Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Darden (No $) VS Kelley (Full $)

30% [3]
70% [7]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Darden (No $) VS Kelley (Full $) [#permalink]
Mo2men wrote:
lastin90 wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm facing a tough decision. Need your help:

My short-term goal is Management Consulting (not necessarily have to be MBB), I can accept consumer marketing jobs as back-up plan. I plan to work in U.S for a few years before coming back to Asia.
Kelley has generously granted me a full tuition scholarship. I was expecting some money from Darden but its financial aid letter says "no scholarship and non-negotiable". The cost difference in total is about $120,000. I will need a big loan if I choose Darden, and I love the culture in both schools.

Any suggestions? What'd you choose and why?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Both schools are great. Compered to Kelley, Darden has upper hand for MBB, while Kelley has access to second tier as mentioned above. The marketing is known at Kelley so it fits you second option. I would vote for Kelley and would not allow this huge money run away.

Also, you may check with some international alumni who work for consulting and ask them if you can have internal transfer after working a while in the US to your country, in case H1B does not work. You can search for LinkedIn profiles and contact them directly.

Thank you for your suggestion!

I did apply for Kelley for its strength in marketing, having said that, I believe Darden would give me a better chance in landing a mkt offer in U.S.
I'm also trying to see this problem in the longer run. (I'm 25 yrs old with no imminent financial pressure.) I wonder how different these two schools will influence me in terms of longterm development. (I know this is a very unfair comparison, so many things can not be measured by money, and so much uncertainties about one's future...)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Darden (No $) VS Kelley (Full $) [#permalink]
bb wrote:
This reminds me of a review of Tuck by one of your countrymen: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/tu ... -345350346
He/she were not quite comfortable even at Tuck and felt somewhat lost and the school did not meet their expectations (which if Tuck did not meet one's expectations, it is hard to tell what would), but the reality is that we all have different expectations. Unless you are very familiar with Pros and Cons of Darden, have a background that will help you with elite recruiting, I think Darden is the strongest choice you can make (how are your speaking skills since their teaching method is all cases - it is good but requires a lot of participation and engagement). perhaps could overcome a weakness you have had - no better way than to be forced to present every week.

Kelley would be a much safer bet that would allow you go back to China after a year in the US without substantial debt (living expenses will will amount for $50-60K in either location).

Both schools are fairly rural, which is what reminded me of that Tuck review....

Thank you!
Case method is a major reason for me to apply for Darden, and I like your idea about pushing myself further in this environment. I want to utilize the next two years to transfer me into someone better and stronger. Currently I'm a bit inclined to take the debt and go to the better one, although the voting above suggests the opposite.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Darden (No $) VS Kelley (Full $) [#permalink]
lastin90 wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

Both schools are great. Compered to Kelley, Darden has upper hand for MBB, while Kelley has access to second tier as mentioned above. The marketing is known at Kelley so it fits you second option. I would vote for Kelley and would not allow this huge money run away.

Also, you may check with some international alumni who work for consulting and ask them if you can have internal transfer after working a while in the US to your country, in case H1B does not work. You can search for LinkedIn profiles and contact them directly.

Thank you for your suggestion!

I did apply for Kelley for its strength in marketing, having said that, I believe Darden would give me a better chance in landing a mkt offer in U.S.
I'm also trying to see this problem in the longer run. (I'm 25 yrs old with no imminent financial pressure.) I wonder how different these two schools will influence me in terms of longterm development. (I know this is a very unfair comparison, so many things can not be measured by money, and so much uncertainties about one's future...)

You should apply to Darden regardless of the poll. Everyone has expectations and factors that affect his decision. The finical aspect is the major (loan, debt, family responsibility, H1B visa issues and getting job in US, currency fluctuation..etc). There are other people who can take loans and pursue their dreams. I believe you know your 'fit'. As long as you are comfortable with Darden, go for Darden and do not hesitate. I know international alumnus from Darden who struggled with 100% case-method because of language and participation but his team supported him a lot, in your case you love the challenge :-D

You have a valid question for long life development after graduation. It takes different forms such as attending reduced cost programs, doing research, online classes..etc. You may ask Darden & Kelley for the same program.
Take Tuck as an example https://dartmouth.edu/education/lifelong-learning
GMAT Club Bot
Darden (No $) VS Kelley (Full $) [#permalink]
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts