GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
G
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 11:38
darshak1 wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Is "pay" correct here? I eliminated B & D considering that , "refiners are paying" is superior to "refiners pay". Refiners pay sounds as if refiners are always paying 5 dollars more.(Kinda Universal truth).

Is my reasoning correct?
GMATNinja egmat mikemcgarry

Hello darshak1!

Thanks for your question! As you can see from my explanation above, I didn't cover the "are paying/pay" debate at all. Why? Because both are correct to use here and mean the same thing. There are other differences between each option that actually are grammatically incorrect, and if you follow those differences, you'll get to the correct answer quickly.

Sometimes, the GMAT likes to throw in things like this to trip you up. Typically, if you see a comparison question, start by focusing your attention there instead of which present tense verb to use. It's more common in a comparison question to see problems with the comparison and less so with other minor things.

I hope this helps!

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 12:30
rashwiniyer wrote:
Can someone explain how and when do we know about ellipses ? I am still not clear why A is correct. We have to assume lot of things for A to be correct.
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than (heating-oil prices were) last (year) Parentheses are omitted. --- Why do we assume this? and more than that how do we know about this?

For more on ellipses, check out the discussion in this thread.

Also, repeating what I wrote in this post:

"I’m also OK with the comparison: “refiners are paying… more for crude oil than they were [paying] last year.” I don't think that it’s ideal, but it’s definitely not wrong, and the GMAT would argue that the word “paying” is implied after “were.” Again, I’m not crazy about it, but it conveys the meaning clearly enough."

I hope this helps a bit!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 02:38
772.Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

Correct Answer

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Rise and higher : Redundancy . Higher Over( Incorrect )

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

It means that we are deciding and talking that our expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher . Meaning change.

prices to be higher this year than last year's : Prices to be higher or prices are high this year than last year. ( SO WRONG)

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

Same issue with expectation as C. So WRONG

(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

It is expected.( WRONG), Its not a planning that we are expecting. Meaning shift

Rise and higher : Redundancy

If this post is helpful for you please press the kudos button
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 02:54
cici wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

OG2017 SC772

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 223: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/06/business/relief-for-winter-heating-oil-prices-fall.html

Heating oil prices, however, are expected to be higher than last year because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year. Still, crude prices have also retreated from their highs in recent weeks.

Attachment:
080.jpg

Attachment:
081.jpg

Attachment:
082.jpg

From which book is the answer explanation that is attached to the "Spoiler"?

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 05:33
daagh wrote:
Ellipsis is at its full play in this topic. Let me paraphrase it, with the elliptical elements in parenthesis.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year
than last (year) because refiners are paying about $5 a
barrel more for crude oil than they were (paying) last year.
One can now see how the comparisons are smugly fitting in.

2.) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise
higher this year than last year's because refiners
pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than
they did

A cue for the correctness of the comparison can be had from the placement of the comparison -marker such as than etc. The comparison marker is place placed either next or prior to what it compares. Here in this case, than is placed next to this year and therefore the comparison should legally appear with a similar feature such as last year and not last year’s.

daagh
one doubt i have :
heationg oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last
here last year and this year are being compared as than is closest to last and on lhs of than we have this year.
But what is the basis of comparison here ?
Is it
Prices this year vs prices last year.

See if i say
Michael loves Julie more than Sara.
it may mean
Michael loves julie more than Mochael loves(subject+verb repeated fro understanding) Sara
or it may mean
Mochael loves julie more than Sara loves Julie(verb+object )

So this is ambiguity
Now coming to orgnl sentence
i cannot say
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than[heating oil prices are expected] last year (repated sub+verb)--but this is tense issue ,it should be were but since were is no where else used in this senetnce so we cannot omit were so this cannot be desried compariosn
So my question is
Are we taking that only subject is repeated here.is that allowed?
heating oil prices this year than [heating oil prices--repeating only subject] last year.
but isnot it wrong to assume something after than when last year is given after than
so if last year is given than how we made compariosn of price this year vs price[how did this price came after than] last year
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 08:15
Top Contributor
There are two compariosn here; you might see that 'than' is used in two places.
1.In the first case the central element is heating oil and the comparison is between heating oil prices last year and their prices this year. A straight comparison between two nouns because there is no action verb but only a linking verb (are expected) -
Take-away: When a sentence has no action verb, the comparison stays between the nouns.
2. refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

Here, there is an action verb ' 'are paying' that is central to the comparison as between what the refiners were paying last year and what they are paying this year. In both cases, the noun or the agent of the action is the same i.e. refiners.
Therefore, the subject goes to the background and the action verb comes to fore. This is the major difference.

Please also be careful with the use of tense as tense is the key time-marker, which is bound to change according to the actual timing of the action. Whether expressed or elided, what happened and ended yesterday will always be in the past tense, what happens now always in the present tense and what will happen tomorrow, always in the future tense. We can't say, the child at last night, the child ate now or the child will ate tomorrow. This is the essence of ellipsis and parallelism.

Sentence structure, grammar, logic, and effective expression are the most essential vibes of GMAT SC.
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 09:14
daagh wrote:
There are two compariosn here; you might see that 'than' is used in two places.
1.In the first case the central element is heating oil and the comparison is between heating oil prices last year and their prices this year. A straight comparison between two nouns because there is no action verb but only a linking verb (are expected) -
Take-away: When a sentence has no action verb, the comparison stays between the nouns.
2. refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

Here, there is an action verb ' 'are paying' that is central to the comparison as between what the refiners were paying last year and what they are paying this year. In both cases, the noun or the agent of the action is the same i.e. refiners.
Therefore, the subject goes to the background and the action verb comes to fore. This is the major difference.

Please also be careful with the use of tense as tense is the key time-marker, which is bound to change according to the actual timing of the action. Whether expressed or elided, what happened and ended yesterday will always be in the past tense, what happens now always in the present tense and what will happen tomorrow, always in the future tense. We can't say, the child at last night, the child ate now or the child will ate tomorrow. This is the essence of ellipsis and parallelism.

Sentence structure, grammar, logic, and effective expression are the most essential vibes of GMAT SC.

daagh
Than you ,understood a major chunk
Am i right in saying :

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than[heating oil prices are expected] last year (repated sub+verb)--but this is tense issue ,it should be were but since were is no where else used in this senetnce so we cannot omit were so this cannot be desried compariosn

Also
heating oil prices were higher last year than they were in 1980
I can write this as Heating oil prices were higher last year than in 1980

But
Heating oil prices are higher today than in 1980
this is wrong as if i removed ellipse
then
Heating oil prices are higher today than they were in 1980
so diff tenses so cannot be elided.
M i right?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 11:34
daagh wrote:
Ellipsis is at its full play in this topic. Let me paraphrase it, with the elliptical elements in parenthesis.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year
than last (year) because refiners are paying about $5 a
barrel more for crude oil than they were (paying) last year.
One can now see how the comparisons are smugly fitting in.

Hi daagh

I have a doubt about the 2nd ellipsis 'paying'. I do understand that option 'A' is the best available option.

Both noun and verb could be removed from the 2nd part if the 1st part contains the 'removed' word and in the same form. However if there's a shift in the verb tense then the verb in the 2nd part should be mentioned.

In option 'A' there's a tense shift from present continuous 'are playing' to past continuous 'were playing', therefore the second part should mention 'paying'.

Can you please help me in my understanding here.

Thanks
Saurabh
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 23:26
Top Contributor
Perhaps Ron also expressed the same concerns but reconciled to the fact,that in the absense of a better chocie which reflects the change of tense, or when all the chocies carry the same problem, it would be pragamatic to choose the best available choice. Perhaps the intnetion of the GMAT is to veryfy whether the test taker is dogmatic or pragmatic in the ordinry business of life, but not that GMAT is unawre of pure grammar. The choice is ours.
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 01:24
[quote="cici"]Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

comparison is hard
if we want to cut off a phrase, the similar entities should have the same grammatical role in each clause. this makes paralelism and this parallelism will help us infer the cut off phrase
the price will rise higher this year than last year
this year and last year should have the same gramatical role, specifically, adverb, in the two clauses.
if "last year" takes another gramatical role in the second clause, everything in the second clause must be clear
the price will rise higher this year than the price of last year do.
but, I dont like the second sentence because the lack of parallelism makes the sentence strange.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V32
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2019, 06:22
While I see alot of explanations on this thread, I want to understand what is the split that can bee done for such a queestion?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2019, 06:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 51 posts ] 

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics