Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 16:01 It is currently 08 May 2024, 16:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2138 [27]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: Growing evidence that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not in just [#permalink]
Kudos
KC wrote:
Growing evidence that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has led scientists and planners to urge a stringent new approach to limiting development along the nation’s shoreline.

A. coastal erosion occurs continuously, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has
B. coastal erosion occurs continuously, not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes, has
C. coastal erosion is continuously occurring, not in just calamitous bursts like hurricanes, having
D. there is continuous coastal erosion, not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes, which has
E. there is continuous coastal erosion occurring, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has

B

Highlighted portions in A, C and E are incorrect.
In D it is unclear which has led scientists.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [2]
Send PM
Re: Growing evidence that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not in just [#permalink]
Kudos
anandsebastin wrote:
KC wrote:
Growing evidence that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has led scientists and planners to urge a stringent new approach to limiting development along the nation’s shoreline.

A. coastal erosion occurs continuously, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has
B. coastal erosion occurs continuously, not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes, has
C. coastal erosion is continuously occurring, not in just calamitous bursts like hurricanes, having
D. there is continuous coastal erosion, not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes, which has
E. there is continuous coastal erosion occurring, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has

B

Highlighted portions in A, C and E are incorrect.
In D it is unclear which has led scientists.

Additionally, "such as" shows exact examples. Here, hurricanes are used as an example of a burst that expedites the erosion process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Shouldn't it be "like" and not "such as"? 'Like' emphasizes similarity, which is what is required here.

Also, I seem to have found the original: https://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/24/scien ... pment.html

Scientists and Planners Consider New Limits To Coastal Development
By CORY DEAN
Published: July 24, 1990

GROWING evidence that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not just in calamitous bursts like Hurricane Hugo, has led scientists, planners and some Federal disaster officials to urge a stringent new approach to limiting development along the nation's shoreline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Kudos
rahul321 wrote:
Shouldn't it be "like" and not "such as"? 'Like' emphasizes similarity, which is what is required here.

Also, I seem to have found the original: https://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/24/scien ... pment.html

Scientists and Planners Consider New Limits To Coastal Development
By CORY DEAN
Published: July 24, 1990

GROWING evidence that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not just in calamitous bursts like Hurricane Hugo, has led scientists, planners and some Federal disaster officials to urge a stringent new approach to limiting development along the nation's shoreline.

There was an interesting statement in Manhattan SC guide - In modern English, like is often misused to mean "for example." Even the New York Times endorses this faulty usage. But the GMAT is firm on the issue.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1334 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
B is the answer, 'such as' is the right usage here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Answer should be B.
Even if use of like in D could be correct, the sentence is incorrect..since it says growing evidence.., which has.. the use of which is wring here.. If there was a verb clause defining growing evidence ( growing evidence exists/ growing eveidence is being found) then it could have been follwoed by WHICH has- not correct in this case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
vivesomnium wrote:
Answer should be B.
Even if use of like in D could be correct, the sentence is incorrect..since it says growing evidence.., which has.. the use of which is wring here.. If there was a verb clause defining growing evidence ( growing evidence exists/ growing eveidence is being found) then it could have been follwoed by WHICH has- not correct in this case.

I know that the OA is B. But why are you referring to option D - "like" isn't even used in 'D' it's only used in options A, C & E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
B.

Guys please mention the resource. I don't want to solve GMAT prep Qs as I am yet to give the test.
This will inflate the score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Guys,
Can we reflect a little bit on the logic of each answer and why it's wrong.
I did a 2/3 split between costal/there is

I chose there is, because it went better with the sentense. Finally answer E was pretty good I chose E. I went back to all the answers, and B sounded pretty good out of other choices. Finally I chose E. (I know this is not the answer), but could someone elaborate on each answer and why it's wrong?

Thanks,
Regards,
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
I was confused between option B and D. My answer was D: "Growing evidence that there is ..."
Can someone please elaborate why this is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
Dear scofield1521,

D is not a complete sentence.

Let's review D:
Growing evidence [that there is continuous coastal erosion[, not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes,]] [which has led scientists and planners to urge a stringent new approach to limiting development along the nation’s shoreline.]

The subject of this sentence is "growing evidence". This subject is followed by three modifiers:
1) that there is continuous coastal erosion: provides information about what kind of evidence is being talked about
2) not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes: provides extra information about where the coastal erosion is occurring
3) which has led ... shoreline: provides information about "some" noun (does not matter which -- the pronoun is ambiguous but the main error lies elsewhere) before the "which"

Now notice that there is no main verb anywhere in the sentence, making the sentence in D a fragment.

--Prasad
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
GMAT Date: 09-01-2016
Send PM
I will go with B. Such as should be used to give examples.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
Growing evidence that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has led scientists and planners to urge a stringent new approach to limiting development along the nation's shoreline.

between B & D,
'Growing evidence ' led scientists and planners to urge a stringent new approach.
But in D, the meaning is changed, it says the hurricanes(, which has) led scientists and planners to urge a stringent new approach.

Ans : B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 437 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos

1.Active voice is correctly used.
2.'not just in' is better than 'not in just'.
3.Although like is used for comparison ,here i dont find a reason to say that it is wrongly used because the calamitous bursts is compared to hurricanes.
4.Which after comma modifies noun directly before the comma,so which is modifying hurricanes .So it is wrong.
5.Option B is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kindly elaborate on not in just vs not just in
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7650 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
KC wrote:
Growing evidence that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has led scientists and planners to urge a stringent new approach to limiting development along the nation's shoreline.

(A) coastal erosion occurs continuously, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has

(B) coastal erosion occurs continuously, not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes, has

(C) coastal erosion is continuously occurring, not in just calamitous bursts like hurricanes, having

(D) there is continuous coastal erosion, not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes, which has

(E) there is continuous coastal erosion occurring, not in just such calamitous bursts like hurricanes, has

This question is based on Sentence Structure and Idiomatic usage.

In Option A, the placement of the adverb ‘just’ changes the meaning. The adverb, as it is placed in this option modifies ‘such calamitous bursts’. It should modify the other adverb ‘not’. Additionally, the conjunction ‘like’ implies a comparison that is not being made in the sentence. The sentence gives an example of calamitous bursts which is conveyed by the phrase ‘such as’. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B contains the appropriate idiomatic usage – such as. The placement of the adverb ‘just’ is also appropriate in this option. So, B is the best option.

Option C is incomplete. The sentence as conveyed by this option only contains two modifiers without a subject and verb to complete the sentence. It also contains the same error of adverb placement as Option A. So, Option C can be eliminated.

Option D is also incomplete. It again consists of two modifiers. The only difference between C and D is the form of the second modifier. So, Option D can also be eliminated.

Option E also has the same incorrect adverb placement as Options A and C. The phrase “continuous coastal erosion occurring” is redundant as either the adjective ‘continuous’ or the present participle ‘occurring’ would convey the sense of continuity. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Therefore, B is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts