Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 23:55 It is currently 04 May 2024, 23:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Waitlist - September 2012 intake [#permalink]
What do you guys do, if another school accepted you and is waiting for a deposit, and you still don't know about insead (or even when the news will come)? Do you pay the deposit to the first school? Do you ask for a post-poning of the decision at the first school? (but this cannot be postponed forever either)...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
sandymp wrote:
What do you guys do, if another school accepted you and is waiting for a deposit, and you still don't know about insead (or even when the news will come)? Do you pay the deposit to the first school? Do you ask for a post-poning of the decision at the first school? (but this cannot be postponed forever either)...

Hi,
Personally, I wrote to my Admission's contact (AN) to ask her whether there would be any movement on INSEAD's waitlist before these deposit deadlines.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
I would ask for an extension at the accepted school AND write INSEAD like coinpan suggested above.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
enkie wrote:
I would ask for an extension at the accepted school AND write INSEAD like coinpan suggested above.

Good point.
Personally, I was waitlisted from R1, so my chances aren't high anymore (I would've gotten in by now otherwise). But for R2+ people, enkie's suggestion is the right way to go.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Im sorry to hear that coinpan. Though I would write INSEAD one last time -- it can't hurt at this point right? What are your alternative plans?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
enkie wrote:
Im sorry to hear that coinpan. Though I would write INSEAD one last time -- it can't hurt at this point right?

Sure, but it wouldn't change anything either: being a half-French male engineer, I wouldn't be bringing diversity. Given the number of times I could have been called from the waitlist (installment deadlines, etc) and haven't been called, I've come to terms with the conclusion that INSEAD won't be calling me.
enkie wrote:
What are your alternative plans?

I got accepted at LBS and IMD.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hhaa oh god, those are amazing schools! Congratulations. :D Our situations are reversed. I am waitlisted at LBS and never got off of it. How come no US schools?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
enkie wrote:
Im sorry to hear that coinpan. Though I would write INSEAD one last time -- it can't hurt at this point right? What are your alternative plans?

enkie - Have you made your decision? I see both INSEAD and Oxford are still "Green" :) !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hey AVbyT, I have. I walked away from my Oxford deposit (OUCH) and am attending INSEAD. This is why i am advising sandymp to ask for a deposit extension from the other school. I didnt ask for one from Oxford and ended up getting into INSEAD 10 days after paying the deposit. My mistake cost me about $8800 USD. :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
enkie wrote:
Hhaa oh god, those are amazing schools! Congratulations. :D Our situations are reversed. I am waitlisted at LBS and never got off of it. How come no US schools?

I guess it'd be a bit too far-fetched to suggest a swap of our seats in INSEAD and LBS ;)

As for why no US schools, I found them significantly more expensive* and not completely aligned with my goals. Also, I'm 30, so I felt it was a waste to have participants with 2- years of professional experience. And last but certainly not least, I'm getting married this summer and I needed to stay close to my wife.

* i.e. plainly too expensive when taking into account the opportunity cost of not working for an additional year
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ah that makes complete sense to me. Im also an older applicant and as such favored the euro schools like you do. Congrats on the impending wedding!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi enkie,

Can I ask why you would choose LBS over Insead. I have done fairly extensive research and by most accounts LBS students are unsatisfied, especially with recruiting. I think its a London thing rather an LBS thing. Also, big picture wise, 90% people who I spoke to who got in both choose Insead.

enkie wrote:
Hey AVbyT, I have. I walked away from my Oxford deposit (OUCH) and am attending INSEAD. This is why i am advising sandymp to ask for a deposit extension from the other school. I didnt ask for one from Oxford and ended up getting into INSEAD 10 days after paying the deposit. My mistake cost me about $8800 USD. :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
enkie wrote:

Enkie - I hear you but its done now. Congrats on the brave move! I'm sure it all be forgotten within the 1st few seconds of reaching the Fountainbleau Campus!

How's the count on MBAconnect looking like before decision week kickoffs?

Thanks...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
enkie wrote:

I couldn't wait any longer and deposit at School X was paid last week. (~6,500 usd)
They gave me over 2 weeks extension, and didn't agree to wait until June 1st.
They gave me a scholarship too, and I'm pretty much set on doing my MBA in September (my resignation from my job will take effect in August), so I couldn't risk not having anything if Insead turned out to be a ding.
The school I'm going to is pretty good as well.

I'm just a bit frustrated, that I couldn't make a fair decision having answers from both schools.

Who knows... I might still reconsider my school decision if I get into Insead... (and I'll be 1 deposit short..like you enkie)...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi all,

Well, this week R3 applicants should get their results from admission office - I hope this means there will be news for us waitlisters as well.

I have been here since R1, and personally speaking this week is my deadline - if no news this week I will consider this as a ding. The only possible future milestone I can think of is R3 admits deposit deadline, around the end of June, and this is too late – work, family, etc.

Hope for some good news this weeks – good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sorry I didnt reply sooner.

AVbyT, there are 425 admits in mbaconnect. Dont have time to do a complete nationality breakdown, but if you are curious about a specific nationality, i'd be happy to tell you.

tttrn333, Im not sure I understand your question. I didnt choose LBS over INSEAD. Though I will admit, at the beginning of my b school application journey, LBS was my first choice because I really wanted to be in London and work there after graduation (though that has changed -- I am now considering Asia as a possible region as well). I think the biggest draw for me was the fact that I could do an exchange for 6 months at another location (I had wanted to spend some time in Buenos Aires). But the more I researched about INSEAD the more I got excited about attending. I think next year will be a fantastic experience with an incredible group of people who are not only smart and ambitious but also adventurous and curious about the world.

sandymp, I am sorry to hear that. I know of a few other INSEAD kids who had also walked away from deposits, so at least you know that you are not alone if you later got in and decided to walk away from the current school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
enkie wrote:
Sorry I didnt reply sooner.

AVbyT, there are 425 admits in mbaconnect. Dont have time to do a complete nationality breakdown, but if you are curious about a specific nationality, i'd be happy to tell you.

Thanks enkie...Interesting...the count's dropped in the last few updates! Would be great if you could post the breakdown for Indians and Canadians please?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts