Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.8
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT tests [#permalink]
Mechmeera wrote:
chaitanya87 wrote:
Hi meera,

First of all writing more GMAT tests will not help an increase in your score. How much did you get in the mgmat tests?

What are your key weak areas?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Even i understand that writing more tests will not ensure the success.
Therefore im confused what to choose?
Which tests will enhance my preparation plan?
Which one's I should prefer so that I dont regret later?

What are your weak areas? Verbal or quant?
Also what score you're aiming?
Based on that I can suggest which tests are better.

Retired Moderator
Send PM
chaitanya87 wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:
chaitanya87 wrote:
Hi meera,

First of all writing more GMAT tests will not help an increase in your score. How much did you get in the mgmat tests?

What are your key weak areas?

Even i understand that writing more tests will not ensure the success.
Therefore im confused what to choose?
Which tests will enhance my preparation plan?
Which one's I should prefer so that I dont regret later?

What are your weak areas? Verbal or quant?
Also what score you're aiming?
Based on that I can suggest which tests are better.

My weakness is verbal. Sorry did not mention split up in those scores.
I aim to cross 700+ score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Then you need to improve your verbal scores prior attempting any CAT exam.
Which books have you referred so far now? If you're a non-native speaker like me, I can suggest you some best courses for improving the Verbal.

Regarding the exams, MGMAT provides correct correlation, even though its quant is a bit tougher than the original GMAT's.
I prefer 800 score report tests to kaplan tests. I have no idea on the tests provided by TIME.

Also try to take one of the tests provided by gmat club. You can get a one day free trial if you like their facebook page.
The explanations provided by GMAT CLUB are much better than the 800 score tests'.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
chaitanya87 wrote:
Then you need to improve your verbal scores prior attempting any CAT exam.
Which books have you referred so far now? If you're a non-native speaker like me, I can suggest you some best courses for improving the Verbal.

Regarding the exams, MGMAT provides correct correlation, even though its quant is a bit tougher than the original GMAT's.
I prefer 800 score report tests to kaplan tests. I have no idea on the tests provided by TIME.

Also try to take one of the tests provided by gmat club. You can get a one day free trial if you like their Facebook page.
The explanations provided by GMAT CLUB are much better than the 800 score tests'.

I forgot to mention that I have gmatclub tests as well since i redeemed them with 25 kudos and these tests will last until 2 nov.
I haven't attempted any one of them until now.
You can refer to 590-640-trying-hard-to-cross-202799.html in-order to understand my scenario.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Cool .Then do a trial course of e-gmat. It really helped me in improving my verbal score (particularly SC).
Retired Moderator
Send PM
chaitanya87 wrote:
Cool .Then do a trial course of e-gmat. It really helped me in improving my verbal score (particularly SC).

I have completed E-gmat verbal course already.
please check your Inbox.
I have sent one message.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree that tests aren't the way to improve your score. They are okay for practicing overall timing and stress management, but in between tests you should be focusing on learning new content and reviewing your work thoroughly. Generally, I recommend that you don't test more often than once every 2-3 weeks until the last few weeks before your exam, when 1/week makes sense.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
mechmeera,

I would focus on the official GMATPrep tests, the two free ones and the two paid ones(Exam Pack 1). The tests you mentioned would be a complete waste of your time in my opinion. Of course, just taking the tests alone would not be enough, and you will need to identify your weaknesses and address them. Stick to official GMAT questions and see what type of mistakes you are making and what is the underlying concept that you are not grasping. Keep doing this and space the tests to check your overall improvement.

You can also use the GMATPrep question pack 1 problem sets to identify the areas of weakness. I am assuming that you have already used the official GMAT guides for practice.

Cheers,
Dabral
Retired Moderator
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
I agree that tests aren't the way to improve your score. They are okay for practicing overall timing and stress management, but in between tests you should be focusing on learning new content and reviewing your work thoroughly. Generally, I recommend that you don't test more often than once every 2-3 weeks until the last few weeks before your exam, when 1/week makes sense.

I know I can opt for only few of them.
So I just want to seek your opinion to select some of them so that these tests will result in better preparation before actual GMAT.
In terms of quality, which ones have a better collection of questions esp verbal.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Mechmeera wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:

I know I can opt for only few of them.
So I just want to seek your opinion to select some of them so that these tests will result in better preparation before actual GMAT.
In terms of quality, which ones have a better collection of questions esp verbal.

Without your sectional scores, your total provides no useful information.

For quant: use OGs, GMATPREP Question pack 1, Collection of GMATPREP questions on GMATCLUB, GMATCLUB Tests and Magoosh.

For verbal: use OGs, GMATPREP Question pack 1, Collection of GMATPREP questions on GMATCLUB, eGMAT scholaranium and Magoosh. Make sure to solve as many official questions as you can solve for verbal.

All practice needs to be timed.

I didnt see you mention OGs. Have you completed OG 2013/2015 and/or OG 2016? Also, what about the quant and verbal review OGs? I understand that you are targeting 700+ but you have not taken any GMATPREP CATs. None of the tests that you have taken will be able to tell you exactly where do you stand in verbal vs quant and even for the sectional divisions. I will suggest that you take a GMATPREP free CAT and see what sections (including the subsections) are you faltering on. Once you do this analysis post GMATPREP CAT, finish OGs (if you have not done it already!). If you have finished OG, try the questions again (try to achieve 70-80% accuracy under timed conditions). While solving questions from OGs, make sure that you are using proper reasons for eliminating the wrong answers and for choosing the correct answer. Thus, analyse both correct and incorrect answers.

After all this, go onto GMATPREP question pack 1 followed by GMATPREP CAT2 and GMATPREP 3 and 4 (from exam pack 1). Also, as GMATPREP question pack can used as a 'sectional mock' by following what dabral has mentioned in his post https://www.gmatquantum.com/faq/gmatprep ... -of-t.html

I followed his method and was able to solve 4 sectional mocks each for verbal and quant under timed conditions out of the 404 questions available.

In the meantime, now that you are already done with eGMAT course, look into getting the susbcription to egmat scholaranium. It has a good database of questions and you can even do targeted practice of sub sections that you are finding difficult.

Finally, people have shown big improvements once they have figured out what areas they need to focus on, I myself jumped from 650 to 750 . So if you are around 650 mark, there is no reason why you can not break the 700 barrier.

Hope this helps.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hello sir,

I Thank you for your suggestions and information.
Did u refer to 590-640-trying-hard-to-cross-202799.html in-order to understand my scenario.
If not, please do so now.

For quant: use OGs, GMATPREP Question pack 1, Collection of GMATPREP questions on GMATCLUB, GMATCLUB Tests and Magoosh.
For verbal: use OGs, GMATPREP Question pack 1, Collection of GMATPREP questions on GMATCLUB, eGMAT scholaranium and Magoosh. Make sure to solve as many official questions as you can solve for verbal.
(Sure I ll follow this)

All practice needs to be timed. yep they are timed and complete including AWA and IR.

I didnt see you mention OGs. Have you completed OG 2013(Yes)and/or OG 2016?
Also, what about the quant(I do no have it) and verbal review OGs(SC and CR done RC not done)?

I understand that you are targeting 700+ but you have not taken any GMATPREP CATs.YES I have taken GMAT PREP EXAM but results were varying and not consistent as below.

Practice Test Results
IR score Math score Verbal score Total score
GMATPrep Test #1
1st attempt 0 49 27 640
2nd attempt 3 49 20 580

In the meantime, now that you are already done with eGMAT course, look into getting the susbcription to egmat scholaranium. It has a good database of questions and you can even do targeted practice of sub sections that you are finding difficult.(No the course has expired.)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Mechmeera wrote:
Hello sir,

I Thank you for your suggestions and information.
Did u refer to 590-640-trying-hard-to-cross-202799.html in-order to understand my scenario.
If not, please do so now.

(Sure I ll follow this)

All practice needs to be timed. yep they are timed and complete including AWA and IR.

I didnt see you mention OGs. Have you completed OG 2013(Yes)and/or OG 2016?
Also, what about the quant(I do no have it) and verbal review OGs(SC and CR done RC not done)?

I understand that you are targeting 700+ but you have not taken any GMATPREP CATs.YES I have taken GMAT PREP EXAM but results were varying and not consistent as below.

Practice Test Results
IR score Math score Verbal score Total score
GMATPrep Test #1
1st attempt 0 49 27 640
2nd attempt 3 49 20 580

In the meantime, now that you are already done with eGMAT course, look into getting the susbcription to egmat scholaranium. It has a good database of questions and you can even do targeted practice of sub sections that you are finding difficult.(No the course has expired.)

Ok this information does help. So based on your scores, quant is very well defined as you were able to score Q49 even when you had to rush through the last 17 questions. So, if you can practice more difficult questions (GMATCLUB tests and Bunuel's signature collections are good source of these questions) under timed condition , you should be able to score atleast Q49 again. Additionally, you need to make sure that you let go of some questions in the middle to get back on track time wise. A good article to read is https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/ ... nt-part-1/

Also, solve your GMATPREP CATs again (you can not use the software for this but you can time yourself while "reviewing all" question in GMATPREP) but without time just to see how much do you need and what accuracy do you get. If you can finish the CATs with close to 70-80% accuracy, then it means your fundamentals are set , you only need to work on your time management. But if you still end up with roughly the same percentage of incorrect questions, then your concepts in verbal need to be looked at again. Verbal is all about developing a strategy for various question types (SC vs CR vs RC) and even for sub section within these question types. Once you develop the strategy, make sure not to deviate from such even when pushed for time. This can only happen after you solve a good number of official questions under timed conditions.

As for eGMAT scholaranium, contact eGMAT (members/member-216316.html) by sending them a PM and explaining that you only need access to scholaranium. But as per the article written on how to effectively use scholaranium, you also need access to VLP or verbal prep to complement the questions with the corresponding videos. Ask Rajat or Payal to provide you more information on how you can get access to scholaranium and reactivate access to VLP (if you are interested).

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot