It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 843 [4], given: 0

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2010, 04:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Sam,

The issue of ambiguous pronouns is more a matter of logic than a GMAT 'trick'. If the pronoun has more than one logical referent, there is ambiguity.

Ex. Computer A is next to computer B, and it is broken.

In this sentence both computers are logical referents for "it". When you are presented with an ambiguous pronoun you will have trouble understanding what your sentence is saying. A correct answer will be a version of the sentence that is easier for you to understand because it is clearer.

Ex. Computer A, which is next to computer B, is broken.

In the problem at hand, "refiners" are the only word that make sense as the subject for the verb "were (paying)". Nothing else in the sentence has the ability to pay, so there is no problem with ambiguity here.

Hope that helps! Lots of luck!!!

-Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Kudos [?]: 843 [4], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Schools: Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2010, 04:55
Thank You for a gr8 & also a very prompt reply.

Will keep this thing in mind. .......

Thanks a lot ......

Kudos to u ..... actually, let me give it rather than say it !!! :)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2010, 06:14
Hi, Sarai! thanks for the nice explanation first, helps a lot.

but I still have a question concerning A...

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:

A. Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
What is compared here are the times-- "this year" and "last" (meaning "last year"-- this is an ellipses).

OA says that "the sentense connects a comparison between this year's and last year’s heating-oil prices", not the time frame...

i'm so confused, hope you can shed some light on this issue.
thank you in advance:)

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1105 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 20:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's becuase refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 21:18
i did this question based on elimination, rather than selection.

you can straight away rule out c, d, and e because of the wordy nature of the sentences and the wrong grammar used.

from a and b, higher should be followed by 'than', so the OA should be A.

The options you suggested don't go with this construction of the sentence as the word
prices has been mentioned in the start of the sentence.

ps: if you give gmat prep's sc's, you'll find plenty of sc qsns which are not about the correct sentence/construction but finding the best of the lot.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 246 [3], given: 65

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
A.

This is a comparison question I often have trouble with, but I will do my best to explain.

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than (heating-oil prices were) last (year) Parentheses are omitted. - correct compoarison
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year's or last's (Heating-oil prices) -wrong comparison. We are comparing this year to last year.
If you want to use last year's, we must write
This year's heating-oil prices are expected to be higher than last year's or last's -correct

Let's say Heating-oil prices are just A. We can rewrite
A is expected to be higher this year than (A was) last (year). - correct
A is expected to be higher this year than last's (A) - wrong as this sentence is comparing this year to last year's A.
This year's A is expected to be higher than last year's/last's A - correct

B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
Higher over is unidiomatic. Higher...than is correct.
rise higher is redundant.

C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's becuase refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
are for heating-oil prices to be is wordy and confusing
last year's should be last year for the same reason mentioned in A.
are paying should be followed by they were

D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
It is the expectation that is unnecessarily wordy. It is expected that is better.
'higher....over' is wrong. 'higher...than' is correct.

E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
I think that you made a typo. Answer choice must be 'It is expected that' not 'it is the expected that,' which is correct.
last year's is wrong for the same reason explained earlier in answer A.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Last edited by scheol79 on 31 Oct 2010, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 246 [3], given: 65

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 22:24
scheol79 wrote:
A.

This is a comparison question I often have trouble with, but I will do my best to explain.

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than (heating-oil prices were) last (year) Parentheses are omitted. - correct compoarison
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year's or last's (Heating-oil prices) -wrong comparison. We are comparing this year to last year.
If you want to use last year's, we must write
This year's heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year's or last's -correct

Let's say Heating-oil prices are just A. We can rewrite
A is expected to be higher this year than (A was) last (year). - correct
A is expected to be higher this year than last's (A) - wrong as this sentence is comparing this year to last year's A.
This year's A is expected to be higher this year than last year's/last's A - correct

Higher over is unidiomatic. Higher...than is correct.

are for heating-oil prices to be is wordy and confusing
last year's should be last year for the same reason mentioned in A.
are paying should be followed by they were

It is the expectation that is unnecessarily wordy. It is expected that is better.
'higher....over' is wrong. 'higher...than' is correct.

I think that you made a typo. Answer choice must be 'It is expected that' not 'it is the expected that,' which is correct.
last year's is wrong for the same reason explained earlier in answer A.

IMO A too.
it's all correct.Moreover, in options B and E rise higher is redundant.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 25

Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2010, 00:49
C, D, E Out
B --> Higher ...over incorrect idiom
A is best option

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 25

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2011, 08:41
kindly post OA along with the questions

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2011, 07:51
Why "they were" is correct in A? Why not they did? In-fact, should we be repeating the entire verb when we change the tense - Re: MGMAT SC?

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 17

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 196 [2], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2011, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
abhicoolmax wrote:
Why "they were" is correct in A? Why not they did? In-fact, should we be repeating the entire verb when we change the tense - Re: MGMAT SC?

This is a very good question. The general strategy followed is, whenever you come across an ellipsis (ommitting a part of the sentence if there is no ambiguity) the best way to check is to complete the sentence and see if the verb is correct.

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were paying ...

Vs

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they did paying ...

As you can see the second version does not make sense (it should have been pay for did to be correct).

However if the original sentence is reworded as

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners paid about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they did pay ... => did is correct here. (I agree this version does not make logical sense :), just for illustration purposes).

Crick

Kudos [?]: 196 [2], given: 37

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2011, 13:09
KimiHana wrote:
KimiHana wrote:
Hi, Sarai! thanks for the nice explanation first, helps a lot.

but I still have a question concerning A...

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:

A. Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
What is compared here are the times-- "this year" and "last" (meaning "last year"-- this is an ellipses).

OA says that "the sentense connects a comparison between this year's and last year’s heating-oil prices", not the time frame...

i'm so confused, hope you can shed some light on this issue.
thank you in advance:)

Can anybody explain this one?

Yes the OG mentions 'the possessive last year's does not parallel the adverbial phrase this year' as one of the reasons for 'E' being wrong.

We are comparing last year's heating-oil prices to this year's heating-oil prices! And option 'E' clearly creates a parallel between the prices. I don't understand what is OG's point.

Any expert please?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2011, 18:53
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
papillon86 wrote:

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

You've done a good job guys! Let me see if I can help you out with some of the confusion regarding comparisons and ellipses:

When comparing time or place, you have two options for structuring the comparison:

1. Joe studies more at night that he does during the day. (The sentence compares Joe to himself.)

2. Joe studies more at night than during the day. (The sentence compares "at night" to "during the day.")

B. Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Important Note!! The comparative structure requires that you use "than" after the "--er".

Correct: Tom is older than Bob.
Incorrect: Tom is older compared to/in comparison with/over Bob

You must use "than" after you've used a word ending with --er.

C. Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

You can stop reading as soon as you get to "for heating-oil prices" because that is not a correct description of the the expectations. The expectations are not for prices, but rather that prices will....

Important Note: Do not change a relative clause into a mere prepositional phrase!!

Ex. "I think that chickens fly" (relative clause: that+subject+verb) IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO "I think of chickens flying" (prepositional phrase: of chickens)

D. It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

Same problem as B.

E. It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

"prices will rise higher this year than last year's" uses ellipses that hide the logic problem. Complete everything that was left out, and the resulting sentence is: "prices will rise higher this year than last year's prices rose. This is not intended meaning of the sentence.

Second, the word "more" is not correctly placed.

Correct: I paid 5 dollars more for my sandwich today than I did yesterday.

Incorrect: I paid 5 dollars for my sandwich more than I did yesterday.

"More" describes $5 and must therefore be placed next to $5.

These are great points! Although I did not analyze this sentence so thoroughly, I came to A since the more was oddly placed in most sentences I would have considered

$5 a barrel more for crude oil Vs. $5 a barrel for crude oil more

After narrowing those down, then I started comparing the options.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2011, 14:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED

[Reveal] Spoiler:
These are my doubts:
Option A is not clear to me because it seems that it is comparing "heating-oil prices" with "last [year]", so it would be incorrect, but it is the OA. In this sense, I suppose that option A is ommiting some words, but I cannot identify which words. It is not clear whether the prices in this year are expected to be higher than the estimated prices in the last year or the real prices in that year. For example:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than [they were] last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were.
The first "were" seems that it is ommiting "expected to be", so we would be talking about the estimated prices last year. But if it is not omitting "expected to be", it could seem that we are talking about the real prices.

But if we write in this way:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year's [prices] because ....
Here we are comparing nouns: heating-oil prices of this year with those prices of the las year (last year's). However, the OE says that this is not parallel. Why? I don't understand it.

Please your comments about it.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4122 [0], given: 217

Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2011, 16:10
Ok - lets consider why others are NOT correct.

B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did. Higher than something is correct and not higher...over...[color=#4000FF][/color]

C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices(distorts meaning) to be higher this year than last year's becuase refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did. Clearly a run on sentence and is not preferred on GMAT.

D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were. (It is the expectation----(wordy) and higher....over is oncorrect too)

E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did. (It is the expected ---> incorrect . rise higher --> redundant words)

Please consider giving me Kudos if you think my post is useful to you!

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610
GMAT ==> 730

Kudos [?]: 4122 [0], given: 217

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2011, 18:42
Hi metallicafan, parallelism is the most popular topic, but it also is the tough topic, especially parallel in comparisons. I always have problem with "which items is parallel in comparisons". You should read again the comparisons topic in MGMAT SC, you can improve this problem. I swear. Although I read this chapter many times, I still sometimes got wrong answer with comparisons.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 210 [1], given: 66

Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2012, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(8) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Whats going on with this problem?

Is this a comparsion problem or some kind of Idiom like OG12 classifies it.

If its Idiom do I even need to worry about this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 210 [1], given: 66

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 17

GPA: 3.45
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2012, 02:50
This post received
KUDOS
gmatpunjabi wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(8) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

Whats going on with this problem?

Is this a comparsion problem or some kind of Idiom like OG12 classifies it.

If its Idiom do I even need to worry about this problem?

Thanks in advance!

B- Whenever you have comparative ie words ending with 'er' you should also have than, which is missing in B.
C- Ecpectation are for- is awakward
D-It is ecpectation that- again awakwardly worded,
E-Tense issue, the first part of the sentence is in present, the second part to be parallel should also be in present tense, ie refiners are paying about

A is correct

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 7

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2012, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
+1 A

B = than is missing
C = awakward
D = awakward
E = last years´ awakward and tens issue

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 2

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2012, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
B & E - "Rise Higher" is incorrect.
C - Awkward.
D - Higher "FOR" This year - Incorrect & "Paying.... now than what they were PAYING last year"

IMO A

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 2

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2012, 00:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 107 posts ] 

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap