Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 897 [24]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4563 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [2]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1822 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Re: In Berinia, the age at which people could begin to drink alcohol legal [#permalink]
Paradox:
There has been a decreased in traffic deaths.
Yet, the alcohol consumption of those under 21 was the same as before the new regulation.

A: For the population as a whole, annual alcohol consumption is no lower now than it was in 1990
If consumption before and now is the same, how do we resolve the traffic-death decline? We are left in the dark here. OUT!

B: Alcohol consumption away from home, for example in bar and restaurants, is much lower among people under 21
than it was in 1990.
Most of the alcohol drinking is not away from home (or in bars)... Less drink and drive... This explains the paradox. BINGO!

C: The proportion of people under 21 who own a car is higher now than it was in 1990.
Okay? But why did the traffic-death decline after the new regulation. We are left in the dark here. OUT!

D: Alcohol consumption is lower among people under 21 than among adults in mist other age -groups
Still doesn't resolve the paradox.

E: Alcohol-related traffic deaths among people over 21 have increased slightly since 1990.
Still doesn't resolve the paradox about traffic-death decline vs. same alcohol consumption

The answer is B. Even if the alcohol consumption was the same, the traffic death decline was realized because of less drink and drive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: In Berinia, the age at which people could begin to drink alcohol legal [#permalink]
Kudos
I feel this is the best answer available. How do we connect the dots here??
argument says- people under the age of 21 drink as much as they did before
Accidents related deaths among 21 age group reduced.
how does alcohol drinking away from home reduce the traffic deaths? Why should we assume or think that they drive back home after drinking?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
dear experts, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, eakabuah, nightblade354
I need your help.
I crossed off B because I though the legal drinking age was 21. so I though those who are under 21 are not allowed drink. it does not matter where are allowed or where are not allowed.

please explain further.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
zoezhuyan wrote:
I need your help.
I crossed off B because I though the legal drinking age was 21. so I though those who are under 21 are not allowed drink. it does not matter where are allowed or where are not allowed.

please explain further.

Hi Zoe

Let me try to address your query.

The point you have raised has been addressed in the last sentence of the stimulus, which states:

...surveys show that people in that age-group drink just as much alcohol as they did before 1990.

Therefore, the amount of alcohol consumption (per capita) in that age group has not reduced despite the increase of age limit. This means that, despite the illegality of doing so, people under the age of 21 continue to consume alcohol. Now, we need to resolve the paradox that despite such continuing consumption of alcohol, the number of accidents in that age group has come down. Option (B) provides a possible explanation - if people under 21 continue to consume alcohol at the same rate, but are now increasingly doing so at home, then driving under the influence would likely reduce significantly, explaining the reduction in number of accidents.

Hope this clarifies.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
I need your help.

please explain further.

The legal drinking age in Berinia is 21 BUT the passage tells us that "people in that age-group [the under-21s] drink just as much alcohol as they did before 1990." So, the young people of Berinia are not obeying this rule very well. They might be breaking the law now, but they're definitely still drinking.

Let's look at the passage before taking another look at (B). We're asked to find the answer choice that best resolves the following discrepancy:

Alcohol-related traffic deaths among people under 21 have decreased significantly since 1990

BUT

surveys show that people in that age-group drink just as much alcohol as they did before 1990

Now, (B) tells us:
Quote:
B. Alcohol consumption away from home, for example in bars and restaurants, is much lower among people under 21 than it was in 1990.

We're told alcohol consumption away from home is much lower among people under 21 than it was in 1990, but the passage tells us that people under 21 drink just as much alcohol as they did before 1990.

This means they must be drinking at home. If they're drinking at home, it's likely they don't have to travel around much after they've been drinking -- for example, they don't have to get home again from a bar or a restaurant.

Because the under-21s spending less time in a car after drinking, it's likely alcohol-related traffic deaths will be reduced. However, because they're drinking at home, we can still explain why the surveys still show that the under-21s are drinking just as much alcohol as they did before 1990.

(B) helps resolve the discrepancy in the passage, so (B) is the answer to this question.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
hello experts,
How can anyone expect that people might be driving less just because they are drinking less outside home.
although I chose it, It just didn't strike.
Maybe be there is a rule that drink and drive is so illegal that people can be imprisoned for lifetime. So, they come with a non-alcoholic friend, who drives them home.

All I'm saying is sometimes, even in easy question, it just doesn't strike, which eats up precious time.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dinesh654 wrote:
How can anyone expect that people might be driving less just because they are drinking less outside home.

Patrons of bars and restaurants have to get back home somehow! And some significant fraction of them will get back home by driving themselves.[/quote]

Quote:
Maybe be there is a rule that drink and drive is so illegal that people can be imprisoned for lifetime.

STOP if your reasoning includes "maybe", "might", "could", etc. At that point, you no longer have a basis on which to argue.

Quote:
So, they come with a non-alcoholic friend, who drives them home.

But surely you're not trying to say that this will happen 100% of the time! Some significant fraction of drinkers will still drive themselves home. That fraction of people can account for the finding described in the passage.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dinesh654 wrote:
hello experts,
although I chose it, It just didn't strike.
Maybe be there is a rule that drink and drive is so illegal that people can be imprisoned for lifetime. So, they come with a non-alcoholic friend, who drives them home.

All I'm saying is sometimes, even in easy question, it just doesn't strike, which eats up precious time.

Keep in mind that the question asks "Which of the following, if true of Berinia, most helps to resolve the apparent discrepancy?" and not "Which of the following, if true of Berinia, DEFINITELY resolves the apparent discrepancy?".

Can we come up with scenarios in which (B) would fail to resolve the discrepancy? Sure. But (B) gives us a very reasonable explanation for the apparent discrepancy described in the passage, and none of the other choices do the same. (B) is the choice that most helps to resolve the discrepancy, so it's the best answer.

More broadly, if your interpretation of a question isn't 100% precise, then you're going to have a much harder time getting through that question. In this case, processing that subtle distinction in this question might have helped you get through it a bit more quickly.

I hope that helps a bit!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts