Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Anyone willing to take a look at my 'Table of Contents' essay? This thing is killing me--wish it was a normal essay!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
I will be up in Ithaca this weekend as my interview is Monday. If anyone wants to meet up to watch the NFL games or whatnot, feel free to send me a PM!
I'll give an overview of how the interview goes when I return on Tuesday or Wednesday!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time

GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE:Education (Health Care)
Send PM
snipes wrote:
Anyone willing to take a look at my 'Table of Contents' essay? This thing is killing me--wish it was a normal essay!

Definitely!
I would be happy to help out, My grandfather (a PhD) helped me with mine and gave me some really great advice.
He was the one who helped my uncle get into Johnson a few years back and my uncle later served as an admissions officer at Johnson.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I had a lot of great help in writing mine!

I just sent you a PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
dylanc wrote:
Do we have a current student or for that matter someone who can advise on the chances of an interview invite for international applicants in Round 3. I'm still not sure if round 3 is similar to a round 2 in other schools. Yes the timing is similar, but seems like a lot of admits have aldready been given so far.

Does anyone know how many of last year's R3's at Cornell got admits?

If you feel that your application is strong, then you certainly stand a chance to get accepted. Dont worry about the round, but applying early gives you an opportunity to get selected for scholarship
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi guys,

If you have already lost any hopes and got dings at all schools you applied to, you are welcomed to visit this thread the-2011-2012-zero-admit-club-126296.html and share your profiles and experiences.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [3]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
PTK wrote:
Hi guys,

If you have already lost any hopes and got dings at all schools you applied to, you are welcomed to visit this thread the-2011-2012-zero-admit-club-126296.html and share your profiles and experiences.

Dude, I think your post may be a bit preemptive, dont ya think. People are still receiving interview invites, and not trying to think about about going 0-for, no need for the doom-and-gloom. Lets try and keep the positive energy in these threads, for now at least.

Not cool bro
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
iamvolitant wrote:
snipes wrote:

Definitely!
I would be happy to help out, My grandfather (a PhD) helped me with mine and gave me some really great advice.
He was the one who helped my uncle get into Johnson a few years back and my uncle later served as an admissions officer at Johnson.

I just sent you a PM

I’ve gotten a few pm requests for help with this essay So I thought I might share a little more of my personal thoughts if they might be of help to others. I’m by no means a professional writer, I had just as much of a hard time on this essay as anyone else, but I’m starting to realize just how lucky I was to have five incredible essay reviewers to help me along the process. Thought I should pass it on to everyone still going for R4 or next year. Too bad I wasnt done earlier, it seems like most of us are already done writing and did rounds 1-3

The problem I first game across in this TOC essay is that I wanted my chapter headings to include all of my details from work (promotion received, money saved, project completed, etc.) my chapter titles were super long and loaded with details (mostly because I wanted to avoid being vague)

However in my first essay revision I was told that I missed the point completely.

This essay was for me to show creativity and be unique. The adcom already has my resume and a few other essays, they are not looking for another resume here, and they probably have hundreds of applicants who turned this table of contents into a second resume, so make sure it is different, don’t become one of those.

Also write it like a table of contents, avoid the outline format (III, A, 1, i, etc), having chapters 1-30 makes it clean, concise, and easy to read

I think this essay is a great place to talk about influential people who helped you in your life, and anything else you didn’t get to mention in your other essays and resume. My grandfather said to focus on who you are and what made you this person, talk about a life changing event from boy scouts or something, things that happened to you, people who taught you, something your parents did, and personal feelings, reflections on your own past, things you've learned, people you've helped.

Think about how a professional writer would see your life, they would try to turn every event into a compelling story that catches the reader’s attention. To make my story engaging I had to set aside a lot of my work details. I wanted to write chapter headings that would be memorable and pique the interest of my interviewer. I wanted to show up to interview and have him/her to say "hey tell me about that time you drove across 13 countries with only a tent to sleep in, that sounds crazy!".

I also think adcoms see plenty of essays that are simply brag sheets, I think it would be refreshing for an adcom to see something else, so really use this time to be unique. Your chapter headings can definitely still show leadership, ambition, decication etc. but write about who you are, not what you think the adcom wants you to be, they can see right through that.

finally, be yourself. :D

These are just my opinions on this essay in general, most of which came from feedback and critiques I received. I hope this advice helps someone get going in the right direction. This is definitely one of the toughest essays in my opinion, I had a good amount of writers bloc on this one.

Feel free to PM me with more questions, or if you want another set of eyes to read a draft, I’m happy to help wherever I can. I’ve definitely had a lot of help from others in the process, so hopefully I can pass it on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with PTK's post. Some people already have their admissions decisions so I think it's appropriate to have a thread for the people that didn't get into a school this go-round. R1 decisions are over and done with and R2 interview invite season will be wrapping up soon. Let's stop being so sensitive
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
iamvolitant wrote:
iamvolitant wrote:
snipes wrote:

Definitely!

I just sent you a PM

I’ve gotten a few pm requests for help with this essay So I thought I might share a little more of my personal thoughts if they might be of help to others. I’m by no means a professional writer, I had just as much of a hard time on this essay as anyone else, but I’m starting to realize just how lucky I was to have five incredible essay reviewers to help me along the process. Thought I should pass it on to everyone still going for R4 or next year. Too bad I wasnt done earlier, it seems like most of us are already done writing and did rounds 1-3

The problem I first game across in this TOC essay is that I wanted my chapter headings to include all of my details from work (promotion received, money saved, project completed, etc.) my chapter titles were super long and loaded with details (mostly because I wanted to avoid being vague)

However in my first essay revision I was told that I missed the point completely.

This essay was for me to show creativity and be unique. The adcom already has my resume and a few other essays, they are not looking for another resume here, and they probably have hundreds of applicants who turned this table of contents into a second resume, so make sure it is different, don’t become one of those.

Also write it like a table of contents, avoid the outline format (III, A, 1, i, etc), having chapters 1-30 makes it clean, concise, and easy to read

I think this essay is a great place to talk about influential people who helped you in your life, and anything else you didn’t get to mention in your other essays and resume. My grandfather said to focus on who you are and what made you this person, talk about a life changing event from boy scouts or something, things that happened to you, people who taught you, something your parents did, and personal feelings, reflections on your own past, things you've learned, people you've helped.

Think about how a professional writer would see your life, they would try to turn every event into a compelling story that catches the reader’s attention. To make my story engaging I had to set aside a lot of my work details. I wanted to write chapter headings that would be memorable and pique the interest of my interviewer. I wanted to show up to interview and have him/her to say "hey tell me about that time you drove across 13 countries with only a tent to sleep in, that sounds crazy!".

I also think adcoms see plenty of essays that are simply brag sheets, I think it would be refreshing for an adcom to see something else, so really use this time to be unique. Your chapter headings can definitely still show leadership, ambition, decication etc. but write about who you are, not what you think the adcom wants you to be, they can see right through that.

finally, be yourself. :D

These are just my opinions on this essay in general, most of which came from feedback and critiques I received. I hope this advice helps someone get going in the right direction. This is definitely one of the toughest essays in my opinion, I had a good amount of writers bloc on this one.

Feel free to PM me with more questions, or if you want another set of eyes to read a draft, I’m happy to help wherever I can. I’ve definitely had a lot of help from others in the process, so hopefully I can pass it on.

If you google help for this specific essay question, most websites will suggest using this to highlight personal experiences, leadership and ambition. I remember reading somewhere that the Johnson admissions team really enjoy reading this essay in particular

Personally, I made mine super personal and funny. I even have Justin Bieber and Kobe Bryant's names somewhere in my table of contents. Lol so maybe this is why I haven't been invited to an interview :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:ISB(Waitlisted) INSEAD(interview) Kellogg(Re-applicant i/w last time) Johnson(Re-applicant i/w last time) IESE(Re-applicant i/w last time)
 Q49  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 4
Send PM
I am from India and I am still to hear. I applied to the 30 Nov round. Do you guys think there is still a chance?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
Invited to interview…Received mail on last Monday.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]

Send PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa....
I got an invite from Johnson 4 hours ago. How did i not find out until now?? crazy Gmail..

anyway, Sweet!
going to Consortium Interview Days Feb 9th and 10th!

My work is going to get suspicious of my sudden surge of vacations to the north east in the middle of the winter...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Just submitted for R3. Here is to finally being done with Apps!
Got an invite to interview at Johnson. All the best to those who are still waiting!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
PTK wrote:
Hi guys,

Dude, I think your post may be a bit preemptive, dont ya think. People are still receiving interview invites, and not trying to think about about going 0-for, no need for the doom-and-gloom. Lets try and keep the positive energy in these threads, for now at least.

Not cool bro

Dude,
I said "if"..... No way i am trying to discourage people here, i just provide an information. Some guys like me, applied only to their top choice schools and only in R1. So there are may be people like me.
Good luck to all of you and fingers crossed!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT Date: 05-15-2012
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Me too.. now the wait... 8-)
rgupta83 wrote:
Just submitted for R3. Here is to finally being done with Apps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
How flexible is Cornell with the word count in the essays?

The outline format is taking precious space in my TOC essay!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  72   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts