Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a shock to those who still lived under the impression

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 529

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
In a shock to those who still lived under the impression [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 01:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

81% (02:16) correct 19% (01:57) wrong based on 16 sessions
In a shock to those who still lived under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole for enabling a scammer to gain access to transactions made by a leading investment bank so that this person will be aware of any major deals that a corporation had made before these deals are announced to the public

(A) who still lived under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole for enabling a scammer to gain access to transactions made by a leading investment bank so that this person will be aware of any major deals that a corporation had made

(B) who had still been living under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole for enabling a scammer to gain access to transactions made by a leading investment bank so that this person was aware of any major deals that a corporation might have made

(C) who still were living under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole enabling a scammer to gain access to transactions made by a leading investment bank so that this person will be aware of any major deals that a corporation had made

(D) still living under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole that enables a scammer to gain access to transactions made by leading investment banks so that this person is aware of any major deals that a corporation might make

(E) still living under the impression that investments had been closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole that will enable a scammer to gain access to transactions made by leading investment banks so that this person was aware of any major deals that a corporation might make
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: financial security group [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 02:16
The answer is D :

1) "still living" is the correct tense indicating the ongoing state of mind.
2) "enables to" is the correct idiom.
3) corporation might make - correct tense indicating possibility

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 109

Re: financial security group [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 06:00
+ 1 D

for enabling is awkward: A and B out.
"had made" is not necessary; there are not a later event in the past. A and C out.
We are talking about a current situation; "was aware" is wrong. E is out.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: financial security group [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 06:32
D for me

A and B - Past tenses
C - "who still were living" and "will be aware" are not needed
E - was aware is not correct

D - reflects more current tense and something ongoing

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: financial security group [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 08:17
Good question this!

My strategy -- since this was a long sentence..

1) 4-1 split on Investments ARE closely vs. Investments HAD BEEN closely....*No need for past perfect tense -- so Eliminate E

2) Looked for splits at the end of the sentence but nothing really stood out...so attacked the phrase "loopholes that / for / to enable (s) / enabling"

3) Loophole FOR enabling is incorrect -- so A and B eliminated

4) Between C and D ---> "those who still were" vs "those still" --- "those still" more concise -- C almost eliminated

5) The infinitive "to enable" better than the participle "enabling"

6) Deals had made vs. Deals might make --- C eliminated

7) D is logical and verb tenses are consistent.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 34

Re: financial security group [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 12:55
In a shock to those who still lived under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole for enabling a scammer to gain access to transactions made by a leading investment bank so that this person will be aware of any major deals that a corporation had made before these deals are announced to the public

(A) who still lived under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole for enabling a scammer to gain access to transactions made by a leading investment bank so that this person will be aware of any major deals that a corporation had made

(B) who had still been living under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole for enabling a scammer to gain access to transactions made by a leading investment bank so that this person was aware of any major deals that a corporation might have made

(C) who still were living under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole enabling a scammer to gain access to transactions made by a leading investment bank so that this person will be aware of any major deals that a corporation had made

(D) still living under the impression that investments are closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole that enables a scammer to gain access to transactions made by leading investment banks so that this person is aware of any major deals that a corporation might make

(E) still living under the impression that investments had been closely monitored, a financial security group recently discovered a loophole that will enable a scammer to gain access to transactions made by leading investment banks so that this person was aware of any major deals that a corporation might make

I started ruled out E becasue of usage of "had been", then ruled out A and B for unidomatic "for enabling" and C because missing pronoun for loophole.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Re: financial security group   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2011, 12:55