Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [21]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31946 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: In comparison to the drivers who live in Mountainview, a greater pro [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
KS15 wrote:
carcass wrote:
In comparison to the drivers who live in Mountainview, a greater proportion of the drivers who live in Oak Valley exceed the speed limit regularly. This explains why there are more accidents each year in Oak Valley than in Mountainview.

All of the following statements, if true, weaken the conclusion drawn above EXCEPT:

(A) Oak Valley has a greater proportion of blind intersections and sharp turns than has Mountainview.

(B) There is a greater number of drivers in Oak Valley than in Mountainview.

(C) Drivers in Mountainview must travel to Oak Valley to shop and work.

(D) Per capita, there are fewer police officers monitoring traffic in Oak Valley than there are in Mountainview.

(E) The roads are icier for a greater portion of the year in Oak Valley than in Mountainview

Looks like B to me. All except B weaken. Could you please post OE? Experts?

Hi,
i'll just stick to B and D for explanation--

ARGUMENT-
The para says that due to larger proportion of drivers xg speed limits in OAK, there are more number of accidents there.

lets see which out of B and D weakens the argument..

If there are more numbers of drivers, then the higher number of accidents could be because of more drivers rather than their xg speed limit.
May be more accidents but accidents per driver can still be higher at Mountain view due to smaller number of drivers there
so it does weaken the argument

(D) Per capita, there are fewer police officers monitoring traffic in Oak Valley than there are in Mountainview.
firstly police monitoring can be considered out of context ..
But even if it is considered, it can actually strengthen the argument.
It is possible that due to less police trafficking, the drivers speed more resulting in more accidents

ans D
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: In comparison to the drivers who live in Mountainview, a greater pro [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
KS15 wrote:
carcass wrote:
In comparison to the drivers who live in Mountainview, a greater proportion of the drivers who live in Oak Valley exceed the speed limit regularly. This explains why there are more accidents each year in Oak Valley than in Mountainview.

All of the following statements, if true, weaken the conclusion drawn above EXCEPT:

(A) Oak Valley has a greater proportion of blind intersections and sharp turns than has Mountainview.

(E) The roads are icier for a greater portion of the year in Oak Valley than in Mountainview

Looks like B to me. All except B weaken. Could you please post OE? Experts?

Hi,

ARGUMENT-
The para says that due to larger proportion of drivers xg speed limits in OAK, there are more number of accidents there.

If there are more numbers of drivers, then the higher number of accidents could be because of more drivers rather than their xg speed limit.
May be more accidents but accidents per driver can still be higher at Mountain view due to smaller number of drivers there

It is possible that due to less police trafficking, the drivers speed more resulting in more accidents

ans D

HI Chetan,

In B, just because Oak has greater number of drivers does not automatically mean these drivers are causing the accidents. AFAIK, we cant make such assumptions in GMAT.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31946 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
KS15 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
KS15 wrote:

Hi,

ARGUMENT-

ans D

HI Chetan,

In B, just because Oak has greater number of drivers does not automatically mean these drivers are causing the accidents. AFAIK, we cant make such assumptions in GMAT.

Hi,

two reasons Why B should not be the reason..

1) D is a stronger contender and clearly does nothing to weaken the argument.
2) The reasoning that excess number of drivers leading to higher number of accidents is very valid and you will find it in many OG examples..

Actually we are assuming in all the choices--

You are assuming that the accidents are due to it. May be the drivers are more cautious on these turns etc..

If we think those extra driver in B are not reponsible for accidents, how can we assume that these drivers coming from M'view

Why do we assume here that people do not use ice chains or anti skids during that time OR the ICE is responsible for the accidents..

We can ofcourse connect two items logically, because in weakening/strengthening, we require to assume something..
Director
Director
Send PM
In D, since there are few police officers in Oak, this can lead to greater no of accidents and not the mentioned cause in the qs stem. Correct? Also, I never said we can't make assumptions-I just said assumption made in B seems to be a little too much
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31946 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
KS15 wrote:
In D, since there are few police officers in Oak, this can lead to greater no of accidents and not the mentioned cause in the qs stem. Correct? Also, I never said we can't make assumptions-I just said assumption made in B seems to be a little too much

hi KS15,

As we both agree that there are a bit of logical assumption, it is how we use these to analyze the choices..
B and C are following the same logic, so either both are correct or both are wrong or its possible the Q is flawed..

For D, your line of thinking is
In D, since there are few police officers in Oak, this can lead to greater no of accidents and not the mentioned cause in the qs stem...

My Q would be ' How can these lesser number of police monitoring result in more accidents?'
It is due to more people xg speed or driving rashly in absence of police around
So in a way it is strengthening the conclusion..

Had the argument been about deaths in two locations and putting it on accidents due to excess speed ..
This choice would have worked well if it said there are less police..
Since now we could blame normal LAW and order fo rteh excesses death..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
carcass wrote:

Source = Princeton Review

I chose D for all the same reasons as stated previously...I tried to not think to deeply into this question. I looked for the answer that does not weaken at all....even if one weakens to a lesser degree than another, is still weakens. When I saw "exceed the speed limit" I thought about breaking the law (word association I guess)...then "D" stuck out because it mentioned that fewer police officers are monitoring traffic in Oak Valley vs Mountainview. When police officers are in full effect and out in numbers, speeding may occur but the driver will more than likely be pulled over, causing other passers-by to slow down as well. I do not think that D weakens at all, hence why I chose that. I was tempted by "B" for sure but just having a greater number of drivers would not necessarily mean that a greater proportion will regularly speed, causing more accidents. The greater number of drivers would weaken because accidents could be caused by traffic congestion rather than excessive speeding, etc.

I do not see this specific type often and it did not appear on my first official GMAT attempt either. But I am going to remind myself that if "all weaken the conclusion EXCEPT" I will remember to find the answer that does not weaken at all...if it one is a less "weakening" choice than another, it still weakens, just to a lesser degree.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
In comparison to the drivers who live in Mountainview, a greater pro [#permalink]
carcass wrote:

Doesn't look like a water tight case .
let me play the devils advocate and show how D could be a weakener and B could NOT be a weakener and be a potential answer

D) Per capita, there are fewer police officers monitoring traffic in Oak Valley than there are in Mountainview: This could also mean that the drivers are not bad but rather the traffic conditions are so bad that in spite of the drivers best efforts , there are more accidents.
Just like icy roads, Blind intersections we could also have bad traffic conditions due to few traffic police as an alternate reason for more accidents. More accidents not necessarily due to Drivers fault.

B)There is a greater number of drivers in Oak Valley than in Mountainview.
If there are more drivers does not mean they are all driving. There could be many drivers who just hold licenses but are not really on the road. Hence this doesn't weaken.
Another point : Just because there are more drivers does that justify the huge number of accidents? Can't all those drivers in Oak valley be exceptionally good drivers ? If this is the case then option B does not provide an alternate reason for the accidents and does NOT weaken the argument.
Further more drivers could mean that more drivers could actually be speeding and speeding could actually be the reason for the huge number of accidents. If this is the case then option B could actually strengthen the argument .
hence option B could be a NON weakener and could in fact strengthen.
hence option B could be the answer too.

Overall this question could have been better.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619156 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

D

Answer D may explain why people are more likely to exceed the speed limit in Oak Valley than in Mountainview, but it has no necessary correlation to the number of accidents in the two towns; therefore, it does nothing to weaken the conclusion that the greater proportion of speeders in Oak Valley results in a greater number of accidents there. Answers A and E provide an alternate explanation: Driving conditions are poor, which certainly could contribute to accidents. Choice B indicates that there is much more traffic in Oak Valley, which could well explain why there are more traffic accidents there. Choice C states that many Mountainview residents travel to Oak Valley regularly; it is possible, then, that they, not the drivers who live in Oak Valley, cause the accidents.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts