Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 01:52 It is currently 08 May 2024, 01:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: Renege after paying deposit [#permalink]
I don't see it as an ethical dilemma. When you paid your deposit you were intent on going to School B, and in the meantime things have changed. School B still comes out of the deal with your deposit money. Just tell them you've decided to attend another school. I'm guessing most schools are used to dealing with that sort of situation and know how to handle it.

I had to do the same thing last year after I put down a deposit for one of my R1 schools then was accepted to one of my R2 schools. It's not a big deal.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
It shouldn't be a problem, unless you applied early decision for School B.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everybody for your kind replies! These were definitely helpful.
The AdCom staff at school B has been extremely helpful throughout the entire process, so I think it will be polite to say thank you and be transparent about my decision.
I am just wondering whether there may be any consequences in telling them "I am going to school A" instead of, say, make up some personal/ family reasons. Still I think that in some way they will eventually know I did choose to attend school A.
What makes me really feel bad is that classes at School B start in just a few weeks, so that it would come to them almost as a "no show".

Would be great to have also the opinion of some of the MBA consultants here, which I assume would be better acquainted with how things at AdComs really work. Do you have any suggestion?
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Renege after paying deposit [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
It's okay. You can let them know the truth, being kind about it. It's probably the best. What might happen is they might come back with an offer for some extra scholarship which you might accept or refuse. But they have been doing this for longer than you. They know the game. You have to choose what is best for you and your life, and being transparent about it, is only respectful. A few K is also no big deal, in the scope of things.

Originally posted by Admissionado on 21 Dec 2011, 03:41.
Last edited by Admissionado on 14 Feb 2017, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Many thanks Precisionessay!
I am mostly concerned that reneging one school may somehow put at risk my acceptance at School A if information is shared among schools.

I heard "horror stories" about people reneging on Early decision at some school, and then also losing acceptance to all other schools they had applied as soon as the reneged upon school shared the information (please note I did not apply early decision, just regular decision, so I did not take any "binding" commitment other than paying my deposit not to loose my place in class). Therefore I am a little bit worried about what the legal consequences of a renege at this point in time may be.

Many thanks!
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
marvan53 wrote:
Many thanks Precisionessay!
I am mostly concerned that reneging one school may somehow put at risk my acceptance at School A if information is shared among schools.

I heard "horror stories" about people reneging on Early decision at some school, and then also losing acceptance to all other schools they had applied as soon as the reneged upon school shared the information (please note I did [b]not apply early decision, just regular decision, so I did not take any "binding" commitment other than paying my deposit not to loose my place in class[/b]). Therefore I am a little bit worried about what the legal consequences of a renege at this point in time may be.

Many thanks!

Then you have nothing to worry about. Trust me, this isn't the first time they've seen this situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Bookmarks
IMHO as long as the school still can take students on your seat, that is perfectly ok to resign! In that way you do what you want, somebody else takes your seat and the school stays with some $ for 'moral compensation' :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
marvan53 wrote:
Hello everybody,

I have been following discussions on the forum for quite a long time and finally decided to post.

I was accepted by my second-best Business School for the spring term (say School B), for which I paid a deposit to secure my place in class.

However, a few days ago I was called back from the waiting list by my first-choice school (very top tier, say School A). I now have to decide whether to accept the offer from my preferred school, and renege on my acceptance to the other second-best school (which means I will also lose my deposit).
What makes me feel bad about taking such a decision is that it will come with a very short notice to School B (consider I had accepted for the Spring term, which is going to start in just a few weeks, so that they will likely have very little time to find another candidate, or leave the place vacant).

I am now wondering what are the risks involved in reneging after accepting an offer for admittance and paying deposit?
Basically, this turns down to the following two questions:

- Can School B retaliate in some way on me or on School A, other than taking my deposit? How far can the consequences go (please, feel free to share "horror stories")?
- Shall I be transparent and tell School B that i decided to go to School A instead? Shall I not tell them I will be attending School B, how likely is it they will eventually find out and retaliate?

I would really appreciate any help in sorting this kind of ethical dilemma. It is really making me sleepless.

Thanks a lot!!!

It sounds like you are leaning toward your top school- which is what I would recommendl. Losing the deposit is just a cost of doing business and schools know this- I wouldn't worry about any long term consequences (other than not getting your deposit back!)
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
marvan53 wrote:
Hello everybody,
Unless this was a binding early decision, then I think I would not stress. Yes- not ideal but I don't think other than losing the deposit there will be long term consequences for you. Hope that helps.
I have been following discussions on the forum for quite a long time and finally decided to post.

I was accepted by my second-best Business School for the spring term (say School B), for which I paid a deposit to secure my place in class.

However, a few days ago I was called back from the waiting list by my first-choice school (very top tier, say School A). I now have to decide whether to accept the offer from my preferred school, and renege on my acceptance to the other second-best school (which means I will also lose my deposit).
What makes me feel bad about taking such a decision is that it will come with a very short notice to School B (consider I had accepted for the Spring term, which is going to start in just a few weeks, so that they will likely have very little time to find another candidate, or leave the place vacant).

I am now wondering what are the risks involved in reneging after accepting an offer for admittance and paying deposit?

- Can School B retaliate in some way on me or on School A, other than taking my deposit? How far can the consequences go (please, feel free to share "horror stories")?
- Shall I be transparent and tell School B that i decided to go to School A instead? Shall I not tell them I will be attending School B, how likely is it they will eventually find out and retaliate?

I would really appreciate any help in sorting this kind of ethical dilemma. It is really making me sleepless.

Thanks a lot!!!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3148 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
marvan53 wrote:
Hello everybody,
Unless this was a binding early decision, then I think I would not stress. Yes- not ideal but I don't think other than losing the deposit there will be long term consequences for you. Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi StratusMBACounselor

Does Early decision refer to Early round decision?
If yes then-->
Just out of curiosity ->What are the Implications a candidate might face if this was actually a Early Decision?

Regards
Stone Cold
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73109 [1]
Given Kudos: 18936
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There have been a few discussions on the ethicacy of reneging on the EA binding agreement....
https://gmatclub.com/forum/serious-ques ... 31419.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/dilemma-with ... 87924.html
more....
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
If you are saying this was a binding option- in other words when you applied it was clear that if admitted you would attend, then that is really a matter of ethics here. There were other rounds to apply in if you were not going to accept- and in fact the odds were probably in your favor if you were considered among candidates who made it clear this was their top school. So as a member of AIGAC, and also just as someone who prefers to have their word mean something, I would say you should honor your word in this case. If in fact you applied under those conditions, you really should not have applied anywhere else. So that's really the official line on that and I'm not sure I can say it any other way. I am not sure which schools you are speaking about so I can't be sure this was the case from what you said. If you did apply through a regular non-binding round it is also not ideal to not attend once you deposit but you were not admitted under special assumption that you would attend if accepted. I would say this is one for you to do some soul searching on- and not just think about what you "can" do but this is an opportunity to demonstrate that your word means something. If there are other parts to this that I don't know there may still be some other options to consider- like talking directly to the school and seeing how they feel about it. Only you know all the details here- and I wish you the best as you think through all this.
stonecold wrote:
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
marvan53 wrote:
Hello everybody,

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi StratusMBACounselor

Does Early decision refer to Early round decision?
If yes then-->
Just out of curiosity ->What are the Implications a candidate might face if this was actually a Early Decision?

Regards
Stone Cold
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
It is really an ethics and a cost issue for most schools. The fine print in some school's honor codes upon accepting will threaten potential legal action but I have not heard this ever coming to fruition. So it is really just in poor taste and you lose some money but ultimately you have to do what makes sense for you and your career given the constraints
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot