Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 17:37 It is currently 02 May 2024, 17:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Easier for foreigner from small country get into top-tier? [#permalink]
MABE wrote:
Is it then so that some of these students having lower than average grades (GPA or GMAT) are foreigners the universities accept to create a greater diversity among the candidates - or something in that direction? Is it so that, if there are no other, or poor norwegians (or scandinavias for that matter) applying for these universities, might the threshold for me being accepted be lower for say an american citizen?

Generally speaking, having a stellar profile and career achievements will off set a low GPA or GMAT. If being from an underrepresented country is what makes you "unique" then it's probably not going to be good enough. While schools like to have a diverse class, and nationality is definitely one of the categories, they won't sacrafice quality and standards just to have the token guy from country X attend.

Keep in mind, Bschools want to admit people who will contribute to the community, thrive in the classroom, and be attractive to recruiters. Simply being Norwegian doesn't tell the adcom if you can do these things.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Send PM
Thanks for the respons, everyone.

"Generally speaking, having a stellar profile and career achievements will off set a low GPA or GMAT." --> What if i already have made it to financial news channels as expert commentator on international financial markets (representing my international news bureau in the biggest private news channel in Norway) and co-founded a startup operating from Nice, France together with a french investor and already few months after launch being nominated "best startup in the Nordics 2012"?

Moreover, is the GPA based on the last education, or everything altogether? It may sound strange, but my grades on the masters (Norwegian B-average - which according to unis like LSE is acceptable for entry requirements) are higher than on the bachelor..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
MABE wrote:

"Generally speaking, having a stellar profile and career achievements will off set a low GPA or GMAT." --> What if i already have made it to financial news channels as expert commentator on international financial markets (representing my international news bureau in the biggest private news channel in Norway) and co-founded a startup operating from Nice, France together with a french investor and already few months after launch being nominated "best startup in the Nordics 2012"?

Now that's pretty cool and something you could write about in your essays! See how your nationality is fairly irrelevant in this achievement?

MABE wrote:
Moreover, is the GPA based on the last education, or everything altogether? It may sound strange, but my grades on the masters (Norwegian B-average - which according to unis like LSE is acceptable for entry requirements) are higher than on the bachelor..

MBA programs focus on your undergraduate GPA because:

1) Everybody has a Bachelors
2) That's the metric that is reported for the class profile, rankings, etc.

Having a masters is another data point and usually can't hurt, but most schools won't ignore your undergrad GPA for having a good grad GPA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
Admissions people tend to read for a geographic area--for example, focusing in on Latin American or South East Asian candidates. My guess is that your profile will be reviewed by someone in charge of Europe and you'll be compared to your European peers based on GMAT, GPA, etc. Being Norwegian may help a teeny tiny bit, but I'm guessing that they got a bunch of European applicants and if it comes down to the French dude with a 750 from La Sorbonne and a Norwegian from a mid-tier school with a so-so GMAT, they're going to still go with the French dude. The actual major advantage you probably have is that your English reads really natural, which is not going to be the case of every other European.

Have you taken the GMAT yet by the way? It's an American test, so I'm sure it'll be easy for you! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Norwegian, nah! Faroese, now we're talking about diversity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
machichi wrote:
Admissions people tend to read for a geographic area--for example, focusing in on Latin American or South East Asian candidates. My guess is that your profile will be reviewed by someone in charge of Europe and you'll be compared to your European peers based on GMAT, GPA, etc. Being Norwegian may help a teeny tiny bit, but I'm guessing that they got a bunch of European applicants and if it comes down to the French dude with a 750 from La Sorbonne and a Norwegian from a mid-tier school with a so-so GMAT, they're going to still go with the French dude. The actual major advantage you probably have is that your English reads really natural, which is not going to be the case of every other European.

Have you taken the GMAT yet by the way? It's an American test, so I'm sure it'll be easy for you! :)

:) La Sorbonne is actually a very average university in France vs. the top Engineering Schools (Polytechnique, Centrale, Mines, ...), top Business Schools (HEC, ESSEC, ESCP, ...)and other Grandes Ecoles (Sciences Po, ENS, Paris-Dauphine, ...)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi MABE,
Yes, I think it gives you some advantage, when you are European (especially from a small country) applying to US schools, since US schools always strive to be more international and diversify the class. You can also see here https://www.aringo.com/MBA_admission_cha ... ulator.htm that if you are "European applying to American program" it slightly increases your admission chances.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with others - being from an under-represented country can give you an edge only if all else is equal. I am from Estonia and I have received both admits and dings from top-tier schools. I had a very good profile, not stellar though. So I don't think there was any correlation between the country of origin and acceptance.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Just be aware that when applying to top American programs, that admissions expects GMAT and TEOFL scores from candidates from Scandinavia and Benelux to be very high. As for geographic diversity, I have noticed that candidates from developed countries like Norway are scrutinized to a higher level than are candidates from less developed countries. So, I would not bet my application on being from Norway as providing much to the diversity of the school.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot