GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 00:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2008, 21:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:30) correct 47% (01:31) wrong based on 1417 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 114
Page: 670

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light
(B) baggage being so light
(C) baggage, yet being so light
(D) baggage, and so light
(E) baggage yet was so light
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 19:27
Let's take a look at some of the other issues in this question:

"being" --> This word is almost always wrong. There's really no reason to ever use it unless you're referring to an "alien being" or a "human being." The reason is that it simply does not add any value to the sentence. The following two sentences mean the same thing:

"Because I was being so cold, I put on a jacket."
"Because I was cold, I put on a jacket."

This is a simple example, but notice how the question above plays with this exact same concept.

"yet" --> When we use the conjunction "yet" or "but" we're indicating a contrast:

"I love cheese, but I hate cream cheese." --> There's a contrast here, so I'd use "but" or "yet."
"I love pizza, and I love lasagna." --> No contrast here, so we use "and."

Notice how the answer choices here play with your ability to decide whether you need to use "yet" or "and."

Just wanted to take this question a bit further. It's always good to dissect an OG problem in as many ways as you possibly can.

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2008, 09:37
for a canoe four hundred pounds and eighty pound is not light rather it is heavy so the intention of the sentence is contrast.
therefore we use -YET
though - so ....adj /adv...that - is correct idom it does not go with the sentence

and also the sentence described about the past for this -was- is perfect
thatswhy ans is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2009, 23:39
Think this Q tests on modifiers

its clearly between C & E

baggage, yet being so light here baggage is modified it means baggage is so light

E uses it properly
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2009, 21:00
Ayrish wrote:
Please can anyone help? I chose C.
Cedar, which could carry baggage yet being so light that a person could portage it.

320. From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.
(A) baggage so light

E is a right one.

Please Don't post the OA right away.

Examine the Main sub and verb.

Menomini crafted a canoe <about...blah blah blah>, which could carry... yet was so light

Canoe could carry .. Yet <canoe> was so light.

So light should modify "Canoe" not "baggage"
VP
GPA: 3.77

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2010, 11:42
.... Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide [,with small ribs and rails of cedar, {which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage}] yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

here first bolded area tells about how big was a canoe, the second part contrasts that with such huge dimensions it was yet was so light

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2010, 01:18
Reduce the sentence to
'The Menomini crafted a canoe which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage..'

A & B refer to the weight of the baggage and not that of the canoe.
We can easily eliminate A & B.

Of the remaining, E is the best formed answer.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2011, 15:03
DenisSh wrote:
321. From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of [u]baggage so light/u] that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light

OA

Initially I also went for A but after reading further came to the following few notes:

- This sentence is not complete with a coordinating conjunction i.e. "yet". Yet is also required to make sentence logical: "A canoe could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet the canoe was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids".
Eliminate A,B and D.

- Avoid using "being" in gmat to the possible extent. Eliminate B. Remains E.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 00:58
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of [u]baggage so light/u] that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids

Here Canoe (small boat) is referred by which in the sentence, you can portage it .. here again it is referring the Canoe not to baggage.. So yet was so light is correct answer .. E
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2011, 12:15
Let me break the sentence and then I will ask the qusn -

From the bark of the paper birch tree - (modifies Menomini)
Clause 1 -
the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage
Clause 2 -
yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

My Qusn - Shouldnt the subject of clause 1 be subject of clause 2?

In this case - "Menomini"

Please let me know if I am wrong theoretically. I know rhetorically Canoe sounds correct.

Thanks
Sumeet
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 07:03
vanidhar wrote:
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet
wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage
so light
that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.
(A) baggage so light

The original sentence intends to contrast two qualities of the canoe but fails to do so using 'so' .Hence (A) is wrong.

(B) and (C) - unnecessarily wordy - 'being' is not required in both cases.
(D) 'and' does not show the intended contrast. Also, ', + and' should introduce an independent clause.

Left with (E), which is the correct answer.
Retired Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 17:24
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 10:32
BKimball wrote:

"being" --> This word is almost always wrong. There's really no reason to ever use it unless you're referring to an "alien being" or a "human being." The reason is that it simply does not add any value to the sentence. The following two sentences mean the same thing:

This is a simple example, but notice how the question above plays with this exact same concept.

"yet" --> When we use the conjunction "yet" or "but" we're indicating a contrast:

"I love cheese, but I hate cream cheese." --> There's a contrast here, so I'd use "but" or "yet."

Notice how the answer choices here play with your ability to decide whether you need to use "yet" or "and."

Just wanted to take this question a bit further. It's always good to dissect an OG problem in as many ways as you possibly can.

Shouldn't yet' mentioned in option E be preceded with a comma? Without that, the construction doesn't make sense, in my opinion. Kindly explain.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 07:20
BKimball wrote:

Hello Brett,

May you give us some comments about the too far placement of "which", why is such too far placement permitted?

Regards,

Manuel
Intern
Intern
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 02:51
prasannar wrote:

Practice Question

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light

Structure (,) + conjuction only connect clause > Eliminate C,D.
A. Eliminate because we couldn't connect to main clause.
B. being > Kill
E. use "was" to make up a verb clause, connect 2 Verb by conjunction
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 11:22
prasannar wrote:

(A) baggage so light

Tough one IMO. As I am finding in many 700 level questions, and as the GOAT GMATNinja says, the best way to eliminate answer choices is based on MEANING.

siyer did a great job of reducing the sentence. Let's do that real quick.

"The Menomini crafted a canoe, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage..."

Right off the bat, I'm noticing a construction of "could carry X or Y" Our answer choices are all after "Y" (baggage), so we need to figure out what the purpose is for everything after Y.

The quick answer? Everything after Y needs to be modifying "canoe", but some answer choices modify "baggage."

prasannar wrote:
(A) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

I fell for this answer. I misinterpreted the meaning.

"The Menomini crafted a canoe, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around violent rapids."

I thought that everything after "baggage" was just modifying "baggage." But what would that mean? The baggage was so light that a person could easily portage it around violent rapid?

Wait a minute, that doesn't make any sense. The person wouldn't be portaging the baggage around rapids. They would be portaging the canoe around rapids. Therefore we need everything after baggage to be modifying canoe, not "baggage."

Eliminate based on MEANING.

prasannar wrote:
(B) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage being so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

BKimball did a great job explaining the problem with "being." Further, this answer choice makes the same mistake as (A). Everything after "baggage" would be modifying "baggage" instead of "canoe."

Eliminate based on MEANING and grammar.

prasannar wrote:
(C) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage, yet being so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

Same issue as (B), "being" is wrong here. But since we have a comma after "baggage", I think we are actually OK from a meaning perspective, everything after "baggage" is referring to "canoe", which is good. Nonetheless, "being" is not needed.

Eliminate based on grammar.

prasannar wrote:
(D) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage, and so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

Yuck. Let's look at our reduced sentence for this answer choice.

"The Menomini crafted a canoe, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage, and so light that a person could easily portage it around violent rapids."

The "comma + and" is wrong here. If we're going to have a comma + and, I think we need an independent clause. But we don't have a verb after the comma + and.

Eliminate based on grammar.

prasannar wrote:
(E) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

I was unable to eliminate this one, but like I mentioned earlier, I sheepishly still chose (A). But when we dive into the meaning, this one is the most clear and concise.

The "yet" introduces a contrast.

"The Menomini crafted a canoe, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around violent rapids.

*Thinking out loud:* So the Menomi crafted a canoe, it could carry X or Y, yet (the canoe) was so light that a person could portage it around violent rapids.

This makes sense from a meaning perspective. I kind of wish we had a comma before "yet." Maybe a grammar expert can explain why we don't need a comma?

Regardless, there's nothing clearly wrong with this sentence, and it's the only other answer choice aside from (C) and (D) that conveys the correct meaning by having the modifier after "baggage" refer to "canoe."

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2019, 10:22
himanshumalhotra1990 wrote:
BKimball wrote:

Shouldn't yet' mentioned in option E be preceded with a comma? Without that, the construction doesn't make sense, in my opinion. Kindly explain.

could anyone answer this question that I bold it in red color ???? I do not know why "yet" did not get comma in preceding ?!?! although conjunction need comma !
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2019, 17:25
09173140521 A comma simply isn't needed. If the yet were followed by a clause (a new subject and verb), we'd want a comma. With just a verb, there's no need for a comma. All of the following are correct:

I planned to go but decided not to.
I planned to go, but I decided not to.
I got a great score yet was not admitted to the program.
I got a great score, yet I was not admitted to the program.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2019, 20:40
prasannar wrote:

Practice Question

(A) baggage so light

Nice problem, I could answer this correctly after going through Manhattan prep. We can any of FANBOYS similarly. Here they wanted to use YET as we use AND to form compound verb.

A. Construction is correct but logic wise it is not correct. Because SO LIGHT THAT conveys purpose. But we don't have any pose in the sentence.

B.Being should not be used ad ING-modifier. So incorrect

C. Construction is wrong. Being is also not properly used: No subject for being.

D. Subject is missing for SO LIGHT.

E.Correct in all ways. Here they used Sub + verb1 + yet + verb2 construction.
In place of YET, we can use any of FANBOYS based on the situation.

Posted from my mobile device
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2019, 20:40

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics