Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [402]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [75]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [61]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [35]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan, I agree with my colleague Ron Purewal (cited above) that the comparisons in A and C aren't necessarily faulty. There are other reasons to eliminate those choices. However, I want to make a slight correction to your analysis above. Your use of "that of" or "those of" in parentheses makes it appear that the implied comparison is between two nouns. Actually, your choices should read ("they were") or ("it was"). The comparison is actually between two adverbial modifiers. Prices are different now than they were last year. This is important because I can't say something like this:

American crows are larger today than in ancient China.

If we filled in "those," this might make sense: "American crows are larger today than those (crows) in ancient China." However, the actual implied meaning here is a comparison between two modifiers: "today" and "in ancient China." "American crows are larger today than (they were) in ancient China." This would make it seem that American crows existed in ancient China!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [24]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
manhasnoname wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:
zoezhuyan, I agree with my colleague Ron Purewal (cited above) that the comparisons in A and C aren't necessarily faulty. There are other reasons to eliminate those choices. However, I want to make a slight correction to your analysis above. Your use of "that of" or "those of" in parentheses makes it appear that the implied comparison is between two nouns. Actually, your choices should read ("they were") or ("it was"). The comparison is actually between two adverbial modifiers. Prices are different now than they were last year. This is important because I can't say something like this:

American crows are larger today than in ancient China.

If we filled in "those," this might make sense: "American crows are larger today than those (crows) in ancient China." However, the actual implied meaning here is a comparison between two modifiers: "today" and "in ancient China." "American crows are larger today than (they were) in ancient China." This would make it seem that American crows existed in ancient China!

Going by your logic, OA doesn't make sense, does it?

The choice should have been "than they were ..." . Am I correct?

The OA compares nouns ( prices now and prices of an year ago.) If the comparison were between clauses , then "they were" would be required. Clause comparison allows omission of repeated parts in some cases, but not in this example. Please see my post above.

Noun comparison: Prices now is higher than prices then.
Clause comparison: Prices are now higher than they were an year ago. (omission not allowed; "were" does not occur elsewhere in the sentence.)
Clause comparison: Prices were higher an year ago than prices were a couple of years ago (omission allowed, since "prices were" already occurs in the sentence.)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [24]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last.
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago

Both sentences are not the same grammatically.

In the first, you compare this year, a noun, with another year, namely last year, another noun.
However, in the second case you are comparing now, an adverb with a year ago, a noun.

Originally posted by daagh on 06 Sep 2016, 09:12.
Last edited by daagh on 03 May 2019, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

Arlene0504 wrote:
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised

(B) than those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising

(C) than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising

(D) as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south hurt crops and therefore raise

(E) as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising

Choice A: Option A incorrectly compares "prices" to "a year ago" and does not maintain parallelism between the verbs "are hurting" (present continuous) and "raised" (simple past). Thus, Option A is incorrect.

Choice B: Option B correctly compares "prices" to "those (prices) of a year ago" and maintains proper parallelism and conjunction use throughout the sentence. Thus, Option B is correct.

Choice C: Option C repeats the comparison error displayed in Option A. Thus, Option C is incorrect.

Choice D: Option D uses the conjunction "as"; as this conjunction does not signify contrast, its use alters the meaning of the sentence. This answer choice also fails to maintain parallelism between the verbs "hurt" and "raise". Thus, Option D is incorrect.

Choice E: Option E repeats the conjunction error found in Option D and incorrectly implies that the "prices" are hurting crops. As the phrase "despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south" is included between two commas, the modifier "and are hurting crops..." will refer to the subject of the previous clause.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of “Extra information between Two Commas on GMAT”, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [3]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I understand what you ask

this the old question, this year and last year are adverb, and they are comparision elements . they shoud be present in both part of comparision and should be paralel.

similarly, prices and those are comparison elemements and they should be present in both parts of comparision and should be paralel.

two questions are similar in that
both comparison elements are present in both parts and paralel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi daagh,

Can you please explain more on how did you eliminate option E for using "as"?

IMO: As needs a clause after it and in this case we have "as they were a year ago".

Kindly help.

daagh wrote:
First thing: Please look into transcription; corn and soybean prices should not be underlined.

For those who want to go into the complicated process finding the nuances in meaning created by ellipsis, they can do that; but before that one should ensure that one can eliminate as many choices as possible on grammar alone. IMO, this problem can be easily solved without bothering about the differences in meaning of comparison. We can forthwith dispense with D and E for using the ‘as’ comparator instead of the ‘than’ comparator. Among A, B and C:

A: than a year ago and are going down, even though floods I the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised --- are hurting and raised are blatant shift of tense. So gone.
B: than those of a year ago, and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising ---Grammatically good
C: than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising—This is a fragment; the conjunction ‘and’ creates confusion as to what are hurting crops and raising. They seem to point to the subject the sentence prices at producer level;

As a foot-note, I wish to add a small comment by no less than Ron on this
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 32362.html

Quote:
RonPurewal wrote: both versions are fine.
I looked at the problem, and—just as I suspected—the choices with '...than a year ago' can be eliminated for other, quite straightforward, reasons.

Don’t forget—the OG answer keys are usually incomplete, and often incorrect.
The official PROBLEMS are essentially flawless, but the official answer keys are not. (GMAC's all-stars, the people who write the problems, do not write the answer keys; GMAC 'outsources' that work to people of lesser talent, presumably to cut costs.)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [15]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
My reason for eliminating E is that, ‘higher’ a comparative degree of comparison, requires ‘than’ rather than “as”.

1.3 percent ‘higher now than’ is good. 1.3 percent ‘higher now as’ is incorrect. This is a rule of grammar.

‘As’ can act as a role player, as a preposition and as a conjunction. You require a clause only when it is used as a conjunction. In the other cases, it is followed by nouns. In this stimulus ‘as’ is used a preposition.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [9]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Kudos