAT prefers WHETHER over IF when ever a sentence indicates a condition.

As a side note, you are posting the questions in wrong forum. Please post the SC related questions in SC forum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
walker wrote:
Thanks guys!

indeed "Consider to be" is out

I've found it in the net:
https://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... dioms.html

Walker... as per me.. the deciding factor could be the usage of 'if' and 'whether'. When ever we try to compare two things, I guess we should use 'whether'. The question here actually does.... whether X ... (or Y part has been left out)

Hence we need to choose among C,D,E.... and among them, D is the best... C is out for the being word.. and E introduces a pronoun they which isnt necessary at all!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
walker wrote:

Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons consider corrections facilities to be an integral part of the criminal justice system and question if profits should be made from incarceration.
(D) an integral part of the criminal justice system and question whether [Correct]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Clearly consider is followed by below format consider xy
So we are left with option d and e in option e they is ambiguous. Hence option d is the answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Experts, hello!

Within answer choices B and E, is the "they" either (1) ambiguous or (2) break parallelism? I don't think it's ambiguous because neither of the other plural nouns (prisons nor facilities) could question anything, so it would have to be "critics." So would the "they" break parallelism? Or is there something I'm missing?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
samgyupsal wrote:
Experts, hello!

Within answer choices B and E, is the "they" either (1) ambiguous or (2) break parallelism? I don't think it's ambiguous because neither of the other plural nouns (prisons nor facilities) could question anything, so it would have to be "critics." So would the "they" break parallelism? Or is there something I'm missing?

Hi Sam

In both options (B) and (E), there is an error in the idiomatic usage of "consider". The correct usage is "consider X Y" and not "consider X as Y" (as used in option B) or "consider X are Y" (as used in option E). Therefore, both these options are ruled out.

You are correct that "they" can only possibly refer to critics in these options. However, that being the case, since "critics" are already mentioned earlier, there is no need to use a pronoun "they" to refer to them again. As such, ambiguous antecedent is a very dicey issue on which to rule an option out. We have other errors in both these options because of which we can eliminate them.

Hope this clarifies.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons consider correc [#permalink]
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
So would the "they" break parallelism?

Hi samgyupsal, they is not breaking parallelism in B & E.

For example, in B, parallelism is between the following two Independent clauses:

i) Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons consider corrections facilities as an integral part of the criminal justice system

and

ii) they question if profits should be made from incarceration.

Of course, this option is incorrect because of incorrect idiomatic usage (consider as) and faulty use of if.
Current Student
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
samgyupsal wrote:
So would the "they" break parallelism?

Hi samgyupsal, they is not breaking parallelism in B & E.

For example, in B, parallelism is between the following two Independent clauses:

i) Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons consider corrections facilities as an integral part of the criminal justice system

and

ii) they question if profits should be made from incarceration.

Of course, this option is incorrect because of incorrect idiomatic usage (consider as) and faulty use of if.

Isn't the parallelism in B incorrect because it's not following the proper parallelism? In D the parallelism would start here: "Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons (1) consider corrections facilities an integral part of the criminal justice system and (2) question whether profits should be made from incarceration."

B doesn't follow this structure. So thus it breaks the intended parallelism.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:

Hi samgyupsal, both the sentences below are correct from parallelism perspective:

i) Peter goes to college and he also goes to sports-academy.
- Parallelism is between two clauses: Peter goes to college and he also goes to sports-academy.

ii) Peter goes to college and also goes to sports-academy.
- Parallelism is between two verbs: Peter goes to college and also goes to sports-academy.
Current Student
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
samgyupsal wrote:

Hi samgyupsal, both the sentences below are correct from parallelism perspective:

i) Peter goes to college and he also goes to sports-academy.
- Parallelism is between two clauses: Peter goes to college and he also goes to sports-academy.

ii) Peter goes to college and also goes to sports-academy.
- Parallelism is between two verbs: Peter goes to college and also goes to sports-academy.

Okay, I see. They say the same thing, but they are said in different ways! Is one inferior to the other? Or are they equal, keeping all else constant?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
Okay, I see. They say the same thing, but they are said in different ways! Is one inferior to the other? Or are they equal, keeping all else constant?

Yes, they are equal. I would definitely not suggest that you choose one over the other (in any case, GMAT would never present you with these two choices).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Critics of the trend toward privately operated prisons consider correc [#permalink]
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

When consider means “regard as,” as it does in this sentence, its object should be followed immediately by the phrase that identifies or describes that object. Thus, to be in A, as in B, and as being in C produce unidiomatic constructions in the context of the sentence. Also, although if and whether can be used interchangeably after some verbs, question if, which appears in A and B, is unidiomatic, and they in B is unnecessary. E also contains the unnecessary they, and it uses the ungrammatical construction consider… facilities are. Grammatically and idiomatically sound, D is the best choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 256
GRE 1: Q163 V157
Send PM
I'm trying to perfect my sc accuracy, so here it goes (my take can be inaccurate too so please don't take this as ultimate answer)
Option A: can be eliminated on the basis of redundancy

Option B&E : can be eliminated on the basis of ambiguity ("they" word)

Option C: can be eliminated as it talks as if the current sentence is happening as we speak.(little doubt about this)

that leaves us to option D which is free of all the above, not the perfect one but better compared to the rest.(Any suggestions would be appreciable)

Thank you!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts