Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Got 690 today, very bad on verbal. Need to retake [#permalink]
So after reading the sources mentioned above and looking on courses reviews I am in a diemma, I would really like to hear what other people in my condition did.
I saw that Magoosh and GMATpill both has a score guarantee of 50+ points. Magoosh price is definetaly more competitive, but GMAT pill ratings are higher (98% vs 94% and with more reviewers).
I wonder how do non-natives find these courses? Can anyone recommend?

Alternatively, I have OG13 and Manhattan GMAT 5th ED SC books. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and I wrote on the OG and the quantitative and verbal reviews.So I thought of buying the the 2015 OG and to get myself books on RC and CR, maybe on IR as well (on IR I got 7/8 yesterday) and just go over the all the books (start with SC until I get the other books) and then I will commit myself to solving 20 questions of each subject a day plus one mock test a week and after finishing all the material, a mock test each day until the exam day. And I will sign up for an exam in one month and a half from now.

Wow does these plan sound? which of them would you recommend?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
fabiansc wrote:
So after reading the sources mentioned above and looking on courses reviews I am in a diemma, I would really like to hear what other people in my condition did.
I saw that Magoosh and GMATpill both has a score guarantee of 50+ points. Magoosh price is definetaly more competitive, but GMAT pill ratings are higher (98% vs 94% and with more reviewers).
I wonder how do non-natives find these courses? Can anyone recommend?

Alternatively, I have OG13 and Manhattan GMAT 5th ED SC books. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and I wrote on the OG and the quantitative and verbal reviews.So I thought of buying the the 2015 OG and to get myself books on RC and CR, maybe on IR as well (on IR I got 7/8 yesterday) and just go over the all the books (start with SC until I get the other books) and then I will commit myself to solving 20 questions of each subject a day plus one mock test a week and after finishing all the material, a mock test each day until the exam day. And I will sign up for an exam in one month and a half from now.

How does these plan sound? which of them would you recommend?

Hi. I don't think that's a meaningful difference. I would read their policies pretty carefully though to make sure there is no other "limitation" or "issue"
Keep in mind that OG 2015 is identical to OG 13 (it won't have any writings in the book but it will have identical questions).

The way I see GMAT Pill - it is intensive prep that you can cover in a few weeks or a month max. Magoosh is more of a longer course (not as intensive). I have seen people score well with both. They are obviously only a fraction of the price you would get with Veritas, MGMAT, or The Economist, so there is a bit of "you get what you pay for"

Best Regards,
BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.34
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Hello bb,

I scored a 710 last week. Q 49 and V 38.
A little panicked about the quant percentile. It is 79. Will that be a red flag? As I have read sectional scores are expected to be 80+ for top schools.

Awaiting your thoughts .

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
smit29may wrote:
Hello bb,

I scored a 710 last week. Q 49 and V 38.
A little panicked about the quant percentile. It is 79. Will that be a red flag? As I have read sectional scores are expected to be 80+ for top schools.

Awaiting your thoughts .

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

I am no authority on this, but from what I talked with some admission consultants, first, it's no trivial to get Q49, it's a pretty high score and well it depends on the rest of your application, usually if you come from a scientific/engineering fields, then they assume they have nothing to worry about your quantitative skills. If you come on the other hand, from a marketting field, or from a field where you don't really see numbers all day, then you need more to prove your quantitative skills and in this case a 50-51 will be better. All in all I think 710 is an outstanding grade, I totally understand if you think it's an annoying grade because top b-schools GMAT average is above it, but if the rest of your candidancy is good, I think that the GMAT won't be an issue IMO.

As to myself, I just saw that gmatclub has its own SC book written by its founder so I'll use this book for SC and I'll use the RC and CR books recomended by this forum (RC MGMAT and CR from powerscore) and may god help me :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts