Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink]
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the detailed discussion on Jeff's quant material. I will be retaking GMAT in one month's time. On my first test I scored 48 in Quant. I think that at this stage I will have to take a combination of The GMAT Math and challenging set. Please advice if I am right in my my approach.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Hi, akshay4110!

Your situation calls for an emphasis on the verbal section, so please make sure that you prioritize that area. As for math, keep yourself busy with Sackmann's Challenge Set and the GMATClub tests. A math score of 48Q indicates that you could benefit from those two resources.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
@bmillan01,

I have exhausted all GMATClub Quant CATS during my last prep and scored only Q42 which is 49% . Now I'm considering going through the Jeff Sackman's Challenge Sets with the hope to boost my score up and over 65%. Will this alone be sufficient? I'm not entirely sure if going through the GMATClub Tests for a second round after finishing JS's Challenge Sets helps. Love to hear from you.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi chocodetella,

With a Q42, you're making too many little mistakes and missing too many 'gettable' questions - so if that is an accurate assessment of your abilities, then working on 'challenge' questions is probably not a good use of your time. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi chocodetella,

With a Q42, you're making too many little mistakes and missing too many 'gettable' questions - so if that is an accurate assessment of your abilities, then working on 'challenge' questions is probably not a good use of your time. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your willingness to help. I hope my answers to your questions will give you a better understanding on both areas:
Studies: (Quant specific)
1) Prior taking the most recent test, I studied for about 1.5 months on Quant.
2) I watched Manhattan GMAT's Thursday with Ron quant sessions for about 3 weeks then proceeded to taking a Quant CAT per day out of GMAT Club Tests, plus review.
3) My CAT scores vary as follow: Quant: 36-50; Verbal: 28-45. My recent real test scores: Q42 and V34

Goals:
4) I'm currently not too concerned with my Verbal score. My goal is just to push my Quant score to 65% or higher which I believe is Q47.
5) I'm planning to take GMAT sometimes in February or March. Provided that I still have to work on my applications either alongside the Quant prep or after taking the test.
6) I'm now applying for Fall 2017 and deadlines are on March 31, 2017.
7) My target schools: Seattle U and Carleton University in Canada. Seattle U asked for Q65% which is what I aim for. Carleton is just my backup plan.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi chocodetella,

You seem focused on raising your Quant Scaled Score to the 'defined level' that Seattle U has 'asked' for, but are you sure that that's the only area of the GMAT that the School cares about? What about the overall score? What about the AWA? What if you hit your Quant goal but your Verbal score dropped significantly? Would hitting the 65th percentile in Quant guarantee you a spot at the School (and what if everyone who applied scored at that level - what else about your GMAT score would help to set you apart?)?

1) When did you take the Official GMAT?
2) When did you take your most recent CAT (and how did you score on that CAT)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi chocodetella,

You seem focused on raising your Quant Scaled Score to the 'defined level' that Seattle U has 'asked' for, but are you sure that that's the only area of the GMAT that the School cares about? What about the overall score? What about the AWA? What if you hit your Quant goal but your Verbal score dropped significantly? Would hitting the 65th percentile in Quant guarantee you a spot at the School (and what if everyone who applied scored at that level - what else about your GMAT score would help to set you apart?)?

1) When did you take the Official GMAT?
2) When did you take your most recent CAT (and how did you score on that CAT)?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have talked to a Seattle U advisor recently. He said that my overall score (620) was not bad but they were usually looking for a quant section of 65% or higher, thus he recommended concentrating on the quant section more than verbal section for the test retake. The average GMAT score of last year's class profile was 647. Although hitting the 65th percentile in Quant would not guarantee me a spot at the School, I have my hopes up. I'm not sure if this was too ambitious but I would appreciate your input from a realistic point of view.

Also, I am in hope of having my verbal score remain the same or having the admission committee look at the total score report for both attempts to justify my verbal score if it ever drops. Yet, I am recontacting them to seek an affirmation on this regard.

1) I took the Official GMAT on Nov 14, 2016
2) Most recent CATs: Q46 on Nov 11, 2016 and V36 on Oct 13, 2016

Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi chocodetella,

Rather than continue this conversation in this thread, I've sent you a PM with some additional advice.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2