Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 60

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 00:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (01:37) correct 40% (00:46) wrong based on 86 sessions
321. From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of [u]baggage so light/u] that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light
(B) baggage being so light
(C) baggage, yet being so light
(D) baggage, and so light
(E) baggage yet was so light

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 60

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree... [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 00:46
I think we need a kind of condradiction there (so powerful boat yet so light to be carried by a man).

So we have (C) and (E) left. (C) is out because 'being' is wrong here.
(E) stays in the same verb tense as for 1st part of sentence ('..the Menomini crafted...')

So we have only (E) to choose.

Your suggestions?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 48

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree... [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 01:11
wow chose E
its correct here the last sentence refers to the tree not the baggage
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 32

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree... [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 11:48
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light

Can some one has more rigorous explanation of the SC.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree... [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 14:03
DenisSh wrote:
321. From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of [u]baggage so light/u] that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Initially I also went for A but after reading further came to the following few notes:

- This sentence is not complete with a coordinating conjunction i.e. "yet". Yet is also required to make sentence logical: "A canoe could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet the canoe was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids".
Eliminate A,B and D.

- Avoid using "being" in gmat to the possible extent. Eliminate B. Remains E.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree... [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 23:38
+1 E,

Logic as given by Fistail. yet is needed to show the intended contrast in meaning in the given sentence. And "being" should be avoided in GMAT if possible.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree... [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 23:44
To indicate contrast, yet is required. being is not appropriate because we need to maintain parallelism- could carry (past form) is || to was
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 21

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree... [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 23:58
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of [u]baggage so light/u] that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids

Here Canoe (small boat) is referred by which in the sentence, you can portage it .. here again it is referring the Canoe not to baggage.. So yet was so light is correct answer .. E
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree... [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 11:15
Let me break the sentence and then I will ask the qusn -

From the bark of the paper birch tree - (modifies Menomini)
Clause 1 -
the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage
Clause 2 -
yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

My Qusn - Shouldnt the subject of clause 1 be subject of clause 2?

In this case - "Menomini"

Please let me know if I am wrong theoretically. I know rhetorically Canoe sounds correct.

Thanks
Sumeet

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree... [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 12:03
vatsas wrote:
Let me break the sentence and then I will ask the qusn -

From the bark of the paper birch tree - (modifies Menomini)
Clause 1 -
the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage
Clause 2 -
yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

My Qusn - Shouldnt the subject of clause 1 be subject of clause 2?

In this case - "Menomini"

Please let me know if I am wrong theoretically. I know rhetorically Canoe sounds correct.

Thanks
Sumeet

In this case, the clause 2 you mentioned is also a description of the canoe Menomini built. So the statement is constructed this way-

Menomini built a canoe.

What kind of canoe? - one that was about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

Hope it helped!

Happy Learning ! :D

Show Thanks to fellow members with Kudos its shows your appreciation and its free

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree...   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2011, 12:03