Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [23]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Elephants observed in Kenya used different trumpeting noises depending [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
katzzzz wrote:
I am not sure why c is correct. some other sounds were intended to expressed emotion right? " expressed emotion.." sounds weird to me..
and the "were" before expressed is omitted here to avoid repetition? Thanks.

Not necessarily. Some other sounds expressed emotion or intimidated predators.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Elephants observed in Kenya used different trumpeting noises depending [#permalink]
Expert Reply
katzzz

I do not think one should accept the OA in non-official questions per se. The forum's point is to debate these OAs to establish their veracity. We have seen many wrong OAs in the forum threads from unofficial sources such as the 1000 series. I am more interested in the OE and to know whether the author deems the ellipsis as the part of the structure.

Can you kindly ask the authors to throw some light? You only know the source.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
katzzzz wrote:
Elephants observed in Kenya used different trumpeting noises depending on the purpose of their call: some sounds were intended as a warning call, while others to express emotion and to intimidate predators.
A. to express emotion and to intimidate
B. intended to express emotion and intimidating
C. expressed emotion or intimidated
D. were to express emotion or intimidate
E. intended the expressing of emotion or intimidating

I am not sure why c is correct. some other sounds were intended to expressed emotion right? " expressed emotion.." sounds weird to me..
and the "were" before expressed is omitted here to avoid repetition? Thanks.

very hard.
using grammar rules, focus on meaning
the meaning of "and " is worse than" or? A and B gone. this focus on meaning is simple but permit us to eliminate two choice. there is no hard grammar rule here. of course, this dose not mean we do not have to learn grammar rules and sentence patterns. we must realize grammarical role before we focus on menaing

in d, were to express is similar to would do. this meaning is not suitable. D gone
in E, if "intended" mean " other intend the expressing" . this is not logic because sound can not intend. typical game gmat play on us
if "Intended" means "other is intended the expressing" . this is also wrong because something is intended to do: is pattern

C is corrent.

this question is about verb form. hard one
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi chetan2u / egmat,

Can you please have a look on this question. IMO-D.
I can't understand how could C be OA. The sentence explicitly mentions that elephents trumpt noise depending on the PURPOSE. So, here is the intention and hence we need To+Verb. (to express emotion, to intimidate).
We need to use base form of verb with "To".

On this basis A and D left.
Option A uses AND so I eliminated it

Can you please assist.
Are you convinced with OA..??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

Can you please have a look on this question.
Waiting for your reply..

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [3]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Elephants observed in Kenya used different trumpeting noises depending on the purpose of their call: some sounds were intended as a warning call, while others to express emotion and to intimidate predators.

A. to express emotion and to intimidate
B. intended to express emotion and intimidating
C. expressed emotion or intimidated
D. were to express emotion or intimidate
E. intended the expressing of emotion or intimidating
Intended is in past tense hence "to express emotion and intimidate" too must be in the same tense. Which of the answer choices has the same tense? Only C. Hope this is a very simple and easy explanation. This is what parallelism is all about - compare apples to apples in the same form not apples to apple juices or apple pies. Hope that is simple enough :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi can you please throw some light on this question. Am unable to justify how C is right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM