Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 13:50 It is currently 08 May 2024, 13:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1176 [80]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1176 [0]
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51490 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: From 600-540-580-710 (Finally achieved in 4th Attempt) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for the tip man
I always fail to have a good sleep on the eve of important test dates.
And some people who had massive scores said that they work their best in the morning.
I will definitely book my test slot in the afternoon just to make sure I slept OK.
A V40 is an amazing achievment.
Cheers!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73113 [2]
Given Kudos: 18936
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow - Congratulations. Very well done a great story about not giving up!

Added to the list: best-gmat-stories-period-98512.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Congratulation! Improving 17 points on the verbal is incredible. I also have taken e-gmat SC and I have to agree with you that it is quite helpful! Can you elaborate a little bit about e-gmat RC and CR? Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congratulations for the good score! I too am the one who has not been able to cross the barrier of even 600 in my last two attempts. Any guidance will be helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1176 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Samwong wrote:
Congratulation! Improving 17 points on the verbal is incredible. I also have taken e-gmat SC and I have to agree with you that it is quite helpful! Can you elaborate a little bit about e-gmat RC and CR? Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks Samwong!!!
I think there is a lot of difference in between the Live e-gmat class & e-gmat course without verbal live. They key thing is understanding the approach/thinking/thought process of the instructors when they attempt the questions. E-gmat conducts free live classes on all sections, and if possible kindly attend one of those.

For CR: Rajat's pre-thinking session is awesome. Pre-thinking is one tool for CR that will help you in assumption, strengthen, weaken, evaluate, paradox type questions. It will help you all the way in CR provided u develop that skill through at-least 30-40 practice questions.
For RC: I was always looking for some strategy that can help me with RC. I almost exhausted all resource materials. Finally Ron's(one of e-gmat instructor) strategy suited me and helped me out. I was amazed with the increment with my accuracy from 60-65% to 85%+ in gmatprep Q collections. I already mentioned my strategy in my debrief. With just one strategy things changed a lot for me. And that was cover the answer choices and answer the question from own understanding followed by a POE.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1176 [0]
Send PM
GMATBomber wrote:
Congratulations for the good score! I too am the one who has not been able to cross the barrier of even 600 in my last two attempts. Any guidance will be helpful.

GMATBomber
I know how it feels when someone fails back to back. But kindly send me a pm with some more details- what are the splits in Q & V and send your own brief analysis. I will definitely try to help you with my own knowledge/understanding.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations!!! great score, great debrief! You deserved this after trying so had and not letting it go! Proud of you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1331 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Great debrief you worked hard for your score, very well deserved :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Sourh7wk,

Congratulations ....

I am also planning to join e-gmat for the verbal online course . The Live prep course seems to be good but it is too expensive. Let me know how much helpful verbal online course will be as I am very week in RC.

Also please provide me the link for gmat prep verbal cr/rc/sc document by Souvik101990 which you have mentioned in your post .

Please guide me on my above 2 queries.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1176 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
gmatchin2013 wrote:
Hi Sourh7wk,

Congratulations ....
I am also planning to join e-gmat for the verbal online course . The Live prep course seems to be good but it is too expensive. Let me know how much helpful verbal online course will be as I am very week in RC.
Also please provide me the link for gmat prep verbal cr/rc/sc document by Souvik101990 which you have mentioned in your post .
Please guide me on my above 2 queries.
Thanks.

Hi gmatchin2013
thanks a lot!!!
There is certain differences between the verbal online & Verbal live course. If you think that you will be benefited by understanding the actual thought process of an instructor, then go for Live course. There you will find how the instructors answer a particular question with their strategy. You have to mimic the same thinking and strategy and practice questions.

And if you think that you can manage with the recorded explanations then Only verbal online is sufficient. They best way i would suggest is to attend a few live classes on CR-Prethinking, Strategy & RC (i think they have started now a free live RC session too). Kindly contact e-gmat admin to find out their schedule.

the-most-comprehensive-collection-of-everything-official-cr-140375.html
the-most-comprehensive-collection-of-everything-official-sc-140372.html
the-most-comprehensive-collection-of-everything-official-rc-140373.html
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32980 [1]
Given Kudos: 4473
Send PM
Kudos
This is great. Fantastic. stunning

It shows your endurance

personally speaking I do not believe in Gmat in 1 or 2 months (well the score of course are true but are really few cases)

Those are the stories I love to hear

Congratulations

Originally posted by carcass on 21 Nov 2012, 14:45.
Last edited by carcass on 22 Nov 2012, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32980 [0]
Given Kudos: 4473
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Thanks for the tip man
I always fail to have a good sleep on the eve of important test dates.
And some people who had massive scores said that they work their best in the morning.
I will definitely book my test slot in the afternoon just to make sure I slept OK.
A V40 is an amazing achievment.
Cheers!

Ya this is a really great tip :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi SOURH7WK , congratulate on your score.
I took the test on 20th and scored 710 (Q50/V35), and I planed to retake the test on next Jan.
I saw your practice score on MGMAT and GMATprep Verbal are close to me (range 36-42) but I could only score V35 on the real test. Could you please share your experience on the test day on Verbal session?
In the Verbal session, I found it quiet good at the beginning and the first 10th questions seems going smooth. But I felt terrible and absolutely nervous once I got to questions 12th to 20th. They made me crazy and my mind seemed to stop for minutes. From the 21st question, I still got around 35 minutes but when I went to question No. 33th going forward, I found them too easy to get the right answers. At the end, I ended up 5 minutes in spare and could only score 35.
I'd like to score V40+, and I am appreciate if you could share your approach and strategy on Verbal session. I am not a native speaker and Verbal is my huge weakness.
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hi SOURH7WK,
amazing story! and amazing score!
I wish i would end up like you!

i have a question about your verbal improvement.
what mistakes were you doing prior to your E-Gmat online course? I mean, you went through MGMAT SC which is a great source and covers almost everything so im trying to figure out what have you changed from V30 to V40 in that area.

also, in CR, what was your approach what tackling a question? did you write stuff down on the paper or just attacked the question?

I also went through MGMAT SC + PowerScore CR Bible and still have some stupid mistakes.

thanks and good luck!
roy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
SOURH7WK wrote:
Dear All
First of all i want to thank all forum members for their wonderful support in this forum.And of-course special thanks to BB & Bunuel.
After a long journey of more than 2 years i finally ended up with a decent GMAT Score. I took my test on 14th Nov 2012 and I am happy with my recent score.
Take 1: 600 (Q47, V26) AWA 5.0 (Oct'10)
Take 2: 540 (Q45, V19) AWA 4.5 (Dec'10)
Take 3: 580 (Q48, V23) AWA 4.5 IR 5 (Jul'12)
Take 4: 710 (Q49, V40) AWA/IR Awaited

I don't want to discuss about my first 2 attempts. The summary is - I was not prepared fully for GMAT and only used OG 12 & few MGMAT Verbal books for my preparation. I prepared for only 2-3 months and i knew that my prep was not sufficient. After that I took a break for 1 year.

Take 3: Started my prep once again in around Feb 2012. I took a local GMAT coaching class too. I knew my weakness was my verbal part. I was moderately good on Quant side, so did not bothered to devote much time in Quant. I focused 80% of my study towards Verbal.

Test Prep Materials Used:
1. OG 13
2. MGMAT SC, CR, RC
3. Powerscore CR Bible
4. Kaplan 800
6. Grockit ( I almost solved 7000+ Question in Grockit) My XP is 56660
7. 4GMAT material (local coaching centre) : Quant is quite good and teachers are also good in quant.

MOCK Tests:
GMAT prep1.0 1: 650 (48, 32)
MGMAT 2 : 690 (46,38)
MGMAT 3 : 680 (47, 36)
MGMAT 4: 670 (46, 35) (Taken at office)
MGMAT 5: 710 (49, 38)
MGMAT 6: 720 (47, 41)

GMAT prep2.0 1: 700 (48,38) IR 5
GMAT Prep2.0 2: 680 (48,35) IR 8
GMAT prep2.0 Retake 720 (50,37) IR 7

But in real GMAT on 25th July 2012 I scored a dismal 580 (48, 23). And I attribute that failure to my sleepless night before Test day. I could not sleep for a minute that night due to intense anxiety. It happened in my 2nd attempt too. My test was scheduled on 9.00 AM and during the test i was feeling as if I was having a hangover with severe headache. Some how I tried to concentrate on the exam but could not do my best. Quant questions were moderate and I was able to answer properly. Got 2 Question on probability and 1 on combination. I thought I was doing good. In verbal I could not concentrate after first 10-15 Questions. I was feeling that I should finish the exam as soon as possible. And i was picking up answer quickly without applying the strategies I learned during my studies. I could not concentrate on RCs (2 from social sciences). I felt they were much convoluted with heavy words. I did not felt any difficulties with timing both in Q/V parts.

I was pretty down after my 3rd attempt. I came back home and posted my 1st post on GC forum that day. From then I am following this forum very actively and started solving/sharing thoughts on GC questions. And on the same day I subscribed for e-gmat verbal live course and started once again my preparation for 4th attempt.
Takeaways from 3rd attempts:
1. A good sleep is much more important before the Test
2. For increasing Q score beyond 47-48 is to nail down much more DS question. I was quite good with PS. I almost solved all PS Qs in GMAT Prep Mocks. I used to get 10-12 Qs wrong in Quant and almost all are DS.
3. For Verbal I need some quite good strategy to crack RCs (unfamiliar topics: For me social sciences)

Take 4: This time I booked my test slot in afternoon session ie 1.00 PM

Test Prep Materials
1. OG 13 (Focused heavily on Official verbal questions)
2. e-gmat Verbal Live
3. GC Tests (I am lucky to collect 25 Kudos in 15 days after i started participating in forum)
4. Gmatprep Verbal RC/CR/SC Questions collection by Souvik101990 (Thanks bro for this awesome collection).
5. GC forum questions (Thanks to Bunuel, Evajager, Gurpreet, piyatiwari and all for their incredible contribution)
6. Took only 3 mocks (MGMAT 1A: 710, Q49,V38) Veritas1: 660 (Q49, V35) GMATPrep 1:720 (Q49,V39)

After I subscribed to E-gmat course I realized my shortfalls in my verbal strategy. The course was very very helpful to bring up my V23 score to V40. And I would fully attribute my verbal success to e-gmat. A ton of thanks to the ace teachers of e-gmat (Rajat, Payal & Shraddha) for putting up their efforts in this forum too. I got everything I needed to crack SC and RC (the RC strategy worked very well with me). Knowledge of sentence structure & attacking SC question by splitting the clauses was the key in improving on SC.

To get a good sleep before the exam I had to cheat my brain this time. The evening before the test day I went to a long Jog and did 100 squats. Leg muscles are quite large muscle and i know if i can give a good stretch on those i will get a good sleep due to fatigue. Somehow I managed to sleep 4-5 hours in early morning hours. I woke up at 9.30 AM and i was feeling very good. Took some good food and headed towards Test center.

Test Day Experience Take 4:
AWA was quite normal and i could manage to utilize the strategy of chineseburned.
IR has bombed me with back to back MSR Question from 2nd question onward. It look a lot of my time and i had to guess a lot. I think I did very bad in IR and will end up in poor score. One of my concern right now.
Quant was very good almost like GMAT Prep Questions. Most of the question on number properties, ratio, percentage, statistics. Got 1 DS prob & 1 Combination. And few Geometry questions. I could not solve last two questions due to insufficient time. But the questions were very easy. I utilized my breaks quite well with a banana and some glucose water, washed my face and stretched my self a bit ti increase the blood circulation.
Now Comes the verbal: Started with 2-3 SC questions and then CR. Initial questions were easy ones and I just followed the e-gmat strategy to solve all verbal questions. I did not bothered what is right. I just made sure i strictly apply the strategies learned through e-gmat. I was not searching the right answer, rather i was eliminating the wrong ones. (This is the key in verbal portion). This time I went very smoothly with first 3 RCS and i was very confident about the answers. The strategy for RC was to comprehend the passage-answer few basic questions to myself (what is the authors point, what is the inference, how diff paras support each other) and attack the questions. While answering i did not look at option and rather pre-thought the correct answer and then POE. This time I got 2-3 difficult SCs- the structure was so complicated/awkward that i could not get the meaning of sentence. CR was pretty straight forward with 3-4 Strengthen Qs, 1 Evaluate, 2 weaken Qs, 1 Assumption and few complete the passage. I did not face any BF Qs. I got my last RC at 34th question and it was a short one. I had 8 mins to go. I kept myself cool and did not bothered about the remaining time. After that 2 easy SC and 3 CRs. I just finished in time.
Did the survey and clicked to report the score. I saw a 710 with 40 on verbal. I was just shocked and quickly went out to take my unofficial score card.

Only few suggestions from my side:
1. Good sleep is most important factor before the Test Day. Make sure you get a good sleep by anyhow.
2. Keep cool during the exam and always try to apply the strategies you learned in your studies.
3. Don't start preparation with OG. First make your base and then hit OG. Good quality Verbal questions are rare.
4. And please don't waste time and break your head on un-official questions from unreliable sources. This will waste your precious time.

I am extremely sorry for my poor english and this long post. Please feel free to post any question. I will try my best to answer those.

congrats on your score improvement. i was amazed to see your patience in taking the test 4th time. i would have given up by now. i am in a similar boat where my first two attempts on mgmat have bombed with 560 and 540 scores. so trying to work on my verbal and DS questions which is where I am the weakest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Dear SOURH7WK,

Reading your story is really inspiring. I have done two exams already, 540 and 560, and my story is a bit the same. I did my second exam this December, I was scoring around 700 in GMAT Prep and was confident. I bombed the GMAT, i was really nervous at the exam and I realized my Verbal was not good, V28.

I will consider E-Gmat as a complement to my preparation, but mainly I would like to congratulate you!

Best regards!
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3603 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Hard work will eventually be paid !!

Very nice score on verbal but 710 with q49 and v40 is not common. I got 710 with Q50 and V 35. 5 verbal points vs 1 quant is weird. WIth this breakup you should have got 730 at least or you should have scored less than 49 on quant to score 710 with V40.

NVM.... congrats for your achievement and good luck for appls... which schools have u finalized
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts