Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the early years of European settlement on a continent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
During the early years of European settlement on a continent [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 16:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

49% (01:59) correct 51% (01:10) wrong based on 81 sessions
262. During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.
(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of
(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of
(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue
(D) having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of
(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue

Here, I can eliminate D, E since the first clause is dependent and started with during, and second clause must be an independent clause and this independent clause should start with a subject which is 'Native Americans'.

So that left me with A, B, and C options ..
A is wrong probably meaning is not right?

I am not confident why B is wrong .... may be it should have a comma "land intimately, and this enabled " or there is no proper reference to "them"?

Can some one explain for me in detail?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 1460 [1] , given: 245

Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of ….. Were a help in the rescue of ---- wordy and unidiomatic

(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of…. distorted meaning: knew the ecology of the land and not the ecology and the land. The pronoun ‘this’ lacks a proper antecedent

(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue… the right choice using the right idiom 'helped to rescue’

(D) having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of …. 1. Helped the rescue of – unidiomatic 2. The unseemly insertion of the modifier phrase ‘having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land’ may lead to mismodification of the new comers rather than of the Native Americans

(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue …………. The unseemly insertion of the modifier phrase ‘knowing the ecology of the land’ may lead to mis-modification of the new comers rather than ofthe Native Americans

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 16:32
ugimba wrote:
262. During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.
(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of
(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of
(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue
(D) having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of
(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue

Here, I can eliminate D, E since the first clause is dependent and started with during, and second clause must be an independent clause and this independent clause should start with a subject which is 'Native Americans'.

I am not confident why B is wrong .... may be it should have a comma "land intimately, and this enabled " or there is no proper reference to "them"?

IMO C (you also mentioned indirectly).

It is not B since native Americans were knowing "ecology of the land" which helped them to rescue pilgrims.......not ecology itself....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 17:48
also B is wordy..

"to help in the rescue of"

so it should be C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2009, 02:30
I have given a try to explain why C should be the right answer. It could be worng also. Please comment.

ugimba wrote:
(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of (intimately is adv does not fit before knowing the ecology)
(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of ( 'this' raise the question here because it changes the meaning slightly. Native ameriacn helped not their knowing of......)
(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue ( Case to be considered)
(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue ( correct use of 'helped to rescue', but intimately as an adv does not fit properly)

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2009, 13:48
bigfernhead wrote:
ugimba wrote:

Is this a rule somewhere?

Yes, if first clause is dependent(in this case 'during' makes it dependent) then second clause must be an independent one (sub + verb and it can stand by itself). But I may take back one thing though ... "start with a subject which is 'Native Americans'" .... because I was solving one question this morning, the correct answer didn't start the subject itself ... there was a modifier before the subject ..but that clause was independent..

I appreciate if some one throws some more light on it ..
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 12:49
So 2 consecutive noun modifiers are not correct?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 6

Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 06:44
Hey noboru, so far as I have read, I have not come across sentences with 2 consecutive noun modifiers. Can you provide some examples and that will help us understand and explain better.

C is best here.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 08:00
Clear C.
But, Is the usage of present contineous tense, such as knowing, having and knowing in A,D,C correct??
Pls help
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 12:05
C for me too.

In B i didn't note the change in meaning by - native americans knew the ecology

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 13:50
During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.
(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of - Native americans were a help in the rescuing of ? - this is reallly horrible to the ear.

(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of - why knew- this usage is not required here ? end of the sentence is awkward.
(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue - Correct
(D) having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of - must begin with independent clause
(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue- must begin with independent clause

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 20:52
@Asthanap

During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers

I think the above text is a participial phrase acting as an adverbial modifier modifying the verb were (When were the Americans helpful).

I don't think its a clause because I don't find any verb in it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 23:58
C sounds the best.

Weird phrasing from the other answers, but the sentence begins with a subordinate clause. The subject that follows this clause should be independent.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 04:34
whats the OA??

i chose C because its more compact and to the point.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC -- European settlement [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 07:42
went with B. but thanks for the explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: During the early years of European settlement on a continent [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 06:56
ugimba wrote:

During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.

(A) Native Americans, intimately knowingthe ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of
(D) havingintimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of
(E) knowingintimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue

This is a past event.
"Settlement WAS viewed..."
"Native Americans helped..."
Keep everything past tense. Thus, eliminate A, D and E.
B is wordy.

Answer: C

Impossible is nothing to God.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: During the early years of European settlement on a continent [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 14:33
not easy at all, middle modifier, "having" in D and E can modifies the previous clause or latter clause and so is wrong.
Re: During the early years of European settlement on a continent   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2013, 14:33