Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Holler! Any idea when we might expect to hear on the first summer-WL converts? I guess all R1, R2 admits have already paid in their second deposits? Any shreds of light ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Just checked last year's thread and it looks like they heard back starting the Monday after (that would have been yesterday). I'm thinking we should get some news very soon.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
oldmonk wrote:
Holler! Any idea when we might expect to hear on the first summer-WL converts? I guess all R1, R2 admits have already paid in their second deposits? Any shreds of light ?

For what it's worth, the incoming student directory now stands around 610-620 students. Past classes have been between 550-580 total students, so not sure what wait list capacity will look like this year. I'm not sure how much anyone can read into that data given that people may continue to drop if they get in off the WL somewhere else, or if Booth actively decides to increase the class size this year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey everyone - trying to make some life-changing decisions here and would really appreciate honest feedback. Does anyone have any insight of what are the chances of getting off the waitlist at this point?

I have to sign a new lease in NYC and start a new job in September - so wanted to know the chances that I might have to break the lease and pay back the signing bonus (both will be extremely expensive, as you can imagine:

1. would you happen to know if people still get off the waitlist in August/ September?
2. what deadlines are coming up for the admitted students (3 Round deposit is on 31st of July, I think, but when is tuition due for everyone?)?

I am planning on looking into the implications of breaking the lease or subletting separately, but as far as I understand, the chances of getting into a program at this point are minimal. Thank you so much for your help and advice in advance!
VP
VP
Send PM
riskylvrg wrote:
Hey everyone - trying to make some life-changing decisions here and would really appreciate honest feedback. Does anyone have any insight of what are the chances of getting off the waitlist at this point?

I have to sign a new lease in NYC and start a new job in September - so wanted to know the chances that I might have to break the lease and pay back the signing bonus (both will be extremely expensive, as you can imagine:

1. would you happen to know if people still get off the waitlist in August/ September?
2. what deadlines are coming up for the admitted students (3 Round deposit is on 31st of July, I think, but when is tuition due for everyone?)?

I am planning on looking into the implications of breaking the lease or subletting separately, but as far as I understand, the chances of getting into a program at this point are minimal. Thank you so much for your help and advice in advance!

I don't really know how many people get off the WL in August or September. Considering that orientation starts 9/5, I doubt that too many people are being added to the class at that point. For R1 and R2 admits all of our deposit deadlines have passed. I have no clue when the final tuition payment is due, but I highly doubt that a significant number of people will drop out of the class at that point. The only WL decisions I can see Booth admits holding out for are HBS, Stanford, and possibly Wharton. The movement on those WL would then have to coincide with admitted Booth students, so I'm thinking that it may impact 5-10 people max. If the class is at around 570-580 (which I don't know) then I don't know if they'd go to the WL to bump the # back up or be satisfied with 560-570.

I'm sorry I can't give a clearer picture of what might happen.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Can anyone throw some light on how long Booth's background checks take? I am planning to leave my current job soon, but would prefer having the checks/other formalities completed before I leave, in case there is something required of me (getting a hold of hard-to-reach recommenders, verifying pay stubs, etc). There doesn't seem to be much explanation about these pre-matriculation formalities; I am planning to quit mid to late July.....

Among Round 1 and Round 2 applicants, have any of you received confirmation of all the required checks being complete? Did your recommenders inform you if and when they were contacted by Booth?

Thanks a lot in advance, for your help!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone??? Cheetarah1980....?
Surely, many folks have pondered this question before? :?

PavlovianCondition wrote:
Can anyone throw some light on how long Booth's background checks take? I am planning to leave my current job soon, but would prefer having the checks/other formalities completed before I leave, in case there is something required of me (getting a hold of hard-to-reach recommenders, verifying pay stubs, etc). There doesn't seem to be much explanation about these pre-matriculation formalities; I am planning to quit mid to late July.....

Among Round 1 and Round 2 applicants, have any of you received confirmation of all the required checks being complete? Did your recommenders inform you if and when they were contacted by Booth?

VP
VP
Send PM

Sorry, I have no clue about this one. Have background checks even started yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hmmm......the admission packet said that they would start June 1, but if no admitted student has heard back, then you may be right - the checks might not have even started. I hope some of the current students, or those from earlier batches, can shed some light on the whole process.

P.S: I do think your postings on this forum are very helpful, and quite informative. Thanks!

cheetarah1980 wrote:

Sorry, I have no clue about this one. Have background checks even started yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
I do no think you have to be too worried about the background check unless you provided erroneous information knowingly. You certainly do not need to stay in your current job while they perform background checks. You should have provided the admission office your company's HR contact phone number. They will just check the history of your employment including title, base salary etc. as you reported on your application. Because this information is based on your employment history, whether you are employed at the time of check does not matter. Most schools utilize the service from Kroll, and this is the standard procedure they follow. I also do not think they will ask for any particular recommender or person in your company during the background check process. Most of the actions happen between HR and the admission office. I hope this helps!

Furthermore, Booth should only contact you if they find mismatch within information you reported vs. what they found out. So you should not expect any direct contact from admission office regarding background check since it all happens behind the scene.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
smkwei wrote:
I do no think you have to be too worried about the background check unless you provided erroneous information knowingly. You certainly do not need to stay in your current job while they perform background checks. You should have provided the admission office your company's HR contact phone number. They will just check the history of your employment including title, base salary etc. as you reported on your application. Because this information is based on your employment history, whether you are employed at the time of check does not matter. Most schools utilize the service from Kroll, and this is the standard procedure they follow. I also do not think they will ask for any particular recommender or person in your company during the background check process. Most of the actions happen between HR and the admission office. I hope this helps!

Furthermore, Booth should only contact you if they find mismatch within information you reported vs. what they found out. So you should not expect any direct contact from admission office regarding background check since it all happens behind the scene.

I agree.. the only reason this process would be difficult for you is if you lied in your application. So, if you didn't lie, then don't stress over it! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lemonems, smkwei - I think you misunderstood the flavor of the question. I am aware of the general info that smkwei stated below, however, I was looking to find out whether someone from R1/R2 had any factual timelines to offer. From another Booth thread, I got an indication that the timeline will run through July.....

Personally, I think I will quit my job in August, after any/all formalities have been completed. It is just prudence, not paranoia. Although, I would have liked to take more time off before the bschool grind.

lemonems wrote:
smkwei wrote:

I agree.. the only reason this process would be difficult for you is if you lied in your application. So, if you didn't lie, then don't stress over it! :)
VP
VP
Send PM
I wouldn't let the formality of background check keep you at your job longer than you want to be. You being at your employer is irrelevant to the process. You might be exercising too much caution to the detriment of your summer vacation. If you can afford to take more time off then do so. I left my employer a couple of weeks ago and I know others who left more than a month before I did. You know you want to join us in the wonderful world of funemployment.
lemonems, smkwei - I think you misunderstood the flavor of the question. I am aware of the general info that smkwei stated below, however, I was looking to find out whether someone from R1/R2 had any factual timelines to offer. From another Booth thread, I got an indication that the timeline will run through July.....

Personally, I think I will quit my job in August, after any/all formalities have been completed. It is just prudence, not paranoia. Although, I would have liked to take more time off before the bschool grind.

lemonems wrote:
smkwei wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hello PavlovianCondition, just to explain, I never misunderstood the nature of your question. I provided a single scenario in which you should be concerned about the background screen process. If that scenario does not apply, you should not be concerned at all and certainly not stay in your current job for longer than you wish.

As for one last advice, as an admitted student, you should have access to a dedicated admissions officer at Booth. I have been asking mine all kinds of questions, and he is always helpful and willing to answer. If you truly are concerned and wish for an answer, I advise you to contact your admission officer directly rather than reading any forum's speculative answer. As I mentioned, I do not believe we students will be contacted for anything regarding the background screening except for that one scenario, which does not apply to you. Again I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
smkwei - Fair enough. Thanks!

cheetarah1980 - "Funemployment".........pray, what be this wonderful state of existence thou speaketh of? :lol:

smkwei wrote:
Hello PavlovianCondition, just to explain, I never misunderstood the nature of your question. I provided a single scenario in which you should be concerned about the background screen process. If that scenario does not apply, you should not be concerned at all and certainly not stay in your current job for longer than you wish.

As for one last advice, as an admitted student, you should have access to a dedicated admissions officer at Booth. I have been asking mine all kinds of questions, and he is always helpful and willing to answer. If you truly are concerned and wish for an answer, I advise you to contact your admission officer directly rather than reading any forum's speculative answer. As I mentioned, I do not believe we students will be contacted for anything regarding the background screening except for that one scenario, which does not apply to you. Again I hope this helps!

cheetarah1980 wrote:
I wouldn't let the formality of background check keep you at your job longer than you want to be. You being at your employer is irrelevant to the process. You might be exercising too much caution to the detriment of your summer vacation. If you can afford to take more time off then do so. I left my employer a couple of weeks ago and I know others who left more than a month before I did. You know you want to join us in the wonderful world of funemployment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Folks,

The Booth 2013 thread is up & running and I guess its time to bid our beloved Booth 2012 thread goodbye! We should lock this thread now for any further discussions.

Admitted students can move their discussions to the Booth Class of 2014 thread while the Booth 2012 Waitlist thread will continue to be in operation for those on the summer waitlist...

Final thoughts anyone??

P.S. Do stop over at the Booth 2013 thread and give a shout of encouragement to the applicants of Fall 2013! :)
VP
VP
Send PM
Awww, I can't believe it's come full circle. Goodbye dear thread...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  111   112   113   114   115   116   117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts