Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 19:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:59) correct 43% (01:32) wrong based on 792 sessions
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(8) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [3] , given: 4

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 19:32
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A

rise and higher is redundant
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 398 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 18:15
This post received
KUDOS
Example of ellipsis

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last [year's prices] ----> Bulls eye

A is correct. "expected to be" is correct idiom. and "paying" is correct.

hence A.

C: is comparing expectations of this year vs the last year's. change of meaning. OUT

A it is.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 22:42
Yes by the process of elimination we reach A.

Can some one explain what exactly are we comparing here and whether the things being compared are parallel.

IMO we are comparing the prices last year with the prices this year and the years.
From a parallelism perspective is A correct? If yes How?

Experts please comment.

Thanks
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 23:12
Its clear we are comparing the heating oil prices of current year with the previous'

Refiners are paying the cruel oil prices not the taxes :lol:

You refine crude oil and get the heating - oil. Hence when the price of crude oil goes up then heating oil will become expensive.

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 11:56
Killer explanation.... :beat

:wink: I wanted to know the elipse funda...btw
i've been hearing it for quite some time now...everytiime i think i caught a parallelism bug...it turns out to be ellipse..

Can we please discuss so that i dont commit a mistake again?

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 07:56

Can someone please explain why C is wrong. I thought the comparison is between this year's heating oil prices and last year's heating oil prices.

option C

Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's [heating-oil prices].....................correct comparison

option A

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last [dont we need last year's heating-oil prices?]

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
37 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 88

Kudos [?]: 374 [37] , given: 0

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
papillon86 wrote:

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

You've done a good job guys! Let me see if I can help you out with some of the confusion regarding comparisons and ellipses:

A. Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
What is compared here are the times-- "this year" and "last" (meaning "last year"-- this is an ellipses).

When comparing time or place, you have two options for structuring the comparison:

1. Joe studies more at night that he does during the day. (The sentence compares Joe to himself.)

2. Joe studies more at night than during the day. (The sentence compares "at night" to "during the day.")

B. Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Important Note!! The comparative structure requires that you use "than" after the "--er".

Correct: Tom is older than Bob.
Incorrect: Tom is older compared to/in comparison with/over Bob

You must use "than" after you've used a word ending with --er.

C. Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

You can stop reading as soon as you get to "for heating-oil prices" because that is not a correct description of the the expectations. The expectations are not for prices, but rather that prices will....

Important Note: Do not change a relative clause into a mere prepositional phrase!!

Ex. "I think that chickens fly" (relative clause: that+subject+verb) IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO "I think of chickens flying" (prepositional phrase: of chickens)

D. It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

Same problem as B.

E. It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

"prices will rise higher this year than last year's" uses ellipses that hide the logic problem. Complete everything that was left out, and the resulting sentence is: "prices will rise higher this year than last year's prices rose. This is not intended meaning of the sentence.

Second, the word "more" is not correctly placed.

Correct: I paid 5 dollars more for my sandwich today than I did yesterday.

Incorrect: I paid 5 dollars for my sandwich more than I did yesterday.

"More" describes $5 and must therefore be placed next to $5.

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 10:26
Very nice explanation :lol:

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [2] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
I have faced problems with these kinds of questions often...finally after reading Sara's note I am clear on how to handle these problems... would like to present a summary of my understanding to clear potential doubts in the minds of people who are struggling with these concepts...
---------------------------------------------
It is not correct to say -

HEATING OIL PRICES THIS YEAR ARE EXPECTED TO BE HIGHER THAN LAST YEAR – this way we are comparing heating oil prices of this year with the LAST YEAR (an illogical comparison) where as what we intend to compare are the prices of heating oil in each of the two years).

So we must rephrase it as - HEATING OIL PRICES THIS YEAR ARE EXPECTED TO BE HIGHER THAN THE HEATING OIL PRICE OF LAST YEAR

WHICH CAN BE ELLIPSED TO

HEATING OIL PRICES THIS YEAR ARE EXPECTED TO BE HIGHER THAN LAST YEAR’S [PRICE]
OR HEATING OIL PRICES THIS YEAR ARE EXPECTED TO BE HIGHER THAN THEY WERE LAST YEAR

Another form similar to the one above is -
THIS YEAR, THE HEATING OIL PRICES ARE EXPECTED TO BE HIGHER THAN THEY WERE LAST YEAR (NOT HIGHER THAN LAST YEAR)
Or ellipsed form THIS YEAR, THE HEATING OIL PRICES ARE EXPECTED TO BE HIGHER THAN LAST YEAR’S [HEATING OIL PRICE]

Now if we reword the whole sentence as below – (we have removed THIS YEAR from the first part of the sentence and positioned it AFTER the main verb (are)

HEATING OIL PRICES ARE EXPECTED TO BE HIGHER THIS YEAR THAN LAST
Now the comparison focus shifts from Price to Time frame (this year versus last)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 21:33
nice explanation guys .. thanks ..
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 06:35
Quote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

Hi everyone .......

Thanks a lot for such a detailed explanation!! :P

There is just one thing that is still bugging me:-
In option A ----- "Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were" last year,

shouldn't there be "paying" AGAIN after "were" to make it as:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were paying last year.

How can we hide "paying" ? Is this also ellipses ?? If so, kindly explain as i have NOT understood this well !!

Thanks so much

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 0

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 02:27
Hi tgtharvard,

Yes, this is ellipses. Since "paying" already appears in the sentence, there is no need to repeat it after the word "were".

Best,
Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product

Intern
Intern

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 03:36
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Hi tgtharvard,

Yes, this is ellipses. Since "paying" already appears in the sentence, there is no need to repeat it after the word "were".

Best,
Sarai

Dear Sarai ....

Thanks for clarifying that ..... !!

And now that it is indeed an ellipses, please bear with me as i have another doubt that comes to light if option A is correct. Please help me with this one as well !!! ....... Sorry for the trouble!!!! :-

In the last part of this sentence:
Quote:

Who does THEY refer to ????

Isn't it a case of unclear antecedent reference as "they" could refer to both "Heating-Oil prices" as well as "Refiners" ???

I know that the use of "were" makes it refer to "prices" but if we had used "did" instead of "were" it could as easily have referred to "refiners". In any case, the use of "were" or "did" doesnt stop "they from being called "an ambigios referrent", does it ?!?!
I hope i have made my doubt clear and not confused you all further !! :)

And if that is NOT the case, then could u please explain as to where am I faulting in my logic !!!!

Thanks a ton ...

Sam

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 374 [3] , given: 0

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Sam,

The issue of ambiguous pronouns is more a matter of logic than a GMAT 'trick'. If the pronoun has more than one logical referent, there is ambiguity.

Ex. Computer A is next to computer B, and it is broken.

In this sentence both computers are logical referents for "it". When you are presented with an ambiguous pronoun you will have trouble understanding what your sentence is saying. A correct answer will be a version of the sentence that is easier for you to understand because it is clearer.

Ex. Computer A, which is next to computer B, is broken.

In the problem at hand, "refiners" are the only word that make sense as the subject for the verb "were (paying)". Nothing else in the sentence has the ability to pay, so there is no problem with ambiguity here.

Hope that helps! Lots of luck!!!

-Sarai

Sarai

Intern
Intern

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 03:55
Thank You for a gr8 & also a very prompt reply.

Will keep this thing in mind. .......

Thanks a lot ......

Kudos to u ..... actually, let me give it rather than say it !!! :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 05:14
Hi, Sarai! thanks for the nice explanation first, helps a lot.

but I still have a question concerning A...

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:

A. Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
What is compared here are the times-- "this year" and "last" (meaning "last year"-- this is an ellipses).

OA says that "the sentense connects a comparison between this year's and last year’s heating-oil prices", not the time frame...

i'm so confused, hope you can shed some light on this issue.
thank you in advance:)
Intern
Intern

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 07:41
kindly post OA along with the questions
Intern
Intern

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 12:09
KimiHana wrote:
KimiHana wrote:
Hi, Sarai! thanks for the nice explanation first, helps a lot.

but I still have a question concerning A...

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:

OA says that "the sentense connects a comparison between this year's and last year’s heating-oil prices", not the time frame...

i'm so confused, hope you can shed some light on this issue.
thank you in advance:)

Can anybody explain this one?

Yes the OG mentions 'the possessive last year's does not parallel the adverbial phrase this year' as one of the reasons for 'E' being wrong.

We are comparing last year's heating-oil prices to this year's heating-oil prices! And option 'E' clearly creates a parallel between the prices. I don't understand what is OG's point.

Any expert please?

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 17:53
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
papillon86 wrote:

You've done a good job guys! Let me see if I can help you out with some of the confusion regarding comparisons and ellipses:

When comparing time or place, you have two options for structuring the comparison:

1. Joe studies more at night that he does during the day. (The sentence compares Joe to himself.)

2. Joe studies more at night than during the day. (The sentence compares "at night" to "during the day.")

B. Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Important Note!! The comparative structure requires that you use "than" after the "--er".

Correct: Tom is older than Bob.
Incorrect: Tom is older compared to/in comparison with/over Bob

You must use "than" after you've used a word ending with --er.

C. Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

You can stop reading as soon as you get to "for heating-oil prices" because that is not a correct description of the the expectations. The expectations are not for prices, but rather that prices will....

Important Note: Do not change a relative clause into a mere prepositional phrase!!

Ex. "I think that chickens fly" (relative clause: that+subject+verb) IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO "I think of chickens flying" (prepositional phrase: of chickens)

D. It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

Same problem as B.

E. It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

"prices will rise higher this year than last year's" uses ellipses that hide the logic problem. Complete everything that was left out, and the resulting sentence is: "prices will rise higher this year than last year's prices rose. This is not intended meaning of the sentence.

Second, the word "more" is not correctly placed.

Correct: I paid 5 dollars more for my sandwich today than I did yesterday.

Incorrect: I paid 5 dollars for my sandwich more than I did yesterday.

"More" describes $5 and must therefore be placed next to $5.

These are great points! Although I did not analyze this sentence so thoroughly, I came to A since the more was oddly placed in most sentences I would have considered

$5 a barrel more for crude oil Vs. $5 a barrel for crude oil more

After narrowing those down, then I started comparing the options.
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2011, 17:53