Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Waitlist - September 2012 intake [#permalink]
inseadspirant2012 wrote:
Gonna be very interesting. Do you have any thoughts on what would qualify as an "update in your situation", I am wondering whether or not to attempt another take a GMAT (I got 680/q44/v38 - my quantitative score is below the 75% recommended for INSEAD)....?

acax wrote:
needed.

I have read that the deposit deadline for r1 admitted is january 20th and that something may happen right after

Actually i'm in ur same situation with regard to quantitative section, but i assume that if it had been solely a gmat problem you wouldn't have been interviewed in the first place.

That said, if you feel you can improve your score without too much hussle (and you don't mind the 200€ for doing it again) you should do it and avoid possible regrets later.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
I'm in waitlist hell. Waitlisted at both LBS and INSEAD but with an offer from Oxford.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi enkie,

That's not a good place to be - but likewise you're in the waitlist for two top schools and an offer from another, so obviously you're a good candidate!

I've been browsing alot of forums since I got the notification, there is definitely alot of movement in the waitlist at given times (and it has also been mentioned that the september intake usually has more admits from WL, considering it aligns with US schools - and some people withdraw from INSEAD), and as was quoted earlier January 20th will probably be the next milestone where we might get some movement. Hope others will also join this forum, this will definitely be torment for some time for me at least it helps to share my mind with others!

enkie wrote:
I'm in waitlist hell. Waitlisted at both LBS and INSEAD but with an offer from Oxford.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you inseadspirant2012. That's very nice of you and encouraging. Did you apply to other schools too?

I think my biggest dilemma is that Oxford requires nonrefundable deposit by Jan 20 (and not a trivial amount, around 5600 pounds, or something like $8800 US dollars). Yikes! Will have to talk it over with friends and family and think about what I will do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Waitlisted too. And I found myself completely ignorant about the waitlisting issue.

I am from Turkey (perhaps 1% of the intake), working in non-profit (rarest background) and my specialization is logistics (around %1 again according to some document I read somewhere in the website).

I am having an hard time to believe that the waislist is used to manage diversity. Does it mean that they found just one person from a similar background with a better profile and I am waiting him to decline the offer? Will it help me if any of the Turkish guys rejects? Or any of the non-profiters? I doubt that anyone from those groups will anyway.

What if, all my "better matches" accept but in following rounds no one with a similar profile applies? Will our files be considered at or after the second round? Any ideas?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
brahms00, it may be that they have a few Turkish candidates (who are not in nonprofit) and a few nonprofit candidates (who are not turkish). Sometimes, it's not your specific combination -- sometimes they will split out the characteristics. Dont feel discouraged. While WL is not a yes, it is not a no either. I remember once reading over the admissions director's chat for Wharton, and he had said that every year 60 - 80% of the Wharton rejects are absolutely admissible, so it really comes down to balancing the class profile a lot of the times.

Did you apply to other schools? I think it's always very risky to put all eggs into one basket, so you may want to also explore alternative options while waiting for an answer from INSEAD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi all !
I’m in the same boat, waitlisted. I’m willing to wait until end of January after the first deposit on the 1/20 and then if I have no news I will consider it’s over (at 99.8%)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
enkie wrote:
Did you apply to other schools? I think it's always very risky to put all eggs into one basket, so you may want to also explore alternative options while waiting for an answer from INSEAD.

Thank you. I was hoping to end this here but now I will apply LBS (as most INSEAD aspirants), and perhaps somewhere in US too.
I wish you luck in INSEAD and LBS.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No problem enkie, gotta hang in together!

Unfortunately I did not apply to other schools, and am now wondering what to do..other target schools may be LBS, IMD, Judge, and Said (where you have an offer :)) But the deadlines are fast approaching and I think I will have to wait for the March/April deadlines to put together a great application (perhaps retake the GMAT, not the strongest part of my application). That will also give INSEAD some time to give me an update (maybe it will be clearer by then if I have a realistic chance...)

I do see you're dilemma...I would perhaps try to, informally, notify LBS and INSEAD about your situation. I read an interview with someone from INSEAD (unfortunatly I cannot post links since I am relatively new to the forum, but google INSEAD waitlist and see a link from accepted . com) where they advised that WL'ers with a concrete offers from other schools were advised to notify their admission co-ordinators...consider your situation I think you have nothing to lose, but something to gain....

My biggest dilemma now, is what to do next in terms of INSEAD or do nothing? Do I re-take the GMAT, visit the school etc. and does it all help? I also recently got notified that my company is willing to sponsor my MBA, any chance that will help my application (financing already in order)? I don't want to be pushy/pesky but I don't wanna be passive either...so gonna have to think it over abit....

enkie wrote:
Thank you inseadspirant2012. That's very nice of you and encouraging. Did you apply to other schools too?

I think my biggest dilemma is that Oxford requires nonrefundable deposit by Jan 20 (and not a trivial amount, around 5600 pounds, or something like $8800 US dollars). Yikes! Will have to talk it over with friends and family and think about what I will do.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree with enkie, I also think its not the combination but the breakdown of you're particular characteristics that make up the final class. Personally I am a Norwegian (with parents from Pakistan, unusual I guess in the applicant pool), but with a consulting background (more usual).

We'll just have to keep some patience and shang in there.

enkie wrote:
brahms00, it may be that they have a few Turkish candidates (who are not in nonprofit) and a few nonprofit candidates (who are not turkish). Sometimes, it's not your specific combination -- sometimes they will split out the characteristics. Dont feel discouraged. While WL is not a yes, it is not a no either. I remember once reading over the admissions director's chat for Wharton, and he had said that every year 60 - 80% of the Wharton rejects are absolutely admissible, so it really comes down to balancing the class profile a lot of the times.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi chouky,

Sorry to hear you also get wailisted.

I personally wouldn't totally give up right after January 20th. From other INSEAD waitlist forums, it seems there is activity after R2 decisions, R3 decisions, and right up-to the final month before the programme starts (so I think you're 99.8% figure is well exaggerated - from the forum activity I've seen i would say more like 40-50% - but then again the figure is variable as INSEAD says pending on the yield and other factors). Let's hope for an early response.....

chouky wrote:
Hi all !
I’m in the same boat, waitlisted. I’m willing to wait until end of January after the first deposit on the 1/20 and then if I have no news I will consider it’s over (at 99.8%)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
guys did u also get the waitlist email from an insead's email address different from the one in the signature?

that was weird! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yup :) My co-ordinator sent the email, were as the admission director's signature was in the email....

acax wrote:
guys did u also get the waitlist email from an insead's email address different from the one in the signature?

that was weird! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Inseadspirant, thanks for the tip. Thats amazingly helpful as i read elsewhere that sometimes mentioning other offers backfire (but since this came from insead itself i trust that i should tell them --if i did find the chat transcript, thanks).

I think its HUGE that your company. Is willing to sponsor you. It further asserts your ability. What was your gmat if you dont mind sharing?

And yes, think you should def start working on essays for other schools too...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi all,

Count me in - Waitlisted...

In addition to the discussions in the last few posts, which characteristic do you think have the greatest impact - is it Nationality?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ebay wrote:
Hi all,

Count me in - Waitlisted...

In addition to the discussions in the last few posts, which characteristic do you think have the greatest impact - is it Nationality?

Thanks.

I think it's impossible to tell; however, being that INSEAD markets itself as THE global school, im sure it does play a big part in the diversity consideration. My thought/advice though is that nationality is not something you can change (ie strengthen), so i would take a critical look at your profile and app to identify potential weakness areas that you can improve on.

Did you apply to other schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi enkie,

I did not apply to any other school, but I will consider applying now - I must say that I regard this waitlist almost as a ding, since I don't see a practical way to understand the chances to get off the list - anything I would say here is just an guess.

I also don't believe there is much I can strengthen about my application - I was promoted fairly recently (9 months ago), so I don't foresee any other promotion. I have paid a visit to fonty campus prior to my application. The biggest weakness in my application is perhaps lack of significant international experience, which I cannot change in a short period of time. So I will definitely express my passion about INSEAD, and add maybe more recommendation, but other than that I am not sure there is much I can do.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  17   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts