Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 23

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 08:03
hailmary620 wrote:
jplw26 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

Do you know which school are you leaning towards? You have some great options and hopefully Kellogg will come through this weekend also.

I hope Kellogg comes through tomorrow as well but I am going with the assumption that I will not be admitted. I am deciding right now between Ross, Johnson, Kelley, and Tepper. After attending the admit weekends, I am hoping things will become more clear for me - though the problem is that all 4 programs have admit weekends in the same weekend. I'll be making a holistic decision based on all the factors but no particular strong lean as of right now.

How about you? I think I remember seeing you broke the 700 mark on your re-take so congrats on that!

Things don't really look good for me. I am fighting a Duke WL and checking my inbox every 20 minutes for a Johnson invite. To make things even worse, I am an old man (28) and will be much older next year, so not sure if I will reapply next year. I will probably apply to couple schools in R3.

Well all the schools you mentioned are good, but I think you got to pick between Cornell & Ross, unless you have $$$ offers from other two. Either way, you will have a good time anywhere. We might run into each other at DJ :)

Hey hailmary620 have you heard anything from McCombs?
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [2] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
kasonhills wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

How about you? I think I remember seeing you broke the 700 mark on your re-take so congrats on that!

[/quote]

Nope, nothing so far. I thought McCombs was going to be safety school for me, but they punched me on the face. No such thing as safety these days.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 08:50
hailmary620 wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

Nope, nothing so far. I thought McCombs was going to be safety school for me, but they punched me on the face. No such thing as safety these days.

Seriously man. The process is much more competitive than I'd thought it would be.

Shoot off a few apps in Rd 3 hopefully you'll get something. I also don't think 28/29 is too old, I think you could reapply next year without them holding that against you. Just depends if you're up for the long haul.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 09:42
hailmary620 wrote:

Quote:

same... I had anticipated my chances at McCombs being around 80% with an interview invite being all but a sure thing. Apparently, I over-estimated my credentials.

... and the fact that a 780 only got admitted to McCombs out of all their applications pretty much confirms that thought. Also, I'm 29 (got 1 more year under my belt than you). I agree that the ROI begins to fall quite a bit after about 25. With an average starting salary for grads of 105ish, I barely justified to myself even this year to go for an MBA. Next year would be out of the question.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:

same... I had anticipated my chances at McCombs being around 80% with an interview invite being all but a sure thing. Apparently, I over-estimated my credentials.

... and the fact that a 780 only got admitted to McCombs out of all their applications pretty much confirms that thought. Also, I'm 29 (got 1 more year under my belt than you). I agree that the ROI begins to fall quite a bit after about 25. With an average starting salary for grads of 105ish, I barely justified to myself even this year to go for an MBA. Next year would be out of the question.

I'm 31 and I had the same doubts about ROI. My current salary is only 10k below the McCombs post MBA salary. What convinced me was the long term ROI and the knowledge that I will move towards a career path where I believe I can do my best work.

http://oxonian2013mba.wordpress.com/

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

Quote:

You are right on, I've been really surprised by how hard it is to get an acceptance. I think I have a good profile. I'm 27, high GMAT, good work experience, some international experience, plenty of service and volunteer work. My one weakness being my GPA which is about 3.25 - still well within range for every school I applied to. I got the 5 interview invites so I thought for sure I'd get at least 2-3 acceptances. Never saw four wait lists coming my way. I'm grateful for the McCombs acceptance for sure, but it's still been frustrating.

That is true the ROI does decrease, but if you are looking to change gears like I am, then the MBA is your best bet. If you're already in the industry you want to be in, then it may not be worth the price after a certain age.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:03
rjdunn03 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

Quote:

You are right on, I've been really surprised by how hard it is to get an acceptance. I think I have a good profile. I'm 27, high GMAT, good work experience, some international experience, plenty of service and volunteer work. My one weakness being my GPA which is about 3.25 - still well within range for every school I applied to. I got the 5 interview invites so I thought for sure I'd get at least 2-3 acceptances. Never saw four wait lists coming my way. I'm grateful for the McCombs acceptance for sure, but it's still been frustrating.

That is true the ROI does decrease, but if you are looking to change gears like I am, then the MBA is your best bet. If you're already in the industry you want to be in, then it may not be worth the price after a certain age.

Yeah, I'm doing a slight career change which was the only reason I applied. From a dollars and cents perspective, it would have been pretty hard to justify. Anyway, I'll keep crossing my fingers; maybe I'll see you in class next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:17
jiggedyjared wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:

Yeah, I'm doing a slight career change which was the only reason I applied. From a dollars and cents perspective, it would have been pretty hard to justify. Anyway, I'll keep crossing my fingers; maybe I'll see you in class next year.

Hope so man. Your stats look solid so I'm surprised you haven't heard back too. Best of luck.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [2] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
rjdunn03 wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:

Hope so man. Your stats look solid so I'm surprised you haven't heard back too. Best of luck.

RJDUNN: I think you should get your application analyzed by a consultant. My GMAT is significantly lower than yours, so it makes sense that I am not getting any luck, but your 780 is a big big weapon. 3.25 is very respectable also. I think you should apply to couple schools in R3 and get a consultant. I am very positive that it will yield good results. Maybe try for Kellogg/Booth this year.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:32
I applied round 3 to McCombs, haven't heard anything back from them yet after the interview. No one else has heard back yet right? However, I just got an email from them that was an update to the MBA waitlist and addressed to the MBA waitlist - am I to take that I'm on the waitlist now or is it some kind of mistake they sent out to other applicants too?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:41
tigerman23 wrote:
I applied round 3 to McCombs, haven't heard anything back from them yet after the interview. No one else has heard back yet right? However, I just got an email from them that was an update to the MBA waitlist and addressed to the MBA waitlist - am I to take that I'm on the waitlist now or is it some kind of mistake they sent out to other applicants too?

I applied on 1/23 and never heard anything back. No interview. No Ding. Nothing.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 96

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hope so man. Your stats look solid so I'm surprised you haven't heard back too. Best of luck.[/quote]

RJDUNN: I think you should get your application analyzed by a consultant. My GMAT is significantly lower than yours, so it makes sense that I am not getting any luck, but your 780 is a big big weapon. 3.25 is very respectable also. I think you should apply to couple schools in R3 and get a consultant. I am very positive that it will yield good results. Maybe try for Kellogg/Booth this year.[/quote]

agreed. happy to recommend if u need. or just search the forums. but 780 can get u decent if ur story is good and rest of stats decent
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
tigerman23 wrote:

If you mean full time non-consortium R3, then it may very well be a mistake. McCombs applicant system is pretty flawed, but their staff is quite helpful. Might be worth just asking them directly. They fired off a mistaken update to me about a month ago. You should hear back next week for sure, though.

... also, I agree that with a 780, 3.25, international/management experiene, and decent extra-currics, you should set your sights on some additional schools. An admissions consultant might just be the help you need. Heck, I have much lower test scores than you, and if I weren't tied to Texas, I would have applied to NYU/Columbia/Yale. The top tier type (about the top 10) schools present much more solid post-mba options than the 2nd tier schools (about 11-25) in my opinion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 13:01
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Maybe you're right. I'll start doing some research on consultants, it couldn't hurt to shoot out a couple last apps in round 3. Thanks for the input, I'll keep you guys posted.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 13:05
tigerman23 wrote:

I got the email and I am on the waitlist...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 13:47
jiggedyjared wrote:

I'm 31 and I had the same doubts about ROI. My current salary is only 10k below the McCombs post MBA salary. What convinced me was the long term ROI and the knowledge that I will move towards a career path where I believe I can do my best work.

I am 33, 1.5 years back during my performance review my supervisor put on a serious look and said I would no where be making 90K (I am a Civil engineer in Chicago) even after a promotion THREE years from now, when I questioned him about promotions and pay raises. I felt no incentive to get out of bed the next day & that is when I decided MBA was the path forward. Now again I would not just work for the $ but the kind of work would matter to me a lot. So the point I was trying to make is age is not everything, so let that not be the biggest factor in your decisions.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 14:22
I did get an email for WL update. I am on WL since my R2 WL notification. I have not been invited for an interview but still on WL so I plan to use the video as a interview substitute. There is confusion about dates mentioned in the email but a phone call to the admissions office should get it answered.

UTDB wrote:
tigerman23 wrote:

I got the email and I am on the waitlist...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 14:55
Got the below email from UT today. I guess I plan on doing the video interview. I went back and found one video interview report in this thread (http://gmatclub.com/forum/mccombs-ut-austin-2013-calling-all-applicants-139659-360.html?hilit=video#p1176926) -- but does anybody else have details? Wondering if the same 3 questions were asked of others as well.

Quote:
Thank you for your continued interest in the Texas MBA Program!

We continue to be interested in your candidacy and would like to provide you with some information which we hope will be useful for you.

1. Updates:

a. Please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu with any of the following items which may be relevant to your candidacy:

i. Improved test scores – be sure to include a PDF of the score and request that the official score be sent to you

ii. Material changes in your current employment including promotions, increase in job responsibilities, etc.

b. We do not generally need any additional recommendations so please do not request that any of these be sent to us.

c. Any updates should be emailed to MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by April 1st, 2013.

2. Video Interview Opportunity (Optional)

a. Please note that these are completely optional.

b. If you wish to have the opportunity to present your candidacy in a video interview, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by March 25th, 2013 with your request with the subject of “Video Upload Request” and we will follow up with detailed instructions.

c. Please note that these must be completed by April 1st, 2013.

3. Decision Notification:

a. We expect to begin reviewing our waitlist at the end of April 2013 and will update you by early May with a decision on your application.

If you no longer wish to remain on our waitlist, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

The Texas MBA Admissions Team
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 15:20
Did you already interview? I was WL-ed after applying through the Consortium and interviewing via Skype. So I asked them if I can still do another video interview but haven't received a response yet.

Good luck to everyone, it truly is a grueling process but I am confident it will work out for everyone in the end :) I've tried researching WL stats but it's pretty impossible to figure out what happens from here.

Good luck everyone

brosnan6 wrote:
Got the below email from UT today. I guess I plan on doing the video interview. I went back and found one video interview report in this thread (http://gmatclub.com/forum/mccombs-ut-austin-2013-calling-all-applicants-139659-360.html?hilit=video#p1176926) -- but does anybody else have details? Wondering if the same 3 questions were asked of others as well.

Quote:

We continue to be interested in your candidacy and would like to provide you with some information which we hope will be useful for you.

1. Updates:

a. Please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu with any of the following items which may be relevant to your candidacy:

i. Improved test scores – be sure to include a PDF of the score and request that the official score be sent to you

ii. Material changes in your current employment including promotions, increase in job responsibilities, etc.

b. We do not generally need any additional recommendations so please do not request that any of these be sent to us.

c. Any updates should be emailed to MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by April 1st, 2013.

b. If you wish to have the opportunity to present your candidacy in a video interview, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by March 25th, 2013 with your request with the subject of “Video Upload Request” and we will follow up with detailed instructions.

a. We expect to begin reviewing our waitlist at the end of April 2013 and will update you by early May with a decision on your application.

If you no longer wish to remain on our waitlist, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu

Best,

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 15:24
Oh yes, should have mentioned - I was waitlisted in R2 with interview (was asked to interview in the first batch that went out about a week after the R2 deadline)

silvaware wrote:
Did you already interview? I was WL-ed after applying through the Consortium and interviewing via Skype. So I asked them if I can still do another video interview but haven't received a response yet.

Good luck to everyone, it truly is a grueling process but I am confident it will work out for everyone in the end :) I've tried researching WL stats but it's pretty impossible to figure out what happens from here.

Good luck everyone

brosnan6 wrote:

Quote:

1. Updates:

Best,

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2013, 15:24