Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 16:41 It is currently 09 May 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2982 [152]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51492 [42]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [30]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Immanuel Kant's writings, while praised by many philosophers [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
avohden wrote:
Immanuel Kant's writings, while praised by many philosophers for their brilliance and consistency, are characterized by sentences so dense and convoluted as to pose a significant hurdle for many readers interested in his works.

A. so dense and convoluted as to pose

B. so dense and convoluted they posed

C. so dense and convoluted that they posed

D. dense and convoluted enough that they posed

E. dense and convoluted enough as they pose

Concepts tested here: Idioms + Tenses

• “enough + to” is a correct, idiomatic usage; besides, “enough” is used to show “adequacy” and generally not used to show a cause-effect relationship; rather, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship.
• Information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the idiomatic construction "so + cause + as to + effect" to refer to the cause-effect relationship between the sentences being dense and convoluted and the sentences being a significant hurdle for many readers interested in Kant's works. Further, Option A avoids the errors related to the use of "enough" seen in Options D and E, as it does not use "enough". Additionally, Option A correctly uses the simple present tense verb "pose" to refer to information that is permanent in nature.

B: This answer choice fails to maintain the idiomatic construction "so A ("dense and convoluted") that B ("they posed a significant hurdle...)", as it omits "that"; remember, “so A that B” is a correct, idiomatic usage that describes cause (A) and effect (B). Further, Option B incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "posed" to refer to information that is permanent in nature; remember, information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "posed" to refer to information that is permanent in nature; remember, information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses "enough" to refer to the cause-effect relationship between the sentences being dense and convoluted and the sentences being a significant hurdle for many readers interested in Kant's works; remember, “enough” is used to show “adequacy” and generally not used to show a cause-effect relationship; rather, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "enough that"; remember, "enough + to" is the correct idiomatic construction. Additionally, Option D incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "posed" to refer to information that is permanent in nature; remember, information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses "enough" to refer to the cause-effect relationship between the sentences being dense and convoluted and the sentences being a significant hurdle for many readers interested in Kant's works; remember, “enough” is used to show “adequacy” and generally not used to show a cause-effect relationship; rather, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship. Further, Option E incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "enough as"; remember, "enough + to" is the correct idiomatic construction.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the use of "So As To" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [4]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
avohden wrote:
Immanuel Kant's writings, while praised by many philosophers for their brilliance and consistency, are characterized by sentences so dense and convoluted as to pose a significant hurdle for many readers interested in his works.

A. so dense and convoluted as to pose

B. so dense and convoluted they posed

D. dense and convoluted enough that they posed

E. dense and convoluted enough as they pose

oe to follow

Good question

Firstly the writings are still there and so they still "pose" problems for readers.... yes , "posed" is wrong... so down to (a) and (e) .. ( a) is clear and concise....

P.s (c) looks tempting enough but can be easily eliminated on the basis of tenses.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2758 [9]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Immanuel Kant's writings are characterized by sentences so dense and convoluted as to pose[/u] a significant hurdle for many readers interested in his works.

Meaning: Kant's writings contain complex sentences and these sentences are so complex that readers face problems to understand them.

This sentence is presented as a general fact or statement.

A. so dense and convoluted as to pose.............answer

B. so dense and convoluted they posed..........they don't pose only in past they can be difficult even now. Changes the intended meaning.

C. so dense and convoluted that they posed..............so that indicates purpose.
There is no purpose here i.e., neither difficulty is intentionally induced nor hurdles for reader are intentional.
posed repeats here.

D. dense and convoluted enough that they posed.........enough error is introduced here.
posed issue repeats here.

E. dense and convoluted enough as they pose...............changes the intended meaning as if they become complex when they pose hurdles for reader.

There are few aspects to be noted here.
1. here convoluted is an adjective not a verb in past tense.
Meaning of convoluted as per Oxford dictionary is as below.

Quote:
convoluted....adjective

1(Especially of an argument, story, or sentence) extremely complex and difficult to follow:
the film is let down by a convoluted plot in which nothing really happens
When Douglas's character smells a rat, the convoluted thriller plot is set in motion.

convolute..........verb
The data was therefore convoluted with a profile that mimics the image of a microtubule to filter out the vertical coordinate.
Sula challenges us to reconsider how histories of tops and bottoms within American social structures become convoluted into the ironic hierarchies and differences in African American society.

So here dense and convoluted both define the complex nature of sentences.

2.Why option A is correct.

"So X as to Y" means something is SO (big, strong, slow, whatever, but something kind of extreme) that it actually causes something else to happen - something that wouldn't ordinarily happen.

so here the sentences are so difficult that their difficulty resulted in becoming hurdle for readers.

3. For those who feel D or E can be right. This info from Mgmat forum helps.

1. The temperature outside was cold enough to cause frostbite.
2. The temperature outside was so cold as to cause frostbite.
There is a subtle distinction between the idiom "so x as to y" and "x is enough to y."

The original sentence uses the idiom "so x as to y" to indicate that characteristic x is so extreme in the particular case that y results.

In contrast, the idiom "x is enough to y" is used when x is the criteria by which an ability to achieve y is measured.
Thus, if a sentence stated that "The temperature outside was cold enough to cause frostbite." this would convey a different meaning: that the temperature is the criteria by which one measures the ability to cause frostbite."

For one thing, "X enough to Y" has a little more of a connotation of intention -- for example, "I ate enough to win the eating contest" is preferable to "I ate so much as to win the eating contest."

In the former case, I intended to win the contest, and I ate enough to ensure that. In the latter case, I could have simply been on an eating binge, and by accident I wound up winning the contest.

However, in the case, the difference isn't one of intention. In the first case, "The temperature was cold enough to cause frostbite," I'm emphasizing the outcome -- in a way, I'm defining two temperature ranges, one that causes frostbite and one that doesn't, and I'm saying, we're in the former.

But if I say "The temperature was so cold as to cause frostbite," in a sense I'm just tossing out the fact that frostbite would be caused in this case, but I'm not defining a threshold as I am with the "cold enough to cause frostbite."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
Send PM
In Option C, can "they" be used to refer to sentences ??
Or "they" is only used to refer people??
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32372 [1]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
282552 wrote:

Hi,
THEY can refer to both person and objects..
Even sentences can be referred by they..
example..
who wrote those sentences?
they were written by Mr X..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:
282552 wrote:

Hi,
example..

Well I don't know whether I am right or not but for me is clear that "they" don't have a clear antecedent, so straightforward to A.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15284 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anonimo wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
282552 wrote:

Hi,
example..

Well I don't know whether I am right or not but for me is clear that "they" don't have a clear antecedent, so straightforward to A.

Yes, the pronoun they is definitely ambiguous.

In fact because it is subject of a clause (they pose significant hurdle), it actually refers to writings, subject of another clause (writings are characterized), by virtue of parallelism. (GMAT allows such reference if there are more than two possible antecedents). Nonetheless they should actually refer to sentences, not writings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi chetan2u / daagh / mikemcgarry ,

Can you please suggest me when these constructions with examples.
1. So...as...
2. So...that...

A. so dense and convoluted as to pose.

Whats wrong with option C.
I hope we use so..that construction to show intensity but when it comes to choose between these two, I am totally clueless.
I face a lot of trouble in choosing between these construction.

If there is any rule so that I can learn it better, then it would be the best option for me.

Please help in this
Will be waiting for your response.
Thanks
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32372 [2]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi chetan2u / daagh / mikemcgarry ,

Can you please suggest me when these constructions with examples.
1. So...as...
2. So...that...

A. so dense and convoluted as to pose.

Whats wrong with option C.
I hope we use so..that construction to show intensity but when it comes to choose between these two, I am totally clueless.
I face a lot of trouble in choosing between these construction.

If there is any rule so that I can learn it better, then it would be the best option for me.

Please help in this
Will be waiting for your response.
Thanks

hi,
the difference is not so much on so..that.. and so..as to ..
but what THEY refers too..
they here refers to the writings, while the original by removing PRONOUN talks of the "sentence"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42109 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Immanuel Kant’s writings, while praised by many philosophers for their [#permalink]