It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 21:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 33

Re: During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 09:06
During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.

After removing the fluff, we can eliminate D and E.
(D) having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of
(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue

(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of : the opening sentence is in past tense.
Between B and C, B is wordy and C conveys the correct meaning in a clear and concise way. Hence C.

(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of : this enabled. What does this refer to "knowing" or "the ecology and the land"

(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 33

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 09:23
maybeam wrote:
yashii9 wrote:
During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.
(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of
(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of
(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue
(D) having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of
(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue

1st clause- modifier that modifies the noun
2nd clause (Native Americans)- Noun

These two are rightly placed. Based on this we can eliminate D & E.

2. Looking at the end of underlined sentence we can notice
a. rescue of
b. to rescue

to rescue is the correct idiom also if you dont know the correct idiom, "in the rescue of" sounds really awkward.
This leave us with C.

Hope this helps.

that was an ideed great explanation.
i wanted to clarify 2 things here

1. did u eliminate A on the grounds of correct usuage of rescue of and rescue to?
correct me, i may be wrong, but rescuing of is not a wrong idiom.

2. does intimately knowing and intimate knowledge had any role to play in deciding the choice?

Something very general,
When we use idioms separately and when we use them in sentence : we should be careful and sensible about the intention of the author so we have to be careful about the meaning as well.
Now the GMAT is also testing the meaning and you can very well expect that out of 5 ACs two will have appropriate grammatical structure but still one is the buck .
Be careful that even if the small sections of the sentence is looking correct but the meaning is not what is expected then it is probably not the right AC.
Do a 3/2 separation start from the 3 common starter ACs and find the flaw in (A) then proceed , after you are not able to find the right AC in those 3 , move on to the rest 2, then once you have chosen the right answer , fix it with the main sentence and read it, try to figure out as it is contending the next most tempting option.Meanwhile,POE will help you to eliminate atleast 2 ACs.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 75

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [2], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of
(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of

in D and E modifier (M)------M1,M2, SUBJECT +VERB+ EXTENSION IS NOT DESIREABLE ONE Unles there is no relation between M1 AND M2, SUBJECT++++++++++++

SO out D and E.

B . sentence construction is not paralell in subject matter. the sentence should have been stood as separately, though that would be wordy, clumsy, and confusing. this could be ------Native Americans ,knowing intimately the ecology of the land, helped to rescue. this refers to entire preceeding clause but i have never seen such construction as this one.

A. Initial modifier impels to deal with the active subject rather than passive one i think. so wordy and bad construction should be avoided if possible

c........officially correct so it is correct. but i am showing you some arguments to support this option. modifier with construction modifies the entire clause not a specific one in the sentence.-----"how native americans helped to rescue many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardshi" is clearly described by the modifier begins with "WITH" GOT IT ?

Kudos [?]: 16 [2], given: 10

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 48

GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 23:28
one strategy that i have read an try to follow is to try and read the sentence without the part between two (,)'s. if it makes sense, then it generally makes it to the answer choice options.

so try and read options A, B and C without the part involving the intimate knowledge.

P.S. use ths trick only if the stimulus also has a formation involving two (,)'s.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 54

WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 12:38
Could anyone let me know a reason apart from awkward construction to eliminate A.

I am stuck here with A and C.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 54

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8324 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 21:39
It is the wrong idiom that is even more important than the awkwardness( awkwardness is after all a matter of opinion) of the clause. - were a help in the rescuing of - is demonstrably a blatant idiomatic error. It should be the straight -helped to rescue-

That is why A is off the hook

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8324 [0], given: 366

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 569 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2013, 06:56
ugimba wrote:

(A) Native Americans, intimately knowingthe ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of
(D) havingintimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of
(E) knowingintimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue

This is a past event.
"Settlement WAS viewed..."
"Native Americans helped..."
Keep everything past tense. Thus, eliminate A, D and E.
B is wordy.

Answer: C

Impossible is nothing to God.

Kudos [?]: 569 [0], given: 11

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2013, 14:33
not easy at all, middle modifier, "having" in D and E can modifies the previous clause or latter clause and so is wrong.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 15:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 08:27
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 08:49
noboru wrote:
So 2 consecutive noun modifiers are not correct?

I have the same question.
I guess it is possible if two modifiers are connected using "and"?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9426 [0], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:16
sevenplusplus wrote:
noboru wrote:

Hello sevenplusplus,

I will be glad to help you out with one. :-)

Firstly, the opening modifier of this official sentence During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers is not a noun modifier. It is an action modifier because the sentence says that something happened during the xyz period.

Secondly, two noun modifiers can be uses back to back to refer to a noun entity. But yes, there should be connector between the two for ease of understanding.

In Choices D and E, the placement of the modifiers having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land and knowing intimately the ecology of the land respectively is such that it can associate with the preceding noun newcomers as well as the following noun Native Americans.

Hence, their usage in both these options is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:35
ugimba wrote:
262. During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.

A - I don't see much wrong here, except my god it's wordy. I'm not a big idiom person, but 'help in the rescuing of' sounds off. OUT!
B - 'knew the ecology and the land' changes the meaning. OUT!
C - Nothing wrong grammatically + help to rescue sounds better than A. Keep C.
D - 'having...' is modifying newcomers. OUT
E - Same as D. Incorrect verb-ing modifier usage.

C is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 98

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:54
egmat wrote:
sevenplusplus wrote:
noboru wrote:

Hello sevenplusplus,

Firstly, the opening modifier of this official sentence During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wilderness” by the newcomers is not a noun modifier. It is an action modifier because the sentence says that something happened during the xyz period.

Secondly, two noun modifiers can be uses back to back to refer to a noun entity. But yes, there should be connector between the two for ease of understanding.

In Choices D and E, the placement of the modifiers having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land and knowing intimately the ecology of the land respectively is such that it can associate with the preceding noun newcomers as well as the following noun Native Americans.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi. I have a doubt.
How do D and E modify new comers? A comma followed by ing modifier can only modify the entire clause right?
The subject of the preceding clause is continent.
Please help egmat

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 74

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9426 [1], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sarathgopinath wrote:

Hi. I have a doubt.
How do D and E modify new comers? A comma followed by ing modifier can only modify the entire clause right?
The subject of the preceding clause is continent.
Please help egmat

Hello sarathgopinath,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :)

It is true that the two verb-ing modifiers in Choice D and E are preceded by a that clause + comma. However, the clause is in the passive voice, the rules for comma + verb-ing modifiers will not be applicable on the clause. This is the grammatical part of the usage.

From meaning standpoint, the two modifiers are meant to refer to Native Americans because the context of the sentence makes it absolutely clear that the Native Americans intimately knew the ecology of the land and hence helped to rescue many pilgrims and pioneers. Hence, the two modifiers must be placed correctly to be able to perform their function without any ambiguity whatsoever. But the same does not happen in Choice D and E.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9426 [1], given: 348

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 03:33
egmat wrote:
It is true that the two verb-ing modifiers in Choice D and E are preceded by a that clause + comma. However, the clause is in the passive voice, the rules for comma + verb-ing modifiers will not be applicable on the clause. This is the grammatical part of the usage.

Hello Shraddha, I was not aware of this. Does this mean that when we have a clause in passive voice + comma + verb-ing modifiers, these verb-ing modifiers will modify the word immediately before the verb-ing modifiers?

Is my understanding correct. Is there an official example you can think of, where the correct option uses this kind of structure.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 11:23
malavika1 wrote:
Hello Shraddha, I was not aware of this. Does this mean that when we have a clause in passive voice + comma + verb-ing modifiers, these verb-ing modifiers will modify the word immediately before the verb-ing modifiers?

Is my understanding correct. Is there an official example you can think of, where the correct option uses this kind of structure.

Hello malavika1,

Thank you for the query. :-)

See, I am not saying that if a comma + verb-ing modifier is placed after a passive voice clause, it will refer to the noun preceding it.

All I am saying that comma + verb-ing modifier rules do not work on clauses in passive voice structure.

In this particular official sentence, we know from the context of the sentence that the two verb-ing modifiers used in Choice D and E are meant to modify Native Americans. But their placement is such that they do not their function correctly.

I really cannot think of an official correct sentence in which a comma + verb-ing modifier placed after a passive voice clause refers to the preceding noun.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 08:55
Thanks Shraddha. I think in D and E, even if we go with the normal usage of these comma + ing modifiers, then as sarathgopinath mentioned, in D and E, "having intimate knowledge" is modifying "continent". So, D and E are suggesting that the "continent" had intimate knowledge!

Can we take it this way?

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 09:07
malavika1 wrote:
Thanks Shraddha. I think in D and E, even if we go with the normal usage of these comma + ing modifiers, then as sarathgopinath mentioned, in D and E, "having intimate knowledge" is modifying "continent". So, D and E are suggesting that the "continent" had intimate knowledge!

Can we take it this way?

Hello malavika1,

Yes, even if you analyze the usage of the verb-ing modifiers this way, you will be able to reject choices D and E.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 144

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 22:01
egmat wrote:
sevenplusplus wrote:
noboru wrote:

Hello sevenplusplus,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi eGmat,
Please help me to understand the usage of comma + with. I will be grateful if you can provide some inputs.
As per my understanding, If you find comma + -ING or comma + "with" after just the subject of a sentence (i.e., not after an entire clause), then they work differently: in that case, they just modify that noun/subject. Here comma + with acts as an adjective modifier.
Also, COMMA + WITH generally functions as an ADVERB modifying the preceding action.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 144

Re: During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2017, 22:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap