Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,PE,VC
Schools:Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
 Q42  V10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: GmatClubbers, Iam looking for RC buddies. The goal here is [#permalink]
Would love to Join
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
This sounds promising... Count me in!
Director
Director
Send PM
Awesome! I will post the rules t'row.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3941 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
i would like to join
Director
Director
Send PM
Ok...here is the info:

A. Everyday I will post one RC with a title "RC Buddy Challenge". Let us focus on the quality rather than on quantity
B. When you post your answers follow the following guidelines:
1. Post the notes you took down while reading the passage
Purpose: When you take notes it will keep you engaged and helps ypu understand the passage well.
2. Post the time you took to read the passage and make notes. Try to keep it less than 4 minutes/passage.
3. For each answer choice provide 2-3 lines from the passage that defend/support your anser choice.
In other words ,copy paste those lines from the passage and paste them below your answer choice.
Purpose: It will help you understand structure of the passage. Also when done regularly you'll dvelop a pattern to spot answers quickly.
4. If possible post time taken to answer every question.
Purpose: Improve speed and accuracy.

I have posted the first RC. Lets take the challenge.
-Goalsnr
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
I would love to join..... we can always start question thread , but i think first each one of us must post all available stratagy with us over here.

I have got in touch with a few guys who rocked RC, the conlusion was that each one had his or her unique approach to resolve RC, there were a few fix set of rules each followed , but rest of the 50% stratagy was unique for each one of them

so, lets post as many stratagies as possible

this is just my view.. open for debate
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: International Business, General
Schools:INSEAD, LBS, RSM
Send PM
Count me in!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have the same problem with the speed. How can I make improvement?
I hear some say try skipping some minor contents. But I just can't do it. If I skip, I feel that I can't understand the article.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Great!! but where is the first post??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Ok Lets begin from where our Buddy left, sorry if you were trying to built a better one. Lets not discourage the ones who signed up.

This might be a passage that you had already worked, but still let's see how it goes

Whilst when should the OA's be posted??

In the decades following World War II, American business had undisputed control of the world economy, producing goods of such high quality and low cost that foreign corporations were unable to compete. But in the mid-1960s the United States began to lose its advantage and by the 1980s American corporations lagged behind the competition in many industries. In the computer chip industry, for example, American corporations had lost most of both domestic and foreign markets by the early 1980s.
The first analysts to examine the decline of American business blamed the U.S. government. They argued that stringent governmental restrictions on the behaviour of American corporations, combined with the wholehearted support given to foreign firms by their governments, created and environment in which American products could not compete. Later analysts blamed predatory corporate raiders who bought corporations, not to make them more competitive in the face of foreign competition, but rather to sell off the most lucrative divisions for huge profits.
Still later analysts blamed the American workforce, citing labour demands and poor productivity as the reasons American corporations have been unable to compete with Japanese and European firms. Finally, a few analysts even censured American consumers for their unpatriotic purchases of foreign goods. The blame actually lies with corporate management, which has made serious errors based on misconceptions about what it takes to be successful in the marketplace. These missteps involve labour costs, production choices, and growth strategies.
Even though labour costs typically account for less than 15% of a product‘s total cost, management has been quick to blame the costs of workers‘ wages for driving up prices, making American goods uncompetitive. As a result of attempts to minimize the cost of wages, American corporations have had trouble recruiting and retaining skilled workers.
The emphasis on cost minimization has also led to another blunder: an over-concentration on high technology products. Many foreign firms began by specializing in the mass production and sale of low technology products, gaining valuable experience and earning tremendous profits. Later, these corporations were able to break into high technology markets without much trouble; they simply applied their previous manufacturing experience and ample financial resources to the production of higher quality goods. American business has consistently ignored this very sensible approach.
The recent rash of corporate mergers and acquisitions in the U.S. has not helped the situation either. While American firms have neglected long-range planning and production, preferring instead to reap fast profits through mergers and acquisitions, foreign firms have been quick to exploit opportunities to ensure their domination over future markets by investing in the streamlining and modernization of their facilities.

1. The passage suggests that compared to Japanese workers, American workers are often considered:
A. more content and more efficient.
B. more content but less efficient.
C. less content and less efficient.
D. less content but more efficient.
E. lazy and less hard working

2. With which of the following general statements would the author most likely NOT agree?
A. American business has been hurt by the inability to plan for the long-term.
B. Cutting production costs always leads to increased competitiveness.
C. American consumers are not the prime cause of the decline of American business.
D. Initial analysis of the decline of American business yielded only partially accurate conclusions.
E. Mergers and Acquisitions have not helped improve the situation

3. Which of the following would most weaken the author‘s argument about the over-concentration on high technology products?
A. Producing low tech products is not as profitable as producing high tech products.
B. Manufacturing high tech products is a completely different process than manufacturing low tech goods.
C. Most of the low tech products purchased by Americans are made by foreign firms.
D. Most of the high tech products purchased by Americans are made by foreign firms.
E. Most of the high tech products purchased by Americans are made by American firms.

4. The author of this passage would probably give his greatest support to which of the following actions by the corporate management of an American company?
A. Acquiring a smaller company in order to gain financial resources
B. Considering the option of paying the most highly skilled workers a higher wage
C. Trying to learn from the general management strategy of foreign firms
D. Paying for television advertisements that will win back American consumers
E. Flooding foreign markets with cheap goods
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gwendolinecn wrote:
I have the same problem with the speed. How can I make improvement?
I hear some say try skipping some minor contents. But I just can't do it. If I skip, I feel that I can't understand the article.

I have the same problem. Perhaps I am not good at comprehending.

The problem is I couldn't distinguish minor and major contents when the clock ticks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
I am not posting the notes because it is really bad . From next time onwards , I would put the notes as well.

Total time : 9:42

1 . E...."Still later analysts blamed the American workforce, citing labour demands and poor productivity as the reasons American corporations have been unable to compete with Japanese and European firms."...Its a matter of productivity..it requires hard-work and hence E.

2. B.....2nd para...last line..."These missteps involve labour costs, production choices, and growth strategies"...cites the actual cost

3.B....4th para...3rd line...." they simply applied their previous manufacturing experience and ample financial resources to the production of higher quality goods"...It assumes that it takes the same thing to produce high and low technology products.

4.B...again B...considered same line as in option 2...

and Yes...I am in as well...:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
hi, i am a newbie here, so kindly correct me if i am wrong.....these are my answers....
1C coz the passage mentions labour demand which i took to mean they are not content and poor productivity to mean inefficient.Still later analysts blamed the American workforce, citing labour demands and poor productivity as the reasons American corporations i eliminated (D) coz i felt lazy and less hard working wud mean the same :oops:

2B coz none of the other choices were sounding reasonable and the passage illustrates that even when the companies cut labour costs(which comes under production costs) they were still in troubleAs a result of attempts to minimize the cost of wages, American corporations have had trouble recruiting and retaining skilled workers.

3B my answer is same as wat raths said above

4C coz the passage praises the foreign firms and says American firms did not follow a similar approachAmerican business has consistently ignored this very sensible approach....
or
While American firms have neglected long-range planning and production, preferring instead to reap fast profits through mergers and acquisitions, foreign firms have been...

i took close to 8 mins give or take a few seconds...

Manager
Manager
Send PM
OA's

C B B C
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vinzycoolfire wrote:
hi, i am a newbie here, so kindly correct me if i am wrong.....these are my answers....
1C coz the passage mentions labour demand which i took to mean they are not content and poor productivity to mean inefficient.Still later analysts blamed the American workforce, citing labour demands and poor productivity as the reasons American corporations i eliminated (D) coz i felt lazy and less hard working wud mean the same :oops:

2B coz none of the other choices were sounding reasonable and the passage illustrates that even when the companies cut labour costs(which comes under production costs) they were still in troubleAs a result of attempts to minimize the cost of wages, American corporations have had trouble recruiting and retaining skilled workers.

3B my answer is same as wat raths said above

4C coz the passage praises the foreign firms and says American firms did not follow a similar approachAmerican business has consistently ignored this very sensible approach....
or
While American firms have neglected long-range planning and production, preferring instead to reap fast profits through mergers and acquisitions, foreign firms have been...

i took close to 8 mins give or take a few seconds...

U are not wrong, should I still correct you :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
:lol:....sure y not!!
please post some more good passages...

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts