Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

I think name dropping is....

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Re: Name dropping in your essays, good idea or not? [#permalink]
Kudos
Agreed; I think it does add credibility, particularly when you are discussing how you know a program's a good fit for you/how you've gotten to know the program. I think the only time it's kind of annoying is when you're dropping the president of your company's name when it's not relevant. Showing you have general proximity to a well-known and successful person doesn't make you well-known or successful.

I will say that in all my friends' business school essays that 99% of them name dropped students they met, professors who's classes they sat in on, and it was always done in a natural, tasteful way. I think it's a common practice.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I would say only if it adds value and you are sure of it. If not, its wasted words (and better saved for an interview) since they can see beyond simple name dropping.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Since you mentioned that "name dropping" involves the alums and students that you've talked to, I am going to say this.

Unless the student or the alum is really famous, I don't really see the point of including the name in the essay. For example, let's say I am part of the adcom committee who is reading your essay. If the student or the alum isn't famous, I will be like, "Who is this person? It doesn't ring a bell."

Now if the case involves a influential student or alum that can make an impact on their decision process, I think you should drop those names. After all, if Jenna Bush's ex-highschool boyfriend got into HBS without an undergrad college degree thanks to GW connection, I am sure there are other schools (besides HBS) that would do this.

I think you can judge for yourself and say, "Including this person's name or revealing my relationship with this person might affect the adcom's decision to a degree..." or vice versa.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Stern's essays practically demand name dropping people you've talked to at the school. Otherwise, I echo what people have said... If it's appropriate and not forced go for it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
In an essay, it can be harder to pull off successfully. Like others have said, if name dropping makes sense in the context of the essay, it makes sense to try. If you're just name dropping for the sake of indicating that you spoke with an alum, I think it's better to avoid including it in the essay. Most schools have a section on the app that says "Current Student or Alum you spoke with" (or something to that effect)...

I think one way to check if the name-dropping is odd, is to have someone else read your essay. See if they comment on the name-dropping being out of context, etc.

That being said, I think it's a good idea to name drop in an interview - something like "I'm really looking forward to participating in X. Alum Y mentioned that it really helped yada yada". It's much easier to pull off as well...

hope this helps :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I never considered it name dropping as I wasn't trying to get credit for the students name in the essays. However, in every goals essay I mentioned one or two of the students I reached out to. I also mentioned what I reached out to the for (clubs, recruiting, culture, etc.) and also said what I learned from them. I did this to show the schools that this was not a cookie cutter essay and I really did my homework on the school.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
I never considered it name dropping as I wasn't trying to get credit for the students name in the essays. However, in every goals essay I mentioned one or two of the students I reached out to. I also mentioned what I reached out to the for (clubs, recruiting, culture, etc.) and also said what I learned from them. I did this to show the schools that this was not a cookie cutter essay and I really did my homework on the school.

Same.
Current Student
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Most schools have a section on the app that says "Current Student or Alum you spoke with" (or something to that effect)...

Only my Ross application had that section and yes I did "name drop" heavily in that section. I mean since they were asking.... :wink:

Quote:
I think one way to check if the name-dropping is odd, is to have someone else read your essay. See if they comment on the name-dropping being out of context, etc.

Good point. Whenever I thought of putting a name in, it always seemed to come across as being forced. I always pictured the adcom thinking "that was out of place". However, I'm sure you guys are much better writers than I am and could make it work.

Quote:
That being said, I think it's a good idea to name drop in an interview - something like "I'm really looking forward to participating in X. Alum Y mentioned that it really helped yada yada". It's much easier to pull off as well...

Exactly! It seems a lot more natural during an interview, probably because there isn't a word limit!

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I think professors are definitely ok to name-drop if you've talked to them, attended a class, or just want to take them. I think students or alumni, unless they are famous, will be kind of out of place in an essay. I think your research and your student connections should come out in what you say in your essays. You don't have to provide your evidence. Also, by you asking this question, there may be some people that may think negatively about it. You have to analyze the risk/reward of any risky element you put in your essay. Some people may think negatively about it, so is it worth that chance since the name dropping will probably only have a neutral outcome on your app?

I think you should take risks in your apps. But risks that have the rewards of an admit or significant positive outcome on your app.

However in all reality, it probably won't make a diff either way. lol
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
I personally left out names. I agree with Agold on the career switchers but, outside of that, I think there are a lot of ways to show you researched the school. That said, I know a lot of people attending M7 that dropped names in their essays.

The best way to name drop is to get one of the people worthy of name dropping to write your letter of rec.
Current Student
Send PM
To whoever voted "..another annoying topic that refurb feels a need to post about"...

:thanks

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I named dropped a few professors which I was really interested in....but no students.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I think, as a few other people have said, it all depends on whether it comes across as a natural part of the essay or as blatant name-dropping. I for one didn't put any names in my essays, but did mention professors' names during interviews when talking about specific classes I either visited or was excited about taking at the school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
alrighty, I'll weigh in my 2 cents. :)

I "name-dropped" in every single one of my applications, generally in the essay that asks you "why MBA" or "Why X School?". I agree with what agold said, it should be relevant and show that you've done your homework. I generally put it in like, "After speaking with XYZ of the Technology Club, I learned from him that School X is very good at blah blah blah..." As long as you're not forcefully putting in as many names as possible, you'll be fine. If you spoke with student leadership in clubs that fit your career goals, mention the names of those student leaders. If you spoke with an alum, it's optional to put in the name (unless it's someone famous, as people have mentioned). I did, and it didn't really hurt me.

But like everything else, don't go overboard with names such that your essay reads like a honor-roll list. :P

I voted "something you don't need to worry that much over...", so just make it work and move on to the next step of this process. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I drop some names on my interview to show that I'm a good fit for the school. Of course the name-dropping should seamlessly blends into the essay. Just make sure that you don't put the names in just for the sake of "showing" it. Make it relevant to your essay (probably you're interested to join the club s/he lead, or you have the same background, or that you have the same aspiration, etc).

I voted for "something you don't need to worry too much over..." since it will only make a slight difference in the eyes of the adcom.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Leverandon wrote:
Stern's essays practically demand name dropping people you've talked to at the school. Otherwise, I echo what people have said... If it's appropriate and not forced go for it.

I don't think that is necessarily true (though I know that it happens regularly - especially some students). That said, I think the point is wise to mention who you spoke with. It adds credibility - "having spoken to some current students" vs "having spoken to some current students, including xxx & yyy" - they can really quickly recognize names from the school, clubs - and check if they really want. But it adds a level of assurance to things.

I don't think it is critical - I never did it, but I think it is not a bad thing (and is probably quite wise, in retrospect).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot