Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
To my knowledge no r3 applicants have even heard back yet w decision. I tried to expedite by pointing out that april is welcome weekend. We'll see what happens

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
soniaj wrote:
Are there any R3 admits out there that have received scholarship information?

Not sure if it's 100% accurate, but the McCombs website states that R2 is the deadline for schollie consideration.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jiggedyjared wrote:
soniaj wrote:
Are there any R3 admits out there that have received scholarship information?

Not sure if it's 100% accurate, but the McCombs website states that R2 is the deadline for schollie consideration.

I should have phrased my question differently. The deadline for Consortium applicants is January 5th, so technically we are neither Round 2 nor Round 3. We receive admit decisions after the Round 2 folks but before the Round 3 folks. So I'm curous if any Consortium Round 2 admits have received scholarship information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
kingme wrote:
Just got the Congratulatory email. YES!!

Congratulations Rupok bhai! Do you plan to go to McCombs or are you going to wait for Fuqua or Tepper?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Well guys I was leaning towards McCombs anyway with the scholarship I got, but now after my double wait list at Fuqua and Ross, and not receiving a call from Darden today, looks like its pretty much certain! Looking forward to meeting you guys.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
pdwall361 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what factors others are weighing that received a scholarship from McCombs? I got a similar call to others late last week and its certainly weighing on my decision.

Congrats on the admits, and the scholarship! What are your goals after graduation? CBS and McCombs seem like very different programs to me. If you want to go into investment banking, or finance, Columbia is much stronger than McCombs. But for other things it really depends. Take a look at the employment reports for McCombs, if the companies that you are interested in recruit at McCombs then the scholarship and difference in cost of living could certainly make coming to McCombs worth it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hello again. Do the MBA students share the building and facilities with undergrads? Or do they have their own building? Are some of the classes mixed? Do the professors teach both graduate and undergraduate classes? Thank you very much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
WE:Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
kasonhills wrote:
Hello again. Do the MBA students share the building and facilities with undergrads? Or do they have their own building? Are some of the classes mixed? Do the professors teach both graduate and undergraduate classes? Thank you very much.

The building is definitely the same. It's a big building and there are definitely MBA spaces (study rooms, etc.) but you see the whole range of students in it. I used to stop through there as a UT liberal arts undergrad because it had free copies of the Financial Times and a better food court than other buildings. It's also a shortcut between two main parts of campus and it's air-conditioned, so lots of foot traffic on the lower levels. And I remember it being quite clear who the MBA students were -- they were often in suits, had special MBA backpacks, different demeanor.

I'm not sure about the academic questions. I am nearly positive that there won't be undergrads in classes (all MBA classes have a graduate level course number). I don't know about the professors though.

(Again this is from the outside looking in so maybe a current student on here can weigh in)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Thank you very much for the information. that is very good to know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
pdwall361 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what factors others are weighing that received a scholarship from McCombs? I got a similar call to others late last week and its certainly weighing on my decision.

Congrats on the admits, and the scholarship! What are your goals after graduation? CBS and McCombs seem like very different programs to me. If you want to go into investment banking, or finance, Columbia is much stronger than McCombs. But for other things it really depends. Take a look at the employment reports for McCombs, if the companies that you are interested in recruit at McCombs then the scholarship and difference in cost of living could certainly make coming to McCombs worth it.

If there's a particular strength that both Austin and NYC share, it's high tech start-up business. While Silicon Valley still is king, these two are 2nd and 3rd in the country. Essentially having the community exposure to these companies (knowing full well my time to get involved would be several years after b-school) was something I sought in my applications. So far I'm reweighing the factors which led to my applications in the first place (student community, network, brand, etc.).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
pdwall361 wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
pdwall361 wrote:

If there's a particular strength that both Austin and NYC share, it's high tech start-up business. While Silicon Valley still is king, these two are 2nd and 3rd in the country. Essentially having the community exposure to these companies (knowing full well my time to get involved would be several years after b-school) was something I sought in my applications. So far I'm reweighing the factors which led to my applications in the first place (student community, network, brand, etc.).

I don't know much about Columbia's entrepreneurship/startup focus, but McCombs is very strong. You nailed it, Austin is an awesome place to get exposure to start ups and tech. A big draw to McCombs is the Venture Fellows program. From what I understand you work closely with Venture capital firms throughout your time in the program, and then you are placed in an internship with one of them as well. That would give you excellent exposure to the Austin startup community.

For tech ventures I'd say McCombs is one of the best programs you'll find. Columbia has a stronger overall brand and reputation, but finance is really their bread and butter. Plus its hecka expensive, both for tuition and cost of living, with the UT scholarship the difference is even bigger. Also, I know they are working on this, but Columbia seems like more of a commuter school, rather than a tight knit community like McCombs. Again, these are differences that you should weigh. It just depends on whether you think the benefits of McCombs are worth the drop in brand reputation. Some surely wouldn't.

You say it would be several years before you really got involved with the high tech start ups, what do you plan to do directly after school? Will you be attending preview weekend? Might be a good chance to see what you think and how you feel about the program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I have declined McCombs offer earlier this week. Hopefully this helps the people on the waitlist! It's a fantastic school and I am bummed out that I won't be spending the two years in sunny Austin. Best of luck to you guys and hook em!

Originally posted by jplw26 on 20 Mar 2013, 08:11.
Last edited by jplw26 on 20 Mar 2013, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
jplw26 wrote:
I have declined McCombs offer earlier this week. Hopefully this helps the people on the waitlist! It's a fantastic school and I am bummed out that I won't be spending the two years in Austin. Best of luck to you guys and hook em!

Let me guess, you will be accepting tepper ... if not tepper than kelley...

Archit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
jplw26 wrote:
I have declined McCombs offer earlier this week. Hopefully this helps the people on the waitlist! It's a fantastic school and I am bummed out that I won't be spending the two years in sunny Austin. Best of luck to you guys and hook em!

Do you know which school are you leaning towards? You have some great options and hopefully Kellogg will come through this weekend also.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
jplw26 wrote:

Do you know which school are you leaning towards? You have some great options and hopefully Kellogg will come through this weekend also.

I hope Kellogg comes through tomorrow as well but I am going with the assumption that I will not be admitted. I am deciding right now between Ross, Johnson, Kelley, and Tepper. After attending the admit weekends, I am hoping things will become more clear for me - though the problem is that all 4 programs have admit weekends in the same weekend. I'll be making a holistic decision based on all the factors but no particular strong lean as of right now.

How about you? I think I remember seeing you broke the 700 mark on your re-take so congrats on that!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
jplw26 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
jplw26 wrote:

I hope Kellogg comes through tomorrow as well but I am going with the assumption that I will not be admitted. I am deciding right now between Ross, Johnson, Kelley, and Tepper. After attending the admit weekends, I am hoping things will become more clear for me - though the problem is that all 4 programs have admit weekends in the same weekend. I'll be making a holistic decision based on all the factors but no particular strong lean as of right now.

How about you? I think I remember seeing you broke the 700 mark on your re-take so congrats on that!

Things don't really look good for me. I am fighting a Duke WL and checking my inbox every 20 minutes for a Johnson invite. To make things even worse, I am an old man (28) and will be much older next year, so not sure if I will reapply next year. I will probably apply to couple schools in R3.

Well all the schools you mentioned are good, but I think you got to pick between Cornell & Ross, unless you have $$$ offers from other two. Either way, you will have a good time anywhere. We might run into each other at DJ :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Keep your head up! And I am an old man as well (29) so don't give up hope if things don't work out this year.

I do have various money offers from all but Ross (still pending) so we'll see. Yes, I hope we do run into each other at DJ! I'll be rooting for you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts