Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64933 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: Editor: Articles in Gardening Magazine often spur sales of the plants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
How option E can be the answer?
Like magazine will stop advertising and then revenue will decrease i got this point. But if there is no advertisement and no people will buy, then why plundering will continue. It's likely that sellers will stop plundering.

Is it like some people will still buy even if there is no advertisement?
Can you please let me know where am I going wrong?

Vatsal7794 yes, it's likely that plundering would decrease if the magazine stops praising the beauty of rare wildflowers, but we have no reason to think that the plundering would halt completely.

Vatsal7794 wrote:
According to me the answer should be D because I thought it's not the plundering that is responsible for the decrease in native plant populations but it's the environment that is responsible.

Our job is to cast the most doubt on the wisdom of the magazine's new policy as a way of pursuing the intended effect.
What's the intended effect? To halt this yearly plundering of our native plant populations.

Vatsal7794 wrote:
What's the meaning of propagate in the argument?

Propagate: breed specimens of (a plant or animal) by natural processes from the parent stock.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Editor: Articles in Gardening Magazine often spur sales of the plants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

How option E can be the answer?
Like magazine will stop advertising and then revenue will decrease i got this point. But if there is no advertisement and no people will buy, then why plundering will continue. It's likely that sellers will stop plundering.

Is it like some people will still buy even if there is no advertisement?
Can you please let me know where am I going wrong?

I totally agree with you regarding choice (E), and I find this question to be one of the few released official CR questions that doesn't work.

In fact, we could even make the case that choice (A) is the correct answer, since choice (A) indicates that, if new gardeners read about wildflowers in the magazine, they''ll likely buy them, have bad experiences with them, and never buy them again.

Quote:
According to me the answer should be D because I thought it's not the plundering that is responsible for the decrease in native plant populations but it's the environment that is responsible.

On the other hand, as Avi Gutman has said, choice (D) doesn't work. After all, the fact that the propagation of plants depends on certain environmental factors doesn't mean that ceasing to discuss wildflowers in the magazine won't help to reduce plundering of those plants.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Regarding E, we don't want to fall into the trap of "what you see is all there is." We know that some people are enticed to buy plants after seeing ads in Gardening Magazine, and that the magazine is taking steps to cut down on certain purchases. However, we have no reason to assume that this magazine is the only way anyone would ever get the idea to buy wildflowers. We have no idea what percent of wildflower sales are driven by ads in this magazine, and we don't need to find out. We simply have to determine whether their plan will actually help them to meet their stated goal. E gives us reason to think that advertising wildflower sales now could actually be part of the solution, although like most strengthen/weaken answers, it is not definitive. It reminds me of the debate about zoos--do they do more harm than good? We don't have to make a final judgment on the issue to determine that one answer provides support for the opposing side.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Editor: Articles in Gardening Magazine often spur sales of the plants they describe, particularly among people new to gardening. Accordingly, we will no longer publish articles or accept advertisements praising the beauty of rare wildflowers. Most such plants sold to gardeners have been difficult to propagate under cultivation, so plant sellers often collect them in the wild. Our new policy is part of our efforts to halt this yearly plundering of our native plant populations.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the wisdom of the magazine's new policy as a way of pursuing the intended effect?

(A) When people new to gardening buy plants, they often fail to take adequate care of the plants that they buy and become discouraged from buying those varieties again.

It could support the wisdom, if people get discouraged and don't buy those varieties again, then the propagation could increase again, at least it don't weaken the conclusion

(B) Plant sellers who sell rare wildflowers have no reasonably inexpensive alternate way to offer their wares directly to new gardeners.

I hesitated with this one at the beginning, but I didn't understand well the conclusion, because everything seemed wrong or out of scope, but this one is wrong too, the conclusion we trying to weaken is that : the magazine will stop the publication of rare flowers because it encouraged people to buy them. But even if (B) Plant sellers who sell rare wildflowers have no reasonably inexpensive alternate way to offer their wares directly to new gardeners, will the new policy reduce for sure the number of halt so the varieties of rare plants could increase ? we don't know, maybe those sellers will continue to pick them, plus we don't really care about the expenses of those sellers. Either way B is at the minimum not a weakener, and at the maximum out of scope

(C) The demand for rare wildflowers rarely exceeds the number of such plants that can be collected in the wild by plant sellers.

Support the conclusion at the minimum, we trying to weaken the conclusion that the new policy will not have the intended meaning (new policy is part of our efforts to halt this yearly plundering of our native plant populations.) = to help new flowers grow. This one at the very least support but it certainly don't weaken.

(D) The propagation of rare wildflowers often depends on the plant's interaction with other organisms in their environment such as plants that create suitable soil conditions or insects and birds that disperse seeds.

Really out of scope, even if it's true, how the new policy could affect that ? maybe if the policy is applied, people will stop pick them up, so the propagation of the wildflowers can happen, but this one is more a description of a process, we don't care about the process

(E) Revenues from sales of plants collected in the wild are supporting the discovery of new low-cost techniques enabling rare wildflowers to be readily propagated in nurseries.

Bingo, if the new policy is applied, then the revenue generated from people who collect them will decline, and this revenue seem to support techniques that enable rare wildflowers to be more propagated in nurseries, so it could hurt the population of those flowers. Definitively a weakener, as we a trying to say that the new policy will hurt those flowers at the end.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Understanding the argument -
Goal - "halt this yearly plundering of our native plant populations." why? To save the rare wildflowers.
Plan - we will no longer publish articles or accept advertisements praising the beauty of rare wildflowers.

Our goal - To cast doubt if the plan will achieve the intended goal.
Potential weakener - if in the plan implementation phase, somehow we do something that this counterproductive which is what option E highlights. There can be multiple ways of weakening it and we need to find the best amongst 5 and not the best option available in the world to solve the issues.

Option Elimination -

(A) When people new to gardening buy plants, they often fail to take adequate care of the plants that they buy and become discouraged from buying those varieties again. - What is the Goal - "halt this yearly plundering of our native plant populations." why? To save the rare wildflowers. Its a pretty aggressive goal. Its like saying 1+2+3 = 6. I'll remove 1 from the left hand side and the right side will become zero. What about 2 and 3 on the left hand side. Now back to our argument, is there anything in the argument that says that magazine is the only way that the new gardeners know about these varieties? No. So we cant assume that.

(B) Plant sellers who sell rare wildflowers have no reasonably inexpensive alternate way to offer their wares directly to new gardeners. - selling pottery (wares) is out of scope.

(C) The demand for rare wildflowers rarely exceeds the number of such plants that can be collected in the wild by plant sellers. - If the demand really exceeds then we can plunder as much as we can? Anyway we are trying to weaken our plan gloal scope (cast doubt on the wisdom of the magazine's new policy). Does this help in that in any way? No. Out of scope.

(D) The propagation of rare wildflowers often depends on the plant's interaction with other organisms in their environment such as plants that create suitable soil conditions or insects and birds that disperse seeds. - It tells why it fails with the new gardeners but does it help in our scope? No. Out of scope.

(E) Revenues from sales of plants collected in the wild are supporting the discovery of new low-cost techniques enabling rare wildflowers to be readily propagated in nurseries. - ok
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: IESE INSEAD IE HEC
Send PM
Was also stuck between C and E, thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts