Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which School do you recommend that I attend given my situation?

52% [29]
47% [26]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth($) vs Michigan Ross($$$$);UofM undergrad [#permalink]
What makes you think that a quant-heavy program is not ideal for Brand Management? Brand Management is healthily focused on quant. As you realize, based on your background, you need quant anyway. I say go with Booth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:

I'm sure you saw the Bain Pre-MBA Program announcement. Did you notice that it is only open to incoming students from Booth, CBS, HBS, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford, Tuck, and Wharton? Although your interests are in another field, I imagine this is not an isolated occurrence.

I think that is not quite correct. On Michigan's admit portal, there is a link for the "Connect with Bain" announcement.
I believe this is what you are talking about https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5305/bainu.jpg.

The list includes Ross, Darden and Fuqua in addition to the schools you listed. If there us something else that Bain posted for incoming students of the schools that you mentioned, then please let us know.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I don't think the fact that you went to U-M undergrad is really all that relevant in deciding on your B-school, especially since you're also weighing a scholarship offer - only a small percentage of Ross students are from Michigan so it's not as if the alumni base will be less diverse.

I guess it really comes down to how much you think you need your grad school to be a different "brand"...given your interests and the scholarship offer, I think Ross is the better choice between the two, but Booth will definitely open up the opportunities that you wantas well.

Originally posted by woomba on 30 Apr 2012, 17:04.
Last edited by woomba on 30 Apr 2012, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
topMBA12 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

I'm sure you saw the Bain Pre-MBA Program announcement. Did you notice that it is only open to incoming students from Booth, CBS, HBS, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford, Tuck, and Wharton? Although your interests are in another field, I imagine this is not an isolated occurrence.

I think that is not quite correct. On Michigan's admit portal, there is a link for the "Connect with Bain" announcement.
I believe this is what you are talking about https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5305/bainu.jpg.

The list includes Ross, Darden and Fuqua in addition to the schools you listed. If there us something else that Bain posted for incoming students of the schools that you mentioned, then please let us know.

I believe Cheetarah is referring to an actual Pre-MBA Program that Bain puts on in the summer. That program is only offered to incoming students at the 8 schools she mentions. That said, I'm sure that more schools than this 8 have opportunities to connect with Bain, but their Pre-MBA program is an example of an opportunity that is limited to select schools.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Tough choice here! For me, Michigan's strength in marketing and the full ride would be too hard to pass up. I think 5-10 years down the line, people will be more concerned about your performance than where you got your MBA. And I think the schools are close enough in terms of prestige that you'll have very similar opportunities post-MBA.

nrobinson wrote:
I've seen a lot of folks on here trying to make this decision (Booth for about $30k or Ross with a full ride through the consortium) However, I wanted to take a poll on my particular situation, given that I went to U of M for undergrad and have worked in Michigan every sense. I've travelled a lot and made a fair amount of relationships in other major cities, including Chicago. But the core of my network is here in Michigan. Is the Chicago alumni network worth the additional investment? Is it smart to forfeit the consortium network for the Chicago network? (I couldnt do the consortium if I dont go to Michigan)

I should also note that I am currently an Account Director in advertising with 7 years of experience. My goal is to go into brand management or marketing consulting. Michigan is higher ranked (US News) and better known for Marketing (or so I hear). However, Chicago's program is viewed as being more quantitatively focused, which would not be ideal, comprehensive training for those just entering the field, but as a person who has spent the last 7 years mastering the creative/tactical execution side of marketing (i.e. advertising), Im wondering if a highly quantitative program would help round out my resume.

At the end of the day, I know that I could get a good job coming out of either program. Im really just asking myself if having the Ultra-Elite Booth name behind me in the long-term is worth the investment? Will recruiters not like kindly on somone who doubled down on the same school in their home town? 5-10 years after graduation I would still be paying back loans, but will people still be talking about where I went to school? Or at that point is it all about what numbers you are putting on the board?

Thanks for your input!
VP
VP
Send PM
topMBA12 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

No. This is what I'm talking about. It's a diversity program held June 28-29 in NYC. I'm attaching the flyer. It clearly says it's open to incoming first year MBA students from Booth, HBS, Kellogg, CBS, Tuck, Sloan, Wharton, and Stanford. No other schools were listed.
Attachments

File comment: 2012 Bain Diversity Pre-MBA Program
2012 Bain Diversity Pre-MBA Program.pdf [382.73 KiB]
Downloaded 158 times

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
It also says it's only open to URM, so it's not exactly like the entire school is enjoying this advantage. ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
With your goals none of the schools has an overriding advantage.

So forget ratings, 'Bain only' invitations etc and choose a school in which you feel yourself more comfortable.

While I liked Chicago, I found its students somewhat nerdy and more restricted than Ross' guys.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Did you graduate from Ross in undergrad or a different Michigan program? I think if you were in one of the other colleges for undergrad then doing your MBA at Michigan wouldn't be viewed as repetitive at all.

Congrats on the $ and admissions at both schools though.
VP
VP
Send PM
method wrote:
It also says it's only open to URM, so it's not exactly like the entire school is enjoying this advantage. ;)

That's true. I was moreso doing the comparison between diversity opportunities that may come at a non-Consortium school vs. the benefits of the Consortium network. Since the Consortium is over 90% URM I figured it's an apt comparison. In no way was I saying that it's the only touch point or contact with Bain (or any other firm), but it's just an added opportunity only available to URM students from the 8 schools listed. Because the OP mentioned the the trade-offs in choosing to forego the Consortium network I just wanted to show that there other opportunities out there.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
method wrote:

That's true. I was moreso doing the comparison between diversity opportunities that may come at a non-Consortium school vs. the benefits of the Consortium network. Since the Consortium is over 90% URM I figured it's an apt comparison. In no way was I saying that it's the only touch point or contact with Bain (or any other firm), but it's just an added opportunity only available to URM students from the 8 schools listed. Because the OP mentioned the the trade-offs in choosing to forego the Consortium network I just wanted to show that there other opportunities out there.

That's a good point, I hadn't really thought about the Consortium piece much.

I can see both sides here, but for me the swing is the career interests. This is not a finance or MBB-or-bust consulting end goal, but rather brand management. As a Ross Consortium admit, the OP probably just saw the small mountain of marketing prep that came our way today full of brand charts, case interview prep, and other hand me down information along with tonight's marketing prep conference call. And at Ross, both of our Consortium liaisons are brand management seekers, interning with Pepsi and Target, so there's certainly some credit here as far as the advantages Consortium and Ross are providing with information and mentoring. Although, theoretically the OP could take all the information available now and still attend Booth!!

Also, at GBR, we discovered that the brand managers for both P&G and General Mills largest brands, Pampers and Cheerios respectively, are BOTH Ross Consortium alums (best friends in fact), and both did so just five years out.

P.S. I'm super-biased lol
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Ross for sure.
VP
VP
Send PM
method wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

That's a good point, I hadn't really thought about the Consortium piece much.

I can see both sides here, but for me the swing is the career interests. This is not a finance or MBB-or-bust consulting end goal, but rather brand management. As a Ross Consortium admit, the OP probably just saw the small mountain of marketing prep that came our way today full of brand charts, case interview prep, and other hand me down information along with tonight's marketing prep conference call. And at Ross, both of our liaisons are brand management seekers, interning with Pepsi and Target, so there's certainly some credit here as far as the advantages Consortium and Ross are providing with information and mentoring. Although, theoretically the OP could take all the information available now and still attend Booth!!

Also, at GBR, we discovered that the brand managers for both P&G and General Mills largest brands, Pampers and Cheerios respectively, are BOTH Ross Consortium alums (best friends in fact), and both did so just five years out.

P.S. I'm super-biased lol

General Mills is crawling with Ross alums. They're everywhere in the marketing department. I definitely don't think the OP would lose anything from a career standpoint by turning down Booth. Plus the extra savings is always helpful.

I was just saying that there are other opportunities for mentorship and company networking outside the Consortium so he/she wouldn't lose out by not being part of that network. If the OP wants to try something new for business school I think the options (especially if the OP changes his/her mind about career path) are sky high from Booth and being part of its network. As people recently told me, there's really no wrong choice here. Just comes down to what the OP wants from the MBA experience.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts