Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619228 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Send PM
Re: George scored 85 on an exam. Did George do better than 90 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
josemnz83 wrote:
George scored 85% on an exam. Did George do better than 90% of his classmates on the test?
1) The mean score on the test was 80%.
2) The stardard deviation is 2.

I understand that George's score is 2.5 deviations above the mean. How does that give me any information as to how his classmates did?

On the explanation, it notes that George did better than 95% of his classmates. Please explain.

Its more of a stats question that DS.

From question we know that George scored 85%.

i. mean score 80%.. we know george scored better than average but thats all. Not sufficient
ii. standard deviation is 2.. nothing can be inferred from this.. Not sufficient.

However, if you combine these two information, (and little knowledge of basic statistics)
you know that 1 standard deviation from mean covers roughly 68% and 2 standard deviation covers roughly 95%.

George's score is more than 2 standard deviation higher than mean.. and therefore,it implies that it is more than 95% of students. Sufficient.

Ans C it is.

68.2-95.4-99.7 rule of normal distributions is not tested on GMAT.

Next, even if it were tested, the question still would be flawed as the normal distribution is an absolutely continuous probability distribution and I don't think that we can apply its three-sigma rule (68.2-95.4-99.7 rule), as intended, to solve this question which is not continuous distribution.

So I wouldn't worry at all about this question.

Hope it helps.

Well, I wouldnt say that we cant apply normal distribution rule as usually for any large distribution rules of normal distribution are applied (decision making in every day business and consulting problems/sample-estimation etc)

With the given question- you could definitely apply the knowledge. Though I agree, its not a DS question for GMAT.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619228 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vips0000 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Its more of a stats question that DS.

From question we know that George scored 85%.

i. mean score 80%.. we know george scored better than average but thats all. Not sufficient
ii. standard deviation is 2.. nothing can be inferred from this.. Not sufficient.

However, if you combine these two information, (and little knowledge of basic statistics)
you know that 1 standard deviation from mean covers roughly 68% and 2 standard deviation covers roughly 95%.

George's score is more than 2 standard deviation higher than mean.. and therefore,it implies that it is more than 95% of students. Sufficient.

Ans C it is.

Next, even if it were tested, the question still would be flawed as the normal distribution is an absolutely continuous probability distribution and I don't think that we can apply its three-sigma rule (68.2-95.4-99.7 rule), as intended, to solve this question which is not continuous distribution.

Hope it helps.

Well, I wouldnt say that we cant apply normal distribution rule as usually for any large distribution rules of normal distribution are applied (decision making in every day business and consulting problems/sample-estimation etc)

With the given question- you could definitely apply the knowledge. Though I agree, its not a DS question for GMAT.

Well, for one we don't know how large distribution we have (we cannot assume). Also, we are not told that the we in fact have a normal distribution.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Well, for one we don't know how large distribution we have (we cannot assume). Also, we are not told that the we in fact have a normal distribution.

You are the boss dude.. Usually a class is large enough to apply normal distribution rules.. But again you right in stating thats an assumption... you could as well have a class with 10 people.
I would say, we can create a confidence interval and then probably claim with 95% confidence level that C is the answer.. :twisted:
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vips0000 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:

You are the boss dude.. Usually a class is large enough to apply normal distribution rules.. But again you right in stating thats an assumption... you could as well have a class with 10 people.
I would say, we can create a confidence interval and then probably claim with 95% confidence level that C is the answer.. :twisted:

It's a poor quality question. Topic locked.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
George scored 85% on an exam. [#permalink]
George scored 85% on an exam. Did George do better than 90% of his classmates on the test?
1) The median score on the test was 80%.
Math Expert
Send PM
Re: George scored 85% on an exam. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
espa wrote:
1) The median score on the test was 80%.

Merging topics. Please refer to the solutions above.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: George scored 85% on an exam. [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts