Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2009 applicants [#permalink]
Thanks for the report, greenoak!

Interesting take on the environments/cultures at each school. I would say I'm pretty practical and rational myself, but I'm usually attracted to artistic and eccentric girls, so maybe I should visit Cambridge pretty often as well. :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Devil420:
Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about the interview with this particular person. So I can give only some general thoughts on the issue.

There are three types of interviewers in Said: faculty members, admission managers, and sector consultants. Usually, they try to match your profile (background and/or future plans) with the area of the interests of your interviewer. In such a case, your interview usually touches the specifics of your career and your desired professional field. So I think that those ‘though’ questions, for which Said interview is famous, usually happen during this type of an interview.

However, sometimes it is not possible to find an available interviewer who will understand the specifics of your job. In this case, people usually report that they have more of a goals/fit interview (i.e., with ‘why mba, now, here’ type of questions). If you have an interview with the admissions manager, you might also expect some behavioural questions (ethical dilemma etc). It didn’t happen in my case though.

Anyways, good luck to you!

Prashok:
Hmm, I meant not so much the nature of people as ‘the spirit of place’, if I may say so… And I’m afraid I’m really not in the position to comment on the quality of girls there :-D But, since you touched this matter – well, I’d say that the Open Day at Said had a somewhat lower proportion of girls:guys than the figure reported in their class profile. At Cambridge, they had not the open day, but the interview event, so the ratio f:m was closer to the one on the programme. But if you’re really after the artistic type, I would advise you to turn your attention to the students of another subjects within the university. You know that both Ox and Cam have the college systems, so, as a member of the college, you will have the opportunity to communicate with people with very different backgrounds, majoring in the variety of subjects. Creative, artistic, older, younger – you name it 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Guys..Just wonder..Does JBS send notification e-mail to those applicants who're dinged??

I'm waiting for my final result.. I had an interview on Nov 25 with a professor who came over for the MBA Tour.. I'm getting worried as it's been really quiet since then.. :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Yes, they inform you of the results even if those results are not positive; usually the day after your interview.
Your case sounds indeed unusual. But the official deadline for the R1 decision is 10 Dec, so I suggest you to mail them early in the morning 11 Dec.
Don't worry! They won't forget you!
Current Student
Send PM
greenoak wrote:
Prashok:
Hmm, I meant not so much the nature of people as ‘the spirit of place’, if I may say so… And I’m afraid I’m really not in the position to comment on the quality of girls there :-D But, since you touched this matter – well, I’d say that the Open Day at Said had a somewhat lower proportion of girls:guys than the figure reported in their class profile. At Cambridge, they had not the open day, but the interview event, so the ratio f:m was closer to the one on the programme. But if you’re really after the artistic type, I would advise you to turn your attention to the students of another subjects within the university. You know that both Ox and Cam have the college systems, so, as a member of the college, you will have the opportunity to communicate with people with very different backgrounds, majoring in the variety of subjects. Creative, artistic, older, younger – you name it 8-)

No worries -- I'm in Oxford right now (scored free internet at the Borders near High Street), so perhaps I will do some research and report back... :lol:

Agreed that the college system should make student life pretty interesting. I just passed by Exeter and Trinity (my choices), and they're a pretty short walk to the Said campus as well!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It's 11 Dec. I haven't heard from Cambridge. Should I call them and ask for the result? Not sure if it would be appropriate.
:(
greenoak wrote:
Yes, they inform you of the results even if those results are not positive; usually the day after your interview.
Your case sounds indeed unusual. But the official deadline for the R1 decision is 10 Dec, so I suggest you to mail them early in the morning 11 Dec.
Don't worry! They won't forget you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi Pakpimolw,

I think that an email asking for a status of your application would be appropriate. I would suggest that you provide some details about your application within this email - the date when you submitted and the date and the circumstances of your interview - in case there was some mistake while processing your file.

From my experience, the adcom managers at Cambridge are very supportive and usually answer emails really fast.

Good luck to you! And please, let us know of the outcome! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I submitted my R1.5 application on Nov, 19th (over 3 weeks ago) and JBS was supposed to give an answer approximately 2 weeks after that.

pakpimolw-> Dec 10th is a sharp (I mean non-approximate) deadline, you could contact them and ask...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Good luck to all Judge R1.5 applicants: your decisions are to come within the next four days!
EDIT LATER: it seems that the interview decisions were postponed till the next week... Another couple of days to wait... But perhaps you will hear something pleasant from your other R1 schools :wink:

Also, for those who consider to apply to Judge, here is the link to the Cambridge MBA Admissions blog, if you haven't seen it earlier:
https://cambridgembaadmissions.blogspot.com/
The blog is not so much about the admission process as about the school/university/city life - but it may help you to form a feeling of the place.

As for Said, we R1 applicants might have to wait until after the New Year. I know that last year, decisions were released before Christmas, but when I was at the Open Day event in November, we were told that the decisions would be out after the New Year, and only in some 'special circumstances' an applicant's fate would be known prior to that.

Although, I think that it is possible that we will hear something from Oxford after 17 Dec (the last interview date) and before 23 Dec. Just a minor possibility, though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Greenoak,

since you were there at Said, did u get to hear about any alternative to the Barclays loan which is no longer there. For international students(esp asian, coz poor exchange rates), without the loan things would be very difficult, especially in these times of recession. I reckon, one requires a minimum of Pounds 40000, to scape through either Judge/Said.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I am also waiting for a reply from Said. But yes it is really worrying about the Barclays Loan scheme pullout. Adcom have not managed to address the issue sufficiently. I read on the cambridge blogspot that the scheme is still ongoing there. Even LBS still have the loans for internationals. So why only Said? That is a worrisome thought for potential students isnt it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi friends,
the loan issue worries me a lot as well. I'm an international, and banks in my country don't have a loan scheme for education abroad at all :( .

Devil420:
When I was at Said, I asked about the loan during the interview (hope it was not too inappropriate). But what I learned was not encouraging: it's basically the same 'we are working on it', but I felt I was advised to found some alternative sources of funding... And the changes they did to SBS site point that the search for an alternative scheme has not been productive. So prospects are rather grim, if you ask me.

Sco:
Welcome at Gmatclub, and good luck with your app!
It's hard to say why some schools manage to keep their loan schemes, and the others don't. Schools that were lucky to still have them usually use this fact as a proof of their strong market reputation, but I believe that in reality, some other factors (connections etc.) also contribute to the situation. But I'm afraid that if SBS fails to resolve this issue, it will be perceived as a definitely 'weaker' school in comparison not only to LBS, but also to Judge.

EDIT LATER: All those awaiting for the Said decision - just saw the posts on other forums confirming that the emails won't be out until 9 Jan, as the R1 interviews will be continuing up to 7 Jan.
Current Student
Send PM
Yes, I'm afraid I'm one of the batch that is holding up decisions -- my Oxford interview is not scheduled until this Friday... :)

Good luck to everyone for JBS 1.5, BTW. Just a few more days!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
prashok wrote:

I have just noticed on their website that "Notification of interview decision" will take place on Dec 18th, which is today.

:hair :hair
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi lumone,

Don't worry if you get nothing today. They moved the decision date a bit - too many apps. They promise to send the mails 'by next week'.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
lumone wrote:
prashok wrote:

I have just noticed on their website that "Notification of interview decision" will take place on Dec 18th, which is today.

:hair :hair

Don't worry, for the first round they stated November 7th as an interview notification day but I received an invitation on November 11th. Although that caused so many visa troubles (getting UK visa in such a short period isn't easy at all), final outome was very covenient for me.

P.S. Your smileys rock, mate. :P :)

Originally posted by Pathfinder on 18 Dec 2008, 08:04.
Last edited by Pathfinder on 29 May 2009, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
No news from JBS. :|

My speculation:
It must be tomorrow then. :done

I don't see them delivering "dings" :no on Christmas Eve , and then they are probably on holidays until beginning of January :sleep . That's too late to give an answer for R1.5, especially that interviews :fight will be held on Jan 19th.
It just has to be tomorrow. :ouch
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  30