Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the high schools in the United States, Judd Academy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 32

CAT Tests
Of all the high schools in the United States, Judd Academy [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 04:51
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:24) correct 33% (01:22) wrong based on 9 sessions
Of all the high schools in the United States, Judd Academy is the one with the largest number of alumni serving in the Air Force. Knoxworth High School, however, is the school with the most graduates serving in the military as a whole, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
Which of the following, if true, is most clearly supported by the statements above?
(A) Knoxworth is the most patriotic town in the nation.
(B) Judd Academy has fewer graduates serving in the Navy than does Knoxworth High School.
(C) Judd Academy has a higher percentage of alumni serving in the Air Force than does Knoxworth High School.
(D) Some graduates of Knoxworth High School are serving in the military but not in the Air Force.
(E) Knoxworth High School is the school with the second-highest number of alumni serving in the Air Force.

Just explain.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 07:16
joshnsit wrote:
Of all the high schools in the United States, Judd Academy is the one with the largest number of alumni serving in the Air Force. Knoxworth High School, however, is the school with the most graduates serving in the military as a whole, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
Which of the following, if true, is most clearly supported by the statements above?
(B) Judd Academy has fewer graduates serving in the Navy than does Knoxworth High School.
(C) Judd Academy has a higher percentage of alumni serving in the Air Force than does Knoxworth High School.
(D) Some graduates of Knoxworth High School are serving in the military but not in the Air Force.
(E) Knoxworth High School is the school with the second-highest number of alumni serving in the Air Force.

Just explain.

Between (C) and (D) i prefer (D). It is directly stated in the text, that the most graduates serving in the military as a whole, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. Some serve in the army, but not in the Air Force.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 07:47
ulm wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

Just explain.

Between (C) and (D) i prefer (D). It is directly stated in the text, that the most graduates serving in the military as a whole, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. Some serve in the army, but not in the Air Force.

Dont you think that if every Air Force person can still be a part of another branch of militaries, i.e. Navy, Army etc etc. ? In that scenario, he would still be military as well as Air Force. No where it has been specified that a person has to get included exclusively in just one branch of military.

It can not be C because we dont know for how long Knoxworth and Judd have been running. The percentages depend on accumulative number of graduates till date.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 2

Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 08:32
I will go with C. OA please
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 10:04
TomB wrote:
I will go with C. OA please

I will open up the OA after some discussion.

C is not the answer. Please let me know if my analysis below has any loophole.
Quote:

Fact 1, Judd has largest number of alumni in the Air Force.
Let us take that as number of alumni for Judd in Air Force as 1000. Let us take total students till date studied in Judd be 10 000. In this scenario, percentage of talked in C for Judd is 10%.
According to fact 1, we can say that Knoxworth can have any number of graduates ranging from 1 to 999, who made it to Air Force. Let us take it 100. Now, it completely depends on total number of graduates who have passed from Knoxworth to determine whether Judd has higher number of students or AirForce do.
If you take total number of students passing from Knoxworth till date is greater than 1000, then percentage of Air Force gradautes will go down, otherwise it will rise up or even equal if total number of students from Knoxworth is 1000 till date.

Hope This Helps.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 12:09
I will go with C

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, LBS, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 12:15
a) Irrelevant and out of scope.
b) Not necessarily the case.
c) Not necessarily the case -Judd could be huge and Knox really small.
d) CORRECT, this has to be true because if all of knox's students were Air Force, and still knox was beaten by judd in air force students, then knox couldn't be the overall military leader.
e) Not necessarily the case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 12:50
hcueva wrote:
a) Irrelevant and out of scope.
b) Not necessarily the case.
c) Not necessarily the case -Judd could be huge and Knox really small.
d) CORRECT, [highlight]this has to be true because if all of knox's students were Air Force, and still knox was beaten by judd in air force students, then knox couldn't be the overall military leader.[/highlight]
e) Not necessarily the case.

@hcueva
For your and my reference, :) I have copied first statement from the stimulus with choice D here.
Statement 1: Judd Academy is the one with the largest number of alumni serving in the Air Force.

Let us say From Statement1 above: Judd has 100 graduates. Then, Knoxworth can have 1 to 99 graduates and (as per my earlier analysis tight-cr-of-all-the-high-schools-in-the-united-states-114102.html#p924749 in the same post) all of them can be in Air Force. How could D be correct in that scenario? Correct me if I am missing something here.

To respond to your comment [highlight]then knox couldn't be the overall military leader[/highlight], it is nowhere mentioned. It is neither mentioned that Judd has been the overall military leader. It may be some other college apart from these two colleges in overall military numbers who could be leader.

Intern
Intern

Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 12:59
joshnsit wrote:
Let us say From Statement1 above: Judd has 100 graduates. Then, Knoxworth can have 1 to 99 graduates and (as per my earlier analysis tight-cr-of-all-the-high-schools-in-the-united-states-114102.html#p924749 in the same post) all of them can be in Air Force. How could D be correct in that scenario? Correct me if I am missing something here.

I still think the OA should be d)

Your scenario says:

1. Judd has 100 in air force
2. Knox has 99 in air force (it can't have more than 99, and we assume you're right about the lack of mutual exclusivity).
3. Then who has the most people in the military in general? Judd.

So this scenario is impossible, because we know Knox has more people in general.

Therefore, to make it true, Knox has 99 people in Air Force, but must have at least 2 students who are not in the Air Force, but in some other area of the military. Therefore making d) true.
Intern
Intern

Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 13:01
joshnsit wrote:
To respond to your comment [highlight]then knox couldn't be the overall military leader[/highlight], it is nowhere mentioned. It is neither mentioned that Judd has been the overall military leader. It may be some other college apart from these two colleges in overall military numbers who could be leader.

It is mentioned, though!

"Knoxworth High School, however, is the school with the most graduates serving in the military as a whole, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 13:05
hcueva wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

I still think the OA should be d)

Your scenario says:

1. Judd has 100 in air force
2. Knox has 99 in air force (it can't have more than 99, and we assume you're right about the lack of mutual exclusivity).
3. Then who has the most people in the military in general? Judd.

So this scenario is impossible, because we know Knox has more people in general.

Therefore, to make it true, Knox has 99 people in Air Force, but must have at least 2 students who are not in the Air Force, but in some other area of the military. Therefore making d) true.

Got it. You nailed it, man.. Knox has to get 101 people as per statement two in stimulus, saying that Knox has the maximum number of military people. I missed it :oops:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 13:08
Guys, The OA is D.
Thanks for this nice discussion.

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 16:46
this is an easy D in 1:27 min , took that long because you posted the topic with the heading 'tight one' otherwise this should have taken less than 45 sec.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 376

Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 16:48
joshnsit wrote:

Consider these numbers:
Total Airforce personnel currently employed: 2000 ------------1
Air Force personnel from Judd Academy: 1000------------------2
Air Force personnel from Knoxworth: 100---------------------3
Air force personnel from XYZ: 900--------------------4

Navy personnel from JA: 100------------------5
Navy Personal from Knoxworth:0--------------------6

Army personnel from Judd Academy: 0-------------------7
Army personnel from Knoxworth: 10000----------------8

Rest all the military department: 0 personnel from any other school.

Alumni from JA till date:10000000000000000000000000000(I know it's more than earth's population :D)---------------9
% of JA alumni in Airforce: 1000/10000000000000000000000000000-----------------10

Alumni from Knox till date:10100-----------------------11
% of Knox alumni in Airforce:100/10100 ----------------------12

We don't know any relation between serving in military and patriotism. Cross.

Cross: Look at 5 and 6 above.

Cross. Look at 10 and 12 above.

Definitely yes.
In Airforce, Knoxworth can't outnumber JA. Yet it will have to outnumber JA in its total count of military personnels. Thus, there must be some graduates who are serving elsewhere other than Air Force.

Cross. Look at 3 and 4.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 17:02
garimavyas wrote:
this is an easy D in 1:27 min , took that long because you posted the topic with the heading 'tight one' otherwise this should have taken less than 45 sec.

Try this one. :lol: You should like this. :wink:
cr-two-genes-114078.html#p924823

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 03:08
clean D here.
comparison answer choices as mentioned in C are always doubtful answers especially when nothing has been mentioned in the argument.

D is subtle and clean.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Re: Tight CR : Of all the high schools in the United States   [#permalink] 24 May 2011, 03:08