Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

JB's Guide to Dressing & Interview Attire

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: JB's Guide to Dressing & Interview Attire [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 21:08
Having been through a few b-school interviews by now, I need to amend my rather strict stance on interview clothes. It just doesn't seem like your attire matters nearly as much here as at an actual job interview, the experiences from which I was speaking earlier.

It seems to come down to a few points:

1) Don't overdress. Being blinged out in cufflinks, contrast collar, suspendered, chalk-striped double breasted Michael Douglas banker gear is going to feel so out of place sitting across from an interviewer wearing chinos and a gingham shirt. Anything less that that is fine as long as you are...

2)...wearing a suit and tie. None of these people give a shit if your tie is woven or printed, with little patterns or stripes. As long as it doesn't play music or have a penny attached, I think you're fine.

3) Shoes don't matter. I mean, they do, but as long as they are dark and leather, I don't think anyone cares if they are open or closed laced. Mine have been trashed to all hell in this awful snow and slush, and so have everybody's. I interviewed at a PE shop downtown and my shoes were burgundy cordovan :shock: That's because they handle weather very well and keep my feet dry.

The end is only the beginning.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross or Fuqua?
WE 1: Master of Science, including Masters Thesis
WE 2: 5 years at multiple Government Contractors

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

Re: JB's Guide to Dressing & Interview Attire [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 09:25
How did I just find this thread? I think suit shopping, etc. is like my favorite thing ever. My wife thinks I'm weird.

Just going to add some of my opinions.

Lace-ups vs. slipons - If you want to be super conservative than yeah, you want Cap Toe Oxfords... not a Derby shoe (or Bluecher). But, in NJ slipons are wholly acceptable. Just don't confuse a slipon dress show with a loafer... don't wear loafers.

Cuff Links - Hadn't heard that French Cuff shirts are "bad" before. Here's how I see it: If I'm paying $100 for a shirt or $200ish for a custom shirt, I'm getting French Cuffs. I'll wear my Tiffany sterling silver, monogrammed cuffs with them.

Ties - at my office, it's full-Windsor or nothing. Unless you're wearing an English or London spread (and don't ever) it doesn't look that big, but gives symmetry.

Suits - you guys pretty much nailed it, but let me add 1 thing. Do not shop at Banana Republic or J Crew for a suit. Those aren't "suits". They are made of crappy wool, the lapels are far too narrow, and they often come with pique stitching that looks bad. Pique stitching can be fine, but those guys do it wrong.

Having said all that... it's 2011 and we're only talking about B-School interviews. It probably doesn't matter. But I do like to wear suits :-)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: JB's Guide to Dressing & Interview Attire [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 09:23
BabyBeagle wrote:
I interviewed at a PE shop downtown and my shoes were burgundy cordovan :shock: That's because they handle weather very well and keep my feet dry.

BabyBeagle wrote:
Here is a 10/10. A beautiful Macclesfield print from Sam Hober. The pattern connotes absolutely nothing but is still elegant. David (Hober) also makes these ties to order, so you can specify construction and length. I've never bought from him, and I'm not affiliated, but I've heard his quality is comparable to Charvet, Hermes, Simmonot-Godard, etc. I.e. stratospheric.

BabyBeagle wrote:
The suit is charcoal gray or navy blue. Some would say charcoal is your only option here. To anyone who mentions black: come on. Are you Justin Timberlake, an undertaker, or a waiter? Are you hitting the club right after the interview? Also, no pinstripes, no windowpanes, no chalkstripes, no plaids. You're not in a Ralph Lauren catalog, you're trying to convey why you'd be a good fit for company x without letting flashy clothing get in the way.

Shoes should be made of top grain calfskin. This means at a minimum, Allen Edmonds. The Park Avenue is your safest bet - a very traditional cap-toe, close-laced oxford. You can also try Alden or Brooks Bros' Peal line, which is made by Crockett and Jones or Alfred Sargent, both in the UK. I wouldn't do cordovan (cordovan is foremost a type of leather, not a color - the most common color that it is dyed is commonly called cordovan, though). The thing about cordovan is that when it is new, it can squeak, and it has a very characteristic waxy sheen to it. It's nice when well worn, but IMO makes a shoe more casual than calfskin, even though it is about 1.5x more expensive.

NO PIMP SHOES.

BabyBeagle wrote:
Save the sprezzatura for when you actually have the job.

Please don't tell people to wear black suits. In the United States, you will look like a waiter. Maybe that's different in Europe. In the US, you do not wear a black suit in the daytime, ever, unless you are a waiter or driver or doorman or undertaker...you get the idea.

You're on styleforum aren't you? :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: JB's Guide to Dressing & Interview Attire [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 15:43
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 3: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 48

Re: JB's Guide to Dressing & Interview Attire [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 18:35
Wooow..... I didn't think that there were so many ways of dressing incorrectly and screwing up interviews..... Got a few coming up.... Going to remember the discussions so much when I get dressed for the interviews....

My GMAT Debrief | My ISB 2015 Interview

Re: JB's Guide to Dressing & Interview Attire   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2014, 18:35