Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GPA: 3.23
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Re: Meager 610 In First Attempt ! Need Advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi akxshay,

By your own admissions, you have not done much studying for the Verbal section, so your score in that section is not a surprise (and we don't know if you actually have any specific 'weak areas' yet). That having been said, your studies so far have been 'book heavy'; many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so that is something to consider. You can certainly proceed with the materials that you have already assembled and study as you see fit OR you can invest in some new non-book materials that will help you to focus on the Verbal section and hone those skills.

Another 1-2 months of consistent study would give you a pretty good opportunity to improve your skills and put together a strong overall Official GMAT score.

1) How many hours do you think you can study during a typical week?
2) What practice CATs have you taken so far? What CATs do you 'have left'?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
You can invest in some new non-book materials that will help you to focus on the Verbal section and hone those skills.

Hi Rich,

Can you please further mention the non-book materials you are referring to ? I would do anything that takes to improve my score in the Verbal section. :)

Please find below the responses to your questions :

1) How many hours do you think you can study during a typical week?

I can easily devote at least 15-20 hours a week.

2) What practice CATs have you taken so far? What CATs do you 'have left'?

I have taken Kaplan and Manhattan CATs, a couple of them is still remaining in each of them. In addition to these, I have taken the two free GMATPrep CATs. I will definitely need to buy some new CATs, kindly advise some.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi akxshay,

With a Q49, the missing points in that section will come down to the little things (little mistakes that you might make, rarer DS prompts, mid-level word problems, etc.). Since you need practice in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR), I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too bad. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com) that you can use to 'test out' the Course before you set up an Account. Before investing in any new CATs, you should finish the ones that you have.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot Rich,

I will surely have a look at the 'Verbal Score Booster' and get back to you in case of any concerns.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
You mentioned only studying 2 months but it sounds like you put a lot of hours into it. You used all of those resources and did 3 prep exams. I took the test twice and studied for about 5 months and only used the OG and did 3 test exams. First I'm saying that it sounds like you actually studied quite a bit. Second, if you're planning on going from a 24 to 40+ on verbal you've probably got a lot of work to do and I would suggest working on that rather than doing a CAT every week. I think verbal is by far the hardest to improve at. Even the OG says just to do more reading to improve, which isn't very inspiring.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
WayneHam wrote:
If you're planning on going from a 24 to 40+ on verbal you've probably got a lot of work to do and I would suggest working on that rather than doing a CAT every week. I think verbal is by far the hardest to improve at. Even the OG says just to do more reading to improve, which isn't very inspiring.

Hi WayneHam,

I did use a lot of resources for Quantitative. But if you check for Verbal, I did not do even the basic stuff. I have prepared for Quantitative in previous years for the exams which have a lot more complex math than the GMAT. Hence it did not take much time for me to complete these resources. I barely made any mistake in my first attempt at solving these materials.

24 in Verbal has been my lowest score among all the tests I have given including the actual GMAT. I knew that I won't perform great, but was expecting 30+. I have scheduled my retake on 30th April. I have 3 months with me, I will devote most time of my preparation to Verbal this time, will just revise the Maths topics and give some mocks.

I agree getting a 40+ will be a huge challenge, but I am definitely ready to take it up. :wink: . I know there is a lot I can do in Verbal, will do some hard work and leave rest of the things for the D Day. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts