Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [104]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [13]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [8]

Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [2]

Send PM
Re: In 1994, a team of scientists led by David McKay began studying the me [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Passage breakdown

In the first paragraph (P1), the author presents a claim made by a team of scientists

• McKay's team claims that a certain meteorite shows that life once existed on Mars.
  • They believe that the presence of organic matter in the meteorite supports this claim.

In the second paragraph, the author presents two arguments against McKay's conclusion, and McKay's response to those arguments.

• Skeptics worry about terrestrial contamination, and also assert that the matter in the meteorite might not have come from organic life.
  • The author presents McKay's response to these arguments.

For more on this process, check out this article and our live RC videos.

Explanations for individual questions

General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [6]
Send PM
Re: In 1994, a team of scientists led by David McKay began studying the me [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
OE #1 : Only option E correctly states that a controversy is described

OE #2 :The passage states scientist generally agree hence it is not a disputed matter.

OE #3 : This is a 'Supporting Ideas' questions. Lines 4-5 in second paragraph point to C

OE #4 : Answering 'Application' question involves applying information contained in the passage to a situation that is not described in the passage. The passage also indicates that if terrestrial contamination occurred with ALH84001, then, contrary to the findings of McKay’s team that showed PAH concentration increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001 (lines 21–22), the PAHs would be expected to be concentrated more toward the outer parts, or surface, of ALH84001

OE #5 : 'Evaluation' questions require understanding how a part of the passage functions within the passage as a whole. The final sentence of the first paragraph indicates that one source of PAHs is the decay of dead microbes.

OE #6: It is an inference question McKay’s team notes in { lines 29–34 }that the PAH combinations produced by organic processes can be distinguished from those produced by non organic processes
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Went;
E,B,C,E,B,D miss read which sentence it was.

Hi Valerun,
Pls. rephrase and post your entire question so that someone can answer it correctly.

From what I gather, you got the 5th RC question wrong and would like to know which sentence points to the correct option ( A)
As mentioned in the OE --It is the last sentence of the first paragraph "When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs."
Hope this answers your question

prasannajeet wrote:
1-e,2.-d,3-d,4-e,5-a,6-e
took 15 min
after revealing the answer gotta know that out of 6 i got 3 right.

want explanation for 2,3,6 , and how much time ideally we must target to finish.
Rgds
Prasannajeet

Hi Prasannajeet,
Have you read the given OE for 2,3,6?
Even after reading the OE if you have any specific doubts then do post them.

Time depends on your technique (skimming and re-reading for details OR reading once with details)
for short RC passage (only reading) on an average should take anywhere from 1-1.30 mins
Thereafter answering question around a 45 secs to 1.15 min per question (this will vary depending the question length,type,and difficulty)

Please go through the the link for RC strategy
all-rc-strategy-official-q-by-experts-legendary-club-members-145027.html

HTH
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
prasannajeet wrote:
want explanation for 2,3,6

2: The passage says: "ALH84001, which scientists generally agree originated on Mars, contained compelling evidence that life once existed on Mars".

So, it looks the claim that ALH84001 originated on Mars, is not a matter of widespread scientific dispute. So, B is correct.

3: ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years, suggesting to some scientists that its PAHs might have resulted from terrestrial contamination.

Hence, C is correct because it says that ALH84001 may not have contained PAHs when it landed on Earth. Perhaps B comes close, but it says that ALH84001 contains PAHs that "are" the result of nonbiological processes. So, the presence of the definitive "are" tilts the balance against B.

6: Last sentence of the passage says: Particular combination of PAHs in ALH84001 is more similar to the combinations produced by decaying organisms than to those originating from non biological processes. Hence, D seems to be correct, because it is stating the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Experts,

6. The passage suggests that McKay’s team would agree with which of the following regarding the PAHs produced by non organic processes?

(A) These PAHs are not likely to be found in any meteorite that has been on Earth for 13,000 years or more.
(B) These PAHs are not likely to be found in any meteorite that originated from Mars.
(C) These PAHs are not likely to be produced by star formation.
(D) These PAHs are likely to be found in combinations that distinguish them from the PAHs produced by organic processes.
(E) These PAHs are likely to be found in fewer meteorites than the PAHs produced by organic processes.

Can you explain the answer for this question?

Quote:
The skeptics’ strongest argument, however, is that processes unrelated to organic life can easily produce all the evidence found by McKay’s team, including PAHs. For example, star formation produces PAHs. Moreover, PAHs frequently appear in other meteorites, and no one attributes their presence to life processes

How can be infer option D from the above lines?

Hi pikolo2510,

Let me try to answer your question. I am pasting the portion of the passage which is relevant to answer this question.

The skeptics’ strongest argument, however, is that processes unrelated to organic life can easily produce all the evidence found by McKay’s team, including PAHs. For example, star formation produces PAHs. Moreover, PAHs frequently appear in other meteorites, and no one attributes their presence to life processes. Yet McKay’s team notes that the particular combination of PAHs in ALH84001 is more similar to the combinations produced by decaying organisms than to those originating from non biological processes.

Now coming to the Q:6,
6. The passage suggests that McKay’s team would agree with which of the following regarding the PAHs produced by non organic processes?

Although non organic / non biological processes can produce PAHs the combination PAHs originating from non biological processes is different, as McKay’s team notes that the particular combination of PAHs in ALH84001 is more similar to the combinations produced by decaying organisms than to those originating from non biological processes.

This is what that option D says. D. These PAHs (the PAHs produced by non organic processes) are likely to be found in combinations that distinguish them from the PAHs produced by organic processes.

Hope it clears your doubts. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
-Varun
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
thingocanhnguyen wrote:
Hi all,

Any one can help me explain the answer of question 4. My answer is B, not E (OA). What is wrong in B? Why is E correct?

Quote:
4. The passage suggests that if a meteorite contained PAHs that were the result of terrestrial contamination, then one would expect which of the following to be true?

(A) The meteorite would have been on Earth for more than 13,000 years.
(B) The meteorite would have originated from a source other than Mars.
(C) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would have originated from nonbiological processes.
(D) The meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain.
(E) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would be concentrated toward the meteorite’s surface.

Refer to the following sentence: "McKay’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." The word "contrary" suggests that we would expect the opposite to be true if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination. In other words, if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. This matches choice (E).

This makes intuitive sense--imagine a huge ball of rock that lands on Earth with no PAHs. If the rock then becomes contaminated with PAHs while sitting on Earth for thousands of years, we would expect the contamination to affect the surface and then perhaps gradually seep in towards the center.

As for choice (B), if a meteorite contains PAHs that were a result of terrestrial contamination, then we would know nothing of its origin. Maybe it came from Mars, maybe it came from anywhere else in the galaxy. All we would know is that those terrestrial PAHs should not be viewed as evidence of LIFE wherever the meteorite came from. For example, if scientists could PROVE that the PAHs in ALH84001 were a result of terrestrial contamination, this would not change the generally accepted fact that ALH84001 came from Mars. It would simply mean that the PAHs are not evidence of life on Mars.

RMD007 wrote:
Can anyone explain me Question - 5.
Quote:
5. Which of the following best describes the function of the last sentence of the first paragraph?

(A) It identifies a possible organic source for the PAHs found in ALH84001.
(B) It describes a feature of PAHs that is not shared by other types of organic molecules.
(C) It explains how a characteristic common to most meteorites originates.
(D) It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.
(E) It presents evidence that undermines the claim that life once existed on Mars.

I was confused between option A and option B.

The last sentence of the first paragraph is: "When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs." (a microbe is a microorganism).

So if you have microorganisms (i.e. bacteria) that die and decay, you'll often be left with PAHs. The presence of PAHs could be viewed as evidence that life may have existed. Thus, this sentence identifies a possible organic source (e.g. microbes) for the PAHs found in the ALH84001, as stated in choice (A).

As for choice (B), the sentence does not describe a FEATURE of PAHs or how PAHs differ from other types of organic molecules.

I hope that helps!

Hello GMATNinja

i Refered to the following sentence: "McKa y’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." and chose D :-)

if concentration increases than it is from MARS, if contrary ---> if concentration decreasses, that means tha meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain ? no :? i was sure about my answer :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [6]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja

i Refered to the following sentence: "McKa y’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." and chose D :-)

if concentration increases than it is from MARS, if contrary ---> if concentration decreasses, that means tha meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain ? no :? i was sure about my answer :)

First of all, we do not know that it is from Mars just because concentration of PAHs increases with depth. If the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. However, just because this is NOT the case does not necessarily mean the meteorite is from Mars.

Also, how the concentration varies with depth does not tell us anything about the TOTAL amount of PAHs in the meteorite. For example, imagine one meteorite with PAHs from terrestrial contamination and, thus, a higher concentration of PAHs toward the surface. Another meteorite could have PAHs from organic molecules and a higher concentration towards the center. However, the TOTAL number of PAHs in the second meteorite could be less than, equal to, or greater than the total number of PAHs in the first meteorite.

Again, how the concentration varies with depth doesn't tell us anything about the TOTAL number of PAHs. The first meteorite (terrestrial contamination) might have MORE total PAHs than the second (PAHs formed from organic life). Based on the information in the passage, we have no idea whether (D) would be true.

I hope that helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [5]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
P1 - a rock found - Martian - organic + PAH
P2 - 2 opposition argument of P1 - evidence to break them.
main point - a theory is given and a debate an a topic is going on.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to:

(A) describe new ways of studying the possibility that life once existed on Mars - no
(B) revise a theory regarding the existence of life on Mars in light of new evidence - no; this one is little part of the passage.
(C) reconcile conflicting viewpoints regarding the possibility that life once existed on Mars - in part it is true, but those viewpoints were broken later that is not covered.
(D) evaluate a recently proposed argument concerning the origin of ALH84001 - very weak; also not evaluate of this argument.
(E) describe a controversy concerning the significance of evidence from ALH84001 - best of the lot.
-----------------------------------------

2. The passage asserts which of the following about the claim that ALH84001 originated on Mars?
multiple claims made in both p1 and p2.

(A) It was initially proposed by the McKay team of scientists. - no; it was known prior to that.
(B) It is not a matter of widespread scientific dispute. - yes; all accepted that it was from mars. no dispute there.
(C) It has been questioned by some skeptics of the McKay team’s work. - no one did that.
(D) It has been undermined by recent work on PAHs. - no.
(E) It is incompatible with the fact that ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years. - no.

-----------------------------------------
3. The passage suggests that the fact that ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years has been used by some scientists to support which of the following claims about ALH84001?
PT - That this rock must have contaminated by now.

(A) ALH84001 may not have originated on Mars. - no
(B) ALH84001 contains PAHs that are the result of nonbiological processes. - no
(C) ALH84001 may not have contained PAHs when it landed on Earth. - yes; should be best of the lot.
(D) The organic molecules found in ALH84001 are not PAHs. - no
(E) The organic molecules found in ALH84001 could not be the result of terrestrial contamination. - yes; but 13000 yes has nothing to do with this fact.

------------------------------------------

4. The passage suggests that if a meteorite contained PAHs that were the result of terrestrial contamination, then one would expect which of the following to be true?
PT - from top to inside, contamination should decrease.

(E) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would be concentrated toward the meteorite’s surface. - yes

-------------------------------------------

5. Which of the following best describes the function of the last sentence of the first paragraph?
last sentence - The organic molecules found in ALH84001 are poly cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or PAHs. When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs.

(A) It identifies a possible organic source for the PAHs found in ALH84001. - yes

-------------------------------------------

Yet McKay’s team notes that the particular combination of PAHs in ALH84001 is more similar to the combinations produced by decaying organisms than to those originating from non biological processes.

(D) These PAHs are likely to be found in combinations that distinguish them from the PAHs produced by organic processes. - yes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
AjiteshArun
I have doubt in Q1 though I marked it correct
I didn't understand the meaning of option C
I googled the meaning of reconcile it is to make friendly relation but what actually the sentence is trying to mean can you please brief ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos