Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 00:29 It is currently 19 May 2024, 00:29
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  15   
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73261 [1626]
Given Kudos: 18985
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73261 [0]
Given Kudos: 18985
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [0]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink]
I liked the book 'The autobiography of a Yogi'. There are many many good books. you guys have listed quite a few. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Work: Manager
Send PM
Hi BB,

Thanks for the list. I am starting with Fountainhead. I wonder why a classic - Austen or one of the Bronte sisters' books doesn't figure in the list? Wuthering heights, Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice(this one's cliche). The english is convoluted and requires close attention to follow the story, which could sharpen a reader's listening skills.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi guys,

These books are great for GMAT, but I'm preparing TOEFL right now. Which of these books would you recommend?

Is there a specific list or topic about TOEFL books (not for preparation, but for vocabulary) on this forum, other than "400 must have words..."?

Thank you so much guys, I've just finished my TOEFL and GMAt study plan, but without this forum and most of all without reading your experiences i couldn't do such a detailed and useful plan! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
BB, I apologize if this has been asked before, but what makes a good GMAT book? Why are these books better than others? Do you think it would be worth reading any of these if one is already a native speaker?

Thank you so much for all of the work you do and help you provide.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Just read it, I think every non native should also: "A brief history of time". Beautiful, a good read, well written.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,

I found this information helpful since i do have same problem with verbal section that i never finish this in time because it takes long time to read and comprehend. I have one question though. Its mentioned that keeping a dictionary and refering to it improves vocabulary and speed too. When i do the same, I keep on looking into dictionary many times and in a process loose my reading speed. Is there any solution or suggestion?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65353 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Expert Reply
bmb19762002 wrote:
Hi,

I found this information helpful since i do have same problem with verbal section that i never finish this in time because it takes long time to read and comprehend. I have one question though. Its mentioned that keeping a dictionary and refering to it improves vocabulary and speed too. When i do the same, I keep on looking into dictionary many times and in a process loose my reading speed. Is there any solution or suggestion?

If you have to look at the dictionary very often, reading the book is not worth it. Neither will you develop speed, nor retain interest in the book. Read books where you understand almost everything that is going on without the need to look into the dictionary. Even if there are words you don't understand, you will get their meaning from context. GMAT anyway doesn't have a separate vocab section. We usually develop most of our vocab from context, not from a dictionary until and unless there is a need to actively develop vocab. Of course there is no harm in checking a word here or there. If you can understand most of the written material in a standard English daily, you are fine as far as vocab in GMAT is concerned.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
"The Finkler Question" by Howard Jacobson would definitely be a book to recommend if you happen to be a bittersweet humor and a comic cynism lover. It's one of those books that keep your brain active, not that any other book doesn't, but this one in particular challenges you at the point that every single line is unmissable nothing will be trivial and of course it will manage to get a smirk out of you quite often.

Really well crafted and winner of "The man booker prize 2010".

P.S. it's a pretty good lecture for CR in a non directly didactic way, I'd venture.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 282
Send PM
I'm a non-native English speaker and suffered a lot with verbal section two times. I got to know that there is no short cut to success. So I started reading novels. initially I have read one of Ayn Rand novel but it took considerably very long time because of boring stuff. Next time, one of my friend suggested Dan brown books for interesting reads. In next three months I could complete three books and now I'm on his fourth book.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Great selection. I'll have to head over to the local book store and find a few of the listed books.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I have started to read The Great Gatsby last night, but I feel it is very meaningful ... Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.’
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3679 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Great quote from the book. Did you get a chance to see the film yet?

It's a good idea to read the book and watch the film - did you catch all the metaphors/symbolism/meaning?

An important thing to note though is that the GMAT is not an english literature class. You don't need to know symbolism and metaphors -- you do need to know, however, the INTENTION of the author. What is the author trying to say?

Whereas in literature there can be all styles of writing with no clear structure, in GMAT passages they are going to be structured. So certainly the Great Gatsby is a great read -- but don't neglect traditional sources of writing that cover social sciences like Economist or Harvard Magazine, to name a few.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Would you guys recommend game of thrones? The english is quite old comapred to the gmat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Send PM
Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World (https://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0143116800)- is a beautifully written book about world finance system between WW1 and WW2 .
Highly recommend as a relaxing reading that will boost your vocab
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Hi bb, I am retaking the GMAT, my previous score was awful, although I had studied hard. My primary weak point, like of many other non-natives is the RC part. I delighted in your view to read such books, but can't find them in my country. Do you know any of such books available online or as e-books, preferably for free, as again we have constraints in paying charges through the Internet?!!!!
Thank you very much
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Thank you very much for sharing your recommendation books especially for non-native speaker!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Send PM
I would like to recommend a book that I am reading, 'How to be a better Person' by Seb Hunter. It's downright hilarious.
I think Brits have richer vocabulary than Americans do (no offence) and the writer is no exception. The book has extensive vocabulary and is fun to read. Just give it a try.

Peace.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi BB,

I just took my second take few days back and got to know that the major issue with my score is reading comprehension.

I am planning to retake exam in coming 1 and half months.

Do you think reading fiction can help me improve in such a short duration ?

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14029 posts