Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [6] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
http://www.aringo.com/clientinfo/chance ... n27985.htm

If you want to quantify your chances, the best I've seen from almost anywhere. Hats off to "pdenton92000" for helping me find it! And thank you "GilLevi" and Aringo!

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 23:55
just tried it, i think it was a bit pesimistic for me in Wharton...
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 02:06
This is an interesting tool, but I'm not sure how accurate it is... I tried it on myself and got 59, a bit weak I guess, and I didn't feel it fully reflects all aspects of my candidacy.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 11

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 16:46
This is very similar to the Vocaz application assessment tool for engineers.
Assuming strong essays, and recommendations, this puts me in the ball park that I would expect.

The 50% admission chance for competitive candidates feels high (for most schools thats more than 2x the admission rate).
According to the GMATclub applicant threads and spreadsheets, the average GMATclub applicant meets the median admit GPA/GMAT/age/WE almost everytime, but the GC admit rate is not nearly as high as 50% (at every school anyways)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 21:41
canadianchamp wrote:
This is very similar to the Vocaz application assessment tool for engineers.
Assuming strong essays, and recommendations, this puts me in the ball park that I would expect.

The 50% admission chance for competitive candidates feels high (for most schools thats more than 2x the admission rate).
According to the GMATclub applicant threads and spreadsheets, the average GMATclub applicant meets the median admit GPA/GMAT/age/WE almost everytime, but the GC admit rate is not nearly as high as 50% (at every school anyways)

How can you assume strong essays and recommendations? according to that tool, these are big parts of the score, but you can't know their strength for sure, you can only assume (and might be wrong). So what does it tell you about your chances? not much in my opinion.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 11

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 09:15
brainiac wrote:
How can you assume strong essays and recommendations? according to that tool, these are big parts of the score, but you can't know their strength for sure, you can only assume (and might be wrong). So what does it tell you about your chances? not much in my opinion.

I completely agree with you that the weightings are a bit whacky. To put things in perspective, 30 additional points on the GMAT ~3pts carries more weight than receiving MVP for winning the Superbowl ~2pts or winning a Nobel Prize ~ 1.2. Of course winning a Superbowl MVP AND a Nobel prize are together worth less than strong essays + strong recos by a long shot~6pts , but keep in mind this is a tool designed to sell a consulting service that focuses on essay + reco coaching (ie assign an objective value to a subjective measure).

The point I'm trying to make is that the chances indicator is more ball-park than anything (no different than a "What are my chances?" admission consultant thread) based on your GPA/GMAT/WE. Truth is these are all data points - both subjective and objective - but at the end of the day all that matters is what the Adcoms decision - no other chance indicator really matters.
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 11:28
With my score of a 69 and being invited to an interview with Columbia.. I'd say it's not that far off... this isn't an exact science but it does make some sense.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 12:33
This means you are competitive at Columbia, so it can go either way. Good luck on the interview!
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 10:53
Why is there such a big difference between round 1 and round 2?
I thought they're both equally competitive, no?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 21:33
NO! everybody knows that round 1 is less competitive than the others, since the class is still empty and you can't be rejected due to lack of space.
If you apply in 2nd round, the class is already partially full so you compete for less seats. That's why everyone is trying to make it for round 1.
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 22:58
This is not completely accurate, usually there is not much of a difference between round 1 and round 2. you should submit your application when it is ready and not rush it. good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 00:54
InseadGrad wrote:
This is not completely accurate, usually there is not much of a difference between round 1 and round 2. you should submit your application when it is ready and not rush it. good luck!

Are you sure? it's not what i've heard. Does it apply to all schools? Anyone else knows something about it?
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 09:32
Got admitted to CBS.. so tool was close. Look in regards to RD1 vs RD2.. yes it's best to apply when you have the ability to put forth your best application. There are innate benefits to applying early (especially Tuck/CBS) that come along with a limited applicant pool and no preset demographic or class profile to make. As the seats get taken by admits... the class starts to define itself and therefore the future admits may have a "tougher" time getting in if they are from an overrepresented group of that admit class. If the school wants roughly 25% consultants... and they've gotten a flux of consultant applications in RD1... and admitted 17%... that means in RD2 a consultant applicant will find it tough to get a seat as they're more picky with those they admit under that profile now. Make sense? You don't know the specific split or how many they've accepted in each "bucket"... which is why the sooner is better than later scenario plays out for most. The counter argument is that all the eager and top performers apply in RD1 so RD2 will be less competitive.. if you want to take that chance... go ahead and roll the dice, but I would feel better about applying early.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 01:11
Congrats on the CBS admission! Thanks for sharing and for the important info. Columbia is probably a known example of a school where there is a difference between the application rounds, since applicants who apply in early decision have an advantage.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 2

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
The best thing was subtract points if you are an Indian. Hillarious but correct.

GMAT 720(94%) (Q 49(87%) V 39(87%))

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 00:27
Absolutely :)
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 02:35
Did you see they made it automatic? now there is a calculator that adds your points and carry them with you to the end!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 04:11
Yes, I tried it, very nice! now it is entitled to be called awesome :) I just hope it's accurate for my sake.
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 04:22
This is nice, and fun... although i'm not sure i did it right, i wasn't sure how many points should i give myself in some sections.
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 23:20
Yes, I wasn't sure about some of my points too. Which sections did you have trouble with? did you go up or under?
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2011, 23:20